Angus Association Good/Bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully said:
************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
One thing that all breed associations do is take your money.

Duh?

Should they be free?

How do they pay staff, or brand, or buy computers/servers?

I think Angus should charge $100 per registration, and make it mandatory to DNA test in order to register an animal. Every single Angus bull should be required to have the genetic bundle test, carriers automatically disqualified for registration.

I can think of a whole lot more things, but this is a start.

Angus would be far better if it were more expensive. Membership should be $10k. No one year memberships, etc. Only lifetime memberships. That money could be poured into expanded member services and worldwide branding.

Think I'm off base here? Think again. Consider Mar-a-Lago, there is always an option to play golf on a public course but people line up to get into Trump's club, why I ask? People pay up for that which is exclusive. Story as old as time.

You should make a break away association, call it the elitist angus association.

I think you are on to something there, cause if they did enact those changes and prices all that would be left would be the elites and probably some wanna be's that would try to play along until they couldn't. I only commented on this because I have heard some local Angus enthusiasts tout for years how great it was that Angus association had the least expensive registrations in the industry. I have heard that price hikes in other breeds services caused significant loss of membership.

Redgully said:
************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Duh?

Should they be free?

I think Angus should charge $100 per registration, and make it mandatory to DNA test in order to register an animal. Every single Angus bull should be required to have the genetic bundle test, carriers automatically disqualified for registration.

Angus would be far better if it were more expensive. Membership should be $10k. No one year memberships, etc. Only lifetime memberships. That money could be poured into expanded member services and worldwide branding.

Think I'm off base here? Think again. Consider Mar-a-Lago, there is always an option to play golf on a public course but people line up to get into Trump's club, why I ask? People pay up for that which is exclusive. Story as old as time.

You should make a break away association, call it the elitist angus association.

Not a bad idea. There are a few breeders in KY that would probably sign up. One is about 15 minutes drive from my operation

Ky hills said:
Redgully said:
************* said:
Duh?

Should they be free?

I think you are on to something there, cause if they did enact those changes and prices all that would be left would be the elites and probably some wanna be's that would try to play along until they couldn't. I only commented on this because I have heard some local Angus enthusiasts tout for years how great it was that Angus association had the least expensive registrations in the industry. I have heard that price hikes in other breeds services caused significant loss of membership.

Yep, red polls in Australia, put the fees up 5% a year, all the juniors where pushed out and now the breed is on the verge of collapse. I'm most likely pulling the pin any day, got some speckle park embryos going in next month.

Let's see here, you push out 99% of the members and then who buys the high dollar registered stock? Oh, you sell them to the guys playing golf on the exclusive golf courses? Yea! That was easy.

Ebenezer said:
Let's see here, you push out 99% of the members and then who buys the high dollar registered stock? Oh, you sell them to the guys playing golf on the exclusive golf courses? Yea! That was easy.
What Branded would have is no AAA

************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Duh?

Should they be free?

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic. I hope so anyway. There would be a mass exodus of AAA to commercial. Essentially, 1% of AAA breeders would be left to tote the note for all that data mining and marketing, and after about 3-4 years, that 1% would tire of having 3 people show up for their sales.

************* said:
Redgully said:
************* said:
Duh?

Should they be free?

Not a bad idea. There are a few breeders in KY that would probably sign up. One is about 15 minutes drive from my operation

Y'all could get matching jackets and have a secret handshake and all that. Have to show a financial statement to get in....better not do that , I might show up and embarrass you... ;-)
Gotta be better than the current AAA . All I get outta them is a magazine from time to time.
And there is nothing in there useful. Just gobs of advertising. I guess there's folks out there that spend their days drooling over the adds and drawing imaginery pedigrees and epds. Idk

callmefence said:
************* said:
Redgully said:

Y'all could get matching jackets and have a secret handshake and all that. Have to show a financial statement to get in....better not do that , I might show up and embarrass you... ;-)
Gotta be better than the current AAA . All I get outta them is a magazine from time to time.
And there is nothing in there useful. Just gobs of advertising. I guess there's folks out there that spend their days drooling over the adds and drawing imaginery pedigrees and epds. Idk
Just wait till you see the new ************* ad Fence. You will be impressed then.

Red Bull Breeder said:
callmefence said:
************* said:

Just wait till you see the new ************* ad Fence. You will be impressed then.

I bet he used his drone....

callmefence said:
************* said:
Redgully said:

I quit taking the magazine a few years ago, for just the reason you stated, just advertisements. Use to hear some folks brag about how great and informative it was, I never saw it that way. Funny you mentioned some folks drooling over the adds, I used to think the same thing about some, used to say I wouldn't want to touch their Angus Journal cause it'd probably have slobber all over it. That being said I'm not knocking the cattle, lots of good ones, and some pretty good folks involved with the breed too.

Redgully said:
Ky hills said:
Redgully said:

Yep, red polls in Australia, put the fees up 5% a year, all the juniors where pushed out and now the breed is on the verge of collapse. I'm most likely pulling the pin any day, got some speckle park embryos going in next month.

I left the AHA over being eaten alive by fees.

Caustic Burno said:
Redgully said:
Ky hills said:

I left the AHA over being eaten alive by fees.
My cousin raises register polled and horned Herefords in Bowie County Tx and quit registering the calves for the same reason.Just gives the paperwork to the buyer and lets them register them.
Used to be affordable when we had polled herefords here in the late 60s.

Redgully said:
************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Duh?

Should they be free?

why I love being ""commercial """a free agent...just raising them can be stressful enough at times.. I thought I wanted too be a registered seed stock producer when I started out..to much for me and my flip phone to handle..

************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Duh?

Should they be free?

All things start local. Go to the county cattleman's association and recommend $250 annual dues. Then go to the KY cattleman's association and recommend $1000 annual dues. They'll recognize greatness when they see it.

Otherwise, you are the best advertising for all breeds other than Angus that I have seen in a long time. I know that you'll thank me, so ... "You're welcome".

I don't know what you guys are paying with other breeds, but Simmental seems inexpensive to me.
We pay $110/yearly membership
If you are Total Herd Enrollment, you pay $30/cow in your herd. You don't pay anything to register any and all your calves. You don't pay anything to transfer your cattle. So, if you only registered 1/2 your calves (which I register all of mine), it would cost you $60/calf.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I don't know what you guys are paying with other breeds, but Simmental seems inexpensive to me.
We pay $110/yearly membership
If you are Total Herd Enrollment, you pay $30/cow in your herd. You don't pay anything to register any and all your calves. You don't pay anything to transfer your cattle. So, if you only registered 1/2 your calves (which I register all of mine), it would cost you $60/calf.

THE ( Total Herd Enrollment) Is the only way to fly.

100 a year for membership. We can do the whole herd reporting. I think its about 30 buck a cow enrolled. Registering calves is free and tranfers are free if you cows are enrolled.

Latest posts