Angus Association Good/Bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder said:
100 a year for membership. We can do the whole herd reporting. I think its about 30 buck a cow enrolled. Registering calves is free and tranfers are free if you cows are enrolled.
I'm terrible at keeping track of what people have, is this Red Angus. About same pricing. The RA Assn is in coop with ASA.

RAAA...Mandatory THR. $100 annual membership, $20 accessed on 18 months & older inventory females which includes birth, weaning, yearling data, certificates and timely transfer of ownership. No fees on herd bulls.

Bright Raven said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I don't know what you guys are paying with other breeds, but Simmental seems inexpensive to me.
We pay $110/yearly membership
If you are Total Herd Enrollment, you pay $30/cow in your herd. You don't pay anything to register any and all your calves. You don't pay anything to transfer your cattle. So, if you only registered 1/2 your calves (which I register all of mine), it would cost you $60/calf.

THE ( Total Herd Enrollment) Is the only way to fly.

I've been meaning to ask, if I enroll in THE, and I have animals reg. with other assoc. Do I just send a copy of their papers, or can I just send the reg. number?

sim.-ang.king said:
Bright Raven said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I don't know what you guys are paying with other breeds, but Simmental seems inexpensive to me.
We pay $110/yearly membership
If you are Total Herd Enrollment, you pay $30/cow in your herd. You don't pay anything to register any and all your calves. You don't pay anything to transfer your cattle. So, if you only registered 1/2 your calves (which I register all of mine), it would cost you $60/calf.

THE ( Total Herd Enrollment) Is the only way to fly.

I've been meaning to ask, if I enroll in THE, and I have animals reg. with other assoc. Do I just send a copy of their papers, or can I just send the reg. number?

They need to be transferred if they are not under your name and ASA member number. If they are in your name, they should show in your herd book if all is in order. Then when you enroll in THE you list the animals in two groups - fall calvers and spring calvers.

If the animals are already in your name, you will not need to send papers. If they are not in your name, you will need to ask the person whose name they are in to do the transfer.

I meant if they are like Angus, or Lim. How do I go about getting them enrolled in THE, since I do use a Sim on them?

sim.-ang.king said:
I meant if they are like Angus, or Lim. How do I go about getting them enrolled in THE, since I do use a Sim on them?

If they are percentages - if I remember, they must be at least a quarter blood - the ASA will list them in their herd book. If not, you cannot register them with ASA. You can only enroll ASA registered animals in THE.

I haven't had any, but (I believe) if you have an "Angus" cow, you should report her AAA #. If you don't "register" her as a foundation female, they will just list the offspring as a 50% SimAngus. IF you do register her as a foundation female, the offspring's EPD's will reflect both parent's actual EPD's.
RedBull - I "knew" that, just went brain dead. Happens, more often than used to!! LOL

Latest posts