Angus Assoc. Foot Scoring

Help Support CattleToday:

If I am reading this right a 5.0 is ideal if the claw or angle is less than ideal the EPD is higher. Resource would be a bull to use to improve hooves. Interesting information.

Gizmom

This line right here is concerning that it even has to be mentioned as a criteria:

1 Animals must be scored prior to hoof trimming.

I would assume most non-show ring folks here are not hoof trimming their cattle and if you are I am guessing that it is because they are scoring over the ideal "5" that chart shows. You shouldn't have a need for hoof trimming if you are breeding structurally sound cattle.

SPH":3n13n0t7 said:
This line right here is concerning that it even has to be mentioned as a criteria:

1 Animals must be scored prior to hoof trimming.

I would assume most non-show ring folks here are not hoof trimming their cattle and if you are I am guessing that it is because they are scoring over the ideal "5" that chart shows. You shouldn't have a need for hoof trimming if you are breeding structurally sound cattle.

The only time it can be an issue with sound cattle is when they are on very soft ground almost continually. Some people here have lowland/swamp pasture ground where the hoof won't wear down properly and issues develop after a few years. Nothing better than highland hard ground with a little sand in it.

I know of certain cattle from certain breeders who have to have their bulls trimmed on a regular basis. A vet is this area says the new wing to his clinic was paid for by trimming cattle from a certain prominent breeder. I've seen many of these cattle. The breeders paid good money for the bulls so felt the need to use them. All they are doing is spreading the issue if they retain any heifers. I had a chance to buy a 2 y/o last spring that was purchased as a high dollar yearling at another prominent sale. He had been trimmed some. I have seen it in both Polled Herefords and Angus. Although it has been worse in Angus but that maybe cause I see several from that one outfit in this area. When I was looking at one bull he was gimping a little. I mentioned it and the breeder stated that was because the hoof trimmer got him a little short when he was there earlier in the week. This was a bull being sold for a commercial bull not a show bull. Needless to say that killed that sale. And otherwise he was a good bull.

elkwc":1i0sb7kr said:
I know of certain cattle from certain breeders who have to have their bulls trimmed on a regular basis. A vet is this area says the new wing to his clinic was paid for by trimming cattle from a certain prominent breeder. I've seen many of these cattle. The breeders paid good money for the bulls so felt the need to use them. All they are doing is spreading the issue if they retain any heifers. I had a chance to buy a 2 y/o last spring that was purchased as a high dollar yearling at another prominent sale. He had been trimmed some. I have seen it in both Polled Herefords and Angus. Although it has been worse in Angus but that maybe cause I see several from that one outfit in this area. When I was looking at one bull he was gimping a little. I mentioned it and the breeder stated that was because the hoof trimmer got him a little short when he was there earlier in the week. This was a bull being sold for a commercial bull not a show bull. Needless to say that killed that sale. And otherwise he was a good bull.
Elkwc what operations are you talking about and where are you located? I buy my bulls and use both Angus and Hereford, there's a good possibility that you just might be able to save me a lot of problems down the road.
Thanks, Vince

True Grit Farms":12iwc08m said:
elkwc":12iwc08m said:
Elkwc what operations are you talking about and where are you located? I buy my bulls and use both Angus and Hereford, there's a good possibility that you just might be able to save me a lot of problems down the road.
Thanks, Vince

Sent you a pm

True Grit Farms":16wdgli2 said:
Ebenezer":16wdgli2 said:
Hooves that need to be trimmed should be trimmed immediately behind the scull. :shock:
That will fix the foot issue. I think some people just enjoy working with problems.

Exactly. Quite often they'll say "well those little problems, that's what farming is all about."

No. That is what divorce is all about. And after a long time, you eventually do eliminate the problem.

I"m glad to see them at least attempting to make some headway. Would be nice if they'd get better participation from the large breeders.

If an animal needs it's feet trimmed, then they are not show prospects - on my farm. I have a couple of cows that we have used nippers on their toes - they are now recips - even though they are really good looking registered cows. I do not want to propagate that problem.

elkwc":30iycxdj said:
True Grit Farms":30iycxdj said:
elkwc":30iycxdj said:
Thanks, Vince

Sent you a pm
I would also love to know if you don't mind sharing the information with me.

The numbers actually look semi accurate in my limited experience. A couple I'd personally rate much worse and a couple much better but overall they look closer than I anticipated.