Angus ass giving out my # ?

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I keep getting calls from different people wanting to sell me something for my "angus" farm. I never got these phone calls until I gave the angus folks my info. I use angus bulls on some of my commercial cows.
Sometimes it is a producer who is trying to sell me a bull but today it was a foreiner trying to sell me a couple of boxes , at cost :lol2: , of multi tools with my farm nane on them . I will always listen to another farmer making his pitch but I dont want to listen to some yahoo trying to sell me a knife. He knew my farm name too.
Does the Angus ass. sell/give out there info to telemarketers?

Why not? Most everyone else sells your personal information.

I donated some money to our local public radio station last year and within a week I was gettin' phone calls from all the state and one from Colorado. Won't make that mistake again.

Earl Thigpen":37pa6ljg said:
Why not? Most everyone else sells your personal information.

I donated some money to our local public radio station last year and within a week I was gettin' phone calls from all the state and one from Colorado. Won't make that mistake again.

The Angus folks have prolly sold your info but I think it isn't ethical. In certain instances, like for medical records and such, the HIPPA laws offer some protection, but even then, the information makes it to the wrong hands. My dad had a couple of heart attacks last year and the scooter people were all over him. He thought I had told them to come, but I didn't. He can't even use one of those stupid things. His house his not compatable, nor his porch, nor his vehicle. Those things are just a Medicare scam.

About the only thing you can do is to find out up front the next time you give someone your information, whether or not that info will be sold and what actions you can take against the organization if it is anyway.

yes they sold your name an contact info to others.BBU sells their membership list to other BBU breeders in the US.ive gotten some beefmaster sale catalogs an brochures wanting to sell me bulls.

baxter78":364q2yk4 said:
DO NOT CALL LIST is great.

I'll second that. But sometimes I miss the telemarketers, wife and I had a competition to see how long it would take either of us to make them cuss/hang up on us. Telemarketers can be fun.

I don't think it is the Angus Assoc. I am member of a couple cow parties and horse parties and I don't get any calls but then again this is flaboy right? :lol2: I do get some mailings about auctions and such but no calls.

The Do Not Call List does help a lot though and here is another tip. When the phone rings and you say hello and nobody responds immediately, well just hang up because they are watching a computer that auto dials and they wait till they see a line was picked up. It takes them a second or two to pick it up. The none response to your hello is the clue it was computer dialed.

One more thing. When the companies call wanting you to donate to law enforcement charities, ask if they are a Not For Profit organization. The real ones are NFP.

Amen ! to the law enforcement charities. The Texas DPS Officers Assn. tried a couple years ago to collect a "pledge" I never made. They got very near extortion before I finally told them they had better just give it up while they were ahead. Haven't heard from them since.

It seems to me that the Do Not Call list has quit working recently.

Jim62":6gflhnfj said:
Amen ! to the law enforcement charities. The Texas DPS Officers Assn. tried a couple years ago to collect a "pledge" I never made. They got very near extortion before I finally told them they had better just give it up while they were ahead. Haven't heard from them since.

It seems to me that the Do Not Call list has quit working recently.
thats because there was a renew period to sign up on the do not call list again.you must have missed the deadline.

We just let our answer machine answer all calls and in my greeting I say if you are a telemarketer hang up now.

If it is a real person we want to talk to, we hear them and either pick up or call back.

denoginnizer":2mbbupao said:
I keep getting calls from different people wanting to sell me something for my "angus" farm. I never got these phone calls until I gave the angus folks my info. I use angus bulls on some of my commercial cows.
Sometimes it is a producer who is trying to sell me a bull but today it was a foreiner trying to sell me a couple of boxes , at cost :lol2: , of multi tools with my farm nane on them . I will always listen to another farmer making his pitch but I dont want to listen to some yahoo trying to sell me a knife. He knew my farm name too.
Does the Angus ass. sell/give out there info to telemarketers?

I doubt that the Angus Assn sells your name and phone number to telemarketers. When you join the Assn, they put out a press release in your local newpaper and put your name, city and state (no address or phone #) in the "New Members" section of the Angus Journal. You'll also appear on the "Member Lookup" site (link below). I assume that you can request they not put out that info about you, but for most small breeders, it's free advertising. The marketing people could monitor that site and use the internet yellow pages to find your phone number. Once one of them get it, they can sell it to others.

Since we've been on the "no call" list, we hardly get telemarketing calls. For a few years we got calls from some knife outfit. They claimed to have knives left over from the Denver show and would give us a great discount. We told them "no" and that we were on the no call list. We haven't had a call in several years. Politics and charities are about all we get now. The "no call" list didn't expire. If you put your name on it, it should be there. I just politely tell them we're on that list and hang up the phone. We also got on a list to stop getting credit card offers. That made a difference in junk mail pile.

http://www.angus.org/membership/member_search.cfm

Not to hijack the thread but, why do we have to put our number on a do not call list? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a list that you have to get on to get the calls?

cfpinz":2dcpg2ip said:
baxter78":2dcpg2ip said:

I'll second that. But sometimes I miss the telemarketers, wife and I had a competition to see how long it would take either of us to make them cuss/hang up on us. Telemarketers can be fun.
My husband LOVES to get a telemarketer on the phone.... one time he acted like he was an abused husband...was whispering like he was hiding.. I came along and started yelling like I'd found him....
Oh I'm ashamed I told you all that...Lord forgive me.. sometimes you just gotta be bad.

Wisteria Farms":1jsf3peh said:
cfpinz":1jsf3peh said:
baxter78":1jsf3peh said:

My husband LOVES to get a telemarketer on the phone.... one time he acted like he was an abused husband...was whispering like he was hiding.. I came along and started yelling like I'd found him....
Oh I'm ashamed I told you all that...Lord forgive me.. sometimes you just gotta be bad.[/
quote]

That is a good one I will have to remember that.

I had the same people call me about the knives or whatever they were ,gave me a sob story that they didn't sell enough at Farm Fair. :cry2: who cares not I; it p@ssed me off also that they got all my info and I know darn well that it was from the breed association list of members .They just go onto members sites and copy all the info.

For a few years we got calls from some knife outfit. They claimed to have knives left over from the Denver show and would give us a great discount.

They should stop buying so many for that denver show . That is the exact line of bull they told me.

I'm on the Do Not Call list. Had real fun with the first few that called me after getting on the list. I just asked them if they knew I was on the list and what the fine was for calling me. Told them to put me on their companies personal do not call, because if they did call back I was going to turn them in. never heard from them again.
Used to be harrassed by the Police Chief Association wanting donations. Tried to be nice, until one guy got rude. Had their number on my caller id. Called them back and I got to chew some butt. Never heard from them again.

When these people call just tell them to put you on their Do Not Call list.

If I answer the phone, thats what I do....
If husband answers the phone then its "play time"... I can't stop him... I get aggravated but before I know it I'm cracking up at whatever voice he's using.

Man hillsdown, I gotta try that one. We do a few around here.

One, I talk with a very strong lisp and every now and then shout at my chiren to get the goats off the carpet or the pigs. They end up laughing everytime and tell me good day sir.

Two, Tell them I have to go and can I call them back. They say ok and start to give me a 1-800 number and I ask if thats their home number. They say no and say they don't accept calls at their house and I say...neither do I!

Three, I am a Cajun and have one of the typical last names that if you're not from here you have about a 1% chance of pronouncing it right. They ask for me and I tell them I won't talk to them until they pronounce it right. They try over and over like idiots forever and then i say nope try again tomorrow.