Angus and the Southeast

Help Support CattleToday:

sedrick_hall

Reaction score
Anyone out breeding purebreed Angus (Red or Black) in the Southeast (AL, GA, SC, TN, LA, FL, etc.)? If so, how do they handle the heat and humidity?

We raise Reg Angus. Blacks.
They handle the heat and humidity OK. Not as well as Brahman or Brahman Crosses. It helps to have shade and clean fresh water.
They stay laying in the shade from late morning until mid afternoon, Grazing, mostly in early morning and late afternoon and evening. This years calves had adj. 205 day WW from mid 500 lb to mid 600 lb range, with no creep, strictly off cow and grass and hay. We calved mostly in Oct and early Nov. weaned the calves in Mid April.

sedrick_hall":3hjhpttp said:
Anyone out breeding purebreed Angus (Red or Black) in the Southeast (AL, GA, SC, TN, LA, FL, etc.)? If so, how do they handle the heat and humidity?
What part of the Southeast are you in. EMail me and I will give you some breeders fairly close to you that you may get more local info. from

If you e-mail Jim McLean, [email protected], he can send you the names of members of the Southeast Red Angus Association.

dun

sedrick_hall":3cbs2ui7 said:

sedrick_hall":pog0rz45 said:
Have been breeding registered Black Angus for years in KY. If you are selecting cattle in our heat and humidity - the key is to look at hair coat. Slick cows do fine, those long, rough coated cows will spend the summer in the pond! http://www.larrysansom.com for more info on grass based production angus cattle for the southeast.

I agree with the above. We raise black Angus and they do well, however the comment about coat seems to be very true not only for the Angus but for our commercial crossbred herd also.

One thing that is difficult to determine at Angus production sales, is which ones are slick and which are coated. All are shaved and spiffed up so they look alike. I have one that was slick as anything, but after she got home turned into a wooly bear :lol: :cboy:

MrBilly":3nkdopqr said:
I agree with the above. We raise black Angus and they do well, however the comment about coat seems to be very true not only for the Angus but for our commercial crossbred herd also.

One thing that is difficult to determine at Angus production sales, is which ones are slick and which are coated. All are shaved and spiffed up so they look alike. I have one that was slick as anything, but after she got home turned into a wooly bear :lol: :cboy:

Hair is very important in the cattle show business. Avoid buying cattle that were sired by a popular show bull. An example are TC Stocman 365 and B/R New Design 036. Stockman was the ROV Sire of the Year several times and 036 never made much of a splash in the show ring. While we used 365 a bit, I cold walk out in the pasture in the spring and see the difference in hair coat. (Plus the 036 bulls far outperformed the 365 bulls on test.)

It isn't all genetics. Cattle that are moved to fescue from another forage base will frequently not slick out till the second year, some never do. Also cattle on fescue tend to be a bit rough coated anyway.
At registered sales I try to get to the facility the day the animals arrive before they've had a chance to clip/prune/etc.. I like to see them in their working clothes, but that's just one more of my (many) quirks.

dun

Frankie":ma5u162f said:
MrBilly":ma5u162f said:

Hair is very important in the cattle show business. Avoid buying cattle that were sired by a popular show bull. An example are TC Stocman 365 and B/R New Design 036. Stockman was the ROV Sire of the Year several times and 036 never made much of a splash in the show ring. While we used 365 a bit, I cold walk out in the pasture in the spring and see the difference in hair coat. (Plus the 036 bulls far outperformed the 365 bulls on test.)

This spring they sold a bunch of north dacota angus cows at a big auction here in southwest missouri. they were great cows and brought alot $1400 for third period 4 to 6 yr olds. They were wooly buggers, had more hair than I've seen on a cow. And big too 13 to 1500#.
Maybe enviorment has alot to with how a cow turns out?
I don't know, I didn't buy any, I bet them girls are hot today.

My slick haired Angus bull has been either sitting in the shade or swimming in the pond during the 90 something days that we have had the past couple of weeks, but when the sun goes down he becomes the bovine version of Ron Jeremy.

Latest posts