angus and santa gertrudis

Help Support CattleToday:

fishgirl4

Reaction score
new at this..have an opportunity to purchase santa gertrudis/angus hybrid cow/ calf pairs(1/4 and 3/4 respectively)...i've read that the sg calve easily and are very heat tolerant and have some other good things going for them...is it a big deal to not get all angus...no crossbreeding?

It all depends on where you live and what you are going to do with the cattle. Are you looking at just raising calves to sell at your local sale barn? Are you looking to increase the size of your heard someday?

What are your goals with these cattle?

i am a beginner..getting 10-12 cow/calf pairs to make a little money at the sale barn...finallly ready to get livestock after 1 year of clearing, fencing, well.water..have 70 acres and was going to get angus, then this opportunity popped up ...i live in midddle tn ...i am not a big rancher from texas (obviously)...just a little farm mom, tired of being a soccer mom...

fishgirl4":1ci0e6mn said:
new at this..have an opportunity to purchase santa gertrudis/angus hybrid cow/ calf pairs(1/4 and 3/4 respectively)...i've read that the sg calve easily and are very heat tolerant and have some other good things going for them...is it a big deal to not get all angus...no crossbreeding?

There's a ton of research showing that crossbred cows produce more pounds of beef than straightbred cows. They tend to live longer. They tend to be healthier. So running crossbred cows is not a bad thing. The trick with crossbred cows is knowing what's in the make up of the cross. On the other hand, straightbred cows should give you a more uniform calf crop and help you hit a specific grid market if you're owning your calves through the feedlot.

Buyers at sale barns tend to discount animals with too much brahman influence. I'd think the combination you're considering would work well in your part of the country. A 3/4 Angus-1/4 Gert calf shouldn't show enough ear to hurt you at the sale barn. Good luck with them....and welcome to the cattle business. :D

Is there a reason you are hung up on angus?? People are saying they sell higher (by "people" I mean the angus bull breeders around here, so they can charge higher prices) but it is not the case in my area, so do your homework. Those will be good cows, if the price is right I wouldn't hesitate. Even if you are wanting to breed registered angus in the future, this would be a good way to get your feet wet if you are just starting. Good luck!

I wish I would have seen this post yesterday afternoon. There is a sale in Calhoun, GA today, the Mountain Laurel Classic Santa Gertrudis sale. There are a really nice group of Gert/Herf crosses here if you are looking for commercial females and not just registered stock, they have plenty of them too. The sale starts at 11 if you feel like taking a road trip.

not hung up on angus, it just seems that 's what is at the livestock sales and what most raise here...i think i'm going to buy them , 4 with calves now and 8 to calve in jan/feb... all are black , just one the roan color...they are offering a bull , but its simmentol(sp) but i don't have any crsssfencing at this time and i don't think i'm ready for year round calving or know what to do...although i guess the bull figures that one out...thanks

if you want some black baldies get an hereford or hereford gert cross to breed to them. they make some great cows.

I liked her too, but I've got about 5 heifers that age, and wanted to spread it out a little bit. The prices were hard to beat on a lot of those cattle!

I have found cross breeds to have less problems than purebreds. I'm running angus and black baldies. Makes a good mix and the cows end up being mostly black.

Best of luck to you and......

:welcome: