Angus Advantage 7th Annual Bull Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Luke

Reaction score
November 11th in Clinton, NC. 550 Angus Sale!
275 Angus bulls sale. 200 2 yr old bulls sell forage developed on large pastures. 75 yearling bulls sell ready to work.
275 Angus bred commercial females sell.
I will be there representing CATTLE TODAY and helping ringside.
Luke

I watched a little of the Angus Advantage sale today on TV. I am curious what the number mean on the bottom of the screen:

BW: +3.5
WW: +5.5
Milk: +3.3
YW: +100
SC: +40
$Beef: +23.41

I think I picked up correctly that BW is born weight? and YW is yearling weight? Just wondering if someone here could tell me what the letter stand for and what the numbers represent.

Steven

EPD's are Expected Progeny Differences.

BW +3.5 A bull with a +3.5 Birth Weight EPD will have calves that weigh (on average) 3.5 lbs heavier at birth than the calves of a bull with a Birth Weight EPD of 0

WW +5.5 A bull with a +5.5 Weaning Weight EPD will have calves that weigh (on average) 5.5 lbs heavier at weaning than the calves of a bull with a Weaning Weight EPD of 0.

Milk +3.3 The daughters of a bull with a +3.3 Maternal Milk EPD should have calves that weigh (on average) 3.3 lbs heavier at weaning than the daughters of a bull with a 0 Maternal Milk EPD.

YW +100 A bull with a +100 Yearling Weight EPD will have calves that weigh (on average) 100 lbs heavier at yearling than the calves of a bull with a Yearling Weight EPD of 0.

SC +.40 scrotal should be .40 cm larger than a parent with 0 epd.

$Beef +23.41 Beef Value ($B) are bioeconomic index values, expressed in dollars per head, to assist commercial beef producers by adding simplicity to genetic selection decisions. The $Value is an estimate of how future progeny of each sire are expected to perform, on average, compared to progeny of other sires in the database, if randomly mated and the calves are exposed to the same environment.

Latest posts