anemic heifer will not stand up 7 months old

Help Support CattleToday:

janikings

Reaction score
I have this calf that was given to me TODAY because the person that was caring for it got wore out.

What I know-- 7 months old was taken to the sale because of being a skinny calf that would not gain weight. The sale said it was not big enough to take it back home (guess there is a minimum weight she is about 250 to 300lbs). after she was put back in the trailer she laid down and never got up. 2/15/11

A vet was at a neighbors so did a favor and looked at her, said her gums were pale and she looks anemic. Come to find out the guy that had her does not rotate his wormer and only uses a pour on Ivermectin. The vet thinks she has Capoli worms?? (Sure I spelled it wrong please educate me) and SafeGuard has to be used to remove them? She was dosed with Safeguard on Friday 2/25.

Any advise to help her get up and going again? I bought an Iron-100 Hydrogenated Dextran Injection Hematinic but did not realize it was for Pigs. Can or should I give this to her to bring up her Iron level? I also have some Vitamin B. She is eating grain, small amounts of hay, and drinking water I am giving her milk replacement thought anything extra may help. Stool is good urine is clear.

HELP..............

The causes of anemia in an animal are wide - inadequate diet, loss of blood, lice, ticks, worms, disease (ie Anaplasmosis) etc.
I would suggest giving the animal Oxytetracycline to cover the possibility of disease. You have correctly dewormed her. Make sure her diet is adequate and as you suggested supplement Iron and Vit B. Check if the product that you mentioned is indicated for cattle otherwise get something from your vet. Is the animal managing to move around?

You may not want to hear this, but have considered putting this animal down?

Depending on how weak/wild she is if she is still down make sure to roll her so she does not get sores. If she is tame you can also get them in a sling. Depending on what kind of money you want to spend you can have blood work done to see what all is going on in her system.
Keep her hydrated, if you cant get her to drink she will need IV fluids, and some CMPK or Dextrose may help her too.

Thanks for the replies so far.

She does seem to be getting stronger I ordered CMPK from Jeffers and that does seem to be helping.

She is trying to stand now with a little help and getting stronger by fighting back a little.

She is now chewing her cud we drag her out of the stall to eat grass she drinks plenty and eats grain.

The next challange will be what to give her to build her up once she is on all four again?? Any advise would be appreciated.

Me also I have heard if it is a large cow they will get nerve damage but this one is small 250 lbs.

Getting stronger every day may stand by this weekend keeping fingers crossed!

Great news I wanted to share.

After being down for 5 weeks she is now walking again.

We gave her all kinds of suplements CMPK, drencher with vit A,D,E vit B shots, calf manna, anything we could get down her, but the main thing was getting rid of the Capoli worm with Safeguard 10% and time to regain her strength.

I would have never thought a cow/calf could be down for 5 week too weak to stand and recover.

Now it's about getting her weight up to normal.

whitewing":3fw5eqzq said:
I had no idea a cow could stay down that long and survive. Amazing to me.
I would have done like the original owner and given her to you Whitewing. :lol2:

janikings":1i5l811j said:
Great news I wanted to share.

After being down for 5 weeks she is now walking again.

We gave her all kinds of suplements CMPK, drencher with vit A,D,E vit B shots, calf manna, anything we could get down her, but the main thing was getting rid of the Capoli worm with Safeguard 10% and time to regain her strength.

I would have never thought a cow/calf could be down for 5 week too weak to stand and recover.

Now it's about getting her weight up to normal.
As small as she is I'd probably stay with a good high quality 18% textured calf starter just for quality. Once you now she's over the hump you can go back to more conventional grower type feed.

great advice appreciated. How do you feel about her being the only cow at the house away from the heard?
All she does is stay secluded down by the pond. She does let us come up to her but she stays away from the barn and feed unless she wants to eat. We didn't know if returing her to the pasture with our other heifers would help stimulate her and her grazing.

janikings":1fufu24q said:
great advice appreciated. How do you feel about her being the only cow at the house away from the heard?
All she does is stay secluded down by the pond. She does let us come up to her but she stays away from the barn and feed unless she wants to eat. We didn't know if returing her to the pasture with our other heifers would help stimulate her and her grazing.

Give her a name (if you haven't already) and make sure she'll come to the feed bucket when you call then you can put her with the others. Just make sure she's good and strong too.

That is amazing! When I saw this thread go active again, I expected to read, she died, we put her down, etc. Congrats on saving her, hope she can produce a calf someday and start paying you back.