And then there is this one

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score

Water is such a problem in small pastures. I constantly leave the water on, heifers pull hose out, are just a few of the problems. But then there are these who just try to make life harder..lol

Why a problem? Put a float valve in the tank and construct a simple structure out of wooden boards and fence posts to keep the cows noses and tongues off the float valve.

ga.prime":1hrhwz5r said:
Why a problem? Put a float valve in the tank and construct a simple structure out of wooden boards and fence posts to keep the cows noses and tongues off the float valve.
Its a temp field. We use this trough in other places too during droughts so anything that makes it hard to move would be a problem. Most times there are just a few bottle calves in this pasture and they drink out of the stable trough, where, we have a auto water fill. There are 63 in there now.. I can put a timer on the faucet which is over 150 ft away. Sometimes, I can let the hose trickle just enough to keep up with their use....but, the stars have to line up right.... Our dirt and mud are different. Any traffic, there is no bottom. This dirt is what this area is made of. We're just glad its dry, you ought to see this area when its wet, we have to move this trough when its wet because it gets really really bad without me overfilling........

TennesseeTuxedo":1tl7ozco said:
If you have a water faucet that close I'd suggest a Ritchie style automatic water fountain. The float valve idea is a good one as well.
Again.... its a temp trough, when its wet we have to move it...and, there are usually just a few in here at the time. YOu cant use a float unless you build something to keep them off it. And building something would make it hard to move......I have auto waterers on most of our troughs, I know how they work...
We've thought of a few ideas for a trough for this pasture, one would bring it to the fence which would give us a place to put a auto waterer they cant get to..But, when you have this number of cattle in it at once and it rains and the ground has no bottom....well, that's a problem when they can only get to one side. We did bring in some rock and some sawdust to give them a good stable place to stand for now, but, its dry so that is limited until it rains. As you can see in the picture, posted to show some just don't get it...lol

TennesseeTuxedo":gpr2409y said:
If you have a water faucet that close I'd suggest a Ritchie style automatic water fountain. The float valve idea is a good one as well.
The Ritchie one is a really bad suggestion with the type of ground we have.. 60+ cattle using it in a 5 acre pasture would be disastrous. If we were able to bring in a lot of dirt from somewhere else and change all the drainage, then maybe watering this group for a month would be logical... This field is very productive because it does hold water. Makes a great heifer calving lot since its next to our corral. I keep our bottle calves in there since the stable also is off it. But, if its wet, we don't keep herds in it..... Trust me, we've considered all watering options...a temp one we can move is our best option...

You are just full of it cowgirl8 or simply itching for an argument :p . That trough looks like it has not been moved for a while so I don't know what your 'temporary' is. Would suggest moving it to higher ground, run a pipe connected to float valve and cover/protect with wood or metal plate as Ga Prime suggested and Voila...problem solved. No more difficult to move than before. You may want to hit a pole with a slight bend into the ground next to trough and connect the pipe to it temporarily just to protect/support it a little.

Perhaps you could come up with a new patent :D

It's been there since last winter. We've had just a few animals in here. The last month we put the 60+ heifers in here. It's temporary for droughts. We use it when we are out of water. We take it to a pond and pump water into it. These heifers have done a number on it because I can't remember to turn the water off. If you've never had land with no bottom you'd never understand.
The picture was just a joke because some of these heifers make life hard when it doesn't need to be. I did not post it asking how to remedy it. Lol

I can fix this for you. If you'll pay attention and not find fault and argue.
First is even though it's temporary put in a permanent one. A combine or floater or skidded tire is free. A Jobe float is 40 bucks. A few bags of concrete isn't high and neither is some pvc pipe.
Pile dirt around it high. If you have any sort of gravel use that too.
The other salutation is the tank your using has a drain in the bottom of it. Use that or cut a hold and braze a nipple in it. Again use a Jobe float on the bottom. Run a water hose to it and screw on.
Real simple and inexpensive.

Kingfisher":3samwfzf said:
Why do you have 63 bottle calves?

We have 61 weaned heifers using this field temporarily while they wait for their second vac shot. The pasture is used for bottle calves, or sick cows....usually just a few animals where this tanks that sits there basically just to be stored for the next drought. There is one spot around this tank, that for some reason, some of these calves try to drink from. As you can see from the picture, its just that one spot and that heifer chose it to try to drink from. The others, as you can see are on dry ground and can drink easily. We don't have a problem with this tank, was not the reason for this post. Just to show that just a few steps out of that hole, the heifer could drink easily.... get it....
I swear you guys cant see a joke or anything humorous . You few just have to be right, or smarter, or just like to start trouble... God, why do I even try...

Maybe i'll change the subject....Worked on this all day yesterday. The body is wood. For the past month, the body looked like a dried bait fish on the floor of the boat...lol I'm using doty wood from that burl tree. It was full of doty wood perfect for carving.
Not sure where i'll put this. Not happy with the tail, i'll fix that today. I'll probably just hang it in our wood shop along with my other carved things...

Note...some of the fish is metal...Just the body is wood to clarify to anyone who is perched to argue the point...lol

cowgirl8":2nrfidk5 said:
Maybe i'll change the subject...

That's it lady, if you don't like the direction the thread is taking change it. :lol:

You're adaptable. I like that. But this reminds me of a joke:

A lady in Lexington was getting on a bus. She had a crate with 3 chickens. As she stepped onto the bus, the crate came open and the 3 chickens got out. The bus driver patiently waited. As she was bending over trying to catch them, she released a loud fart. The bus driver said, "That's it lady, if you can't catch them, shoot em."

cowgirl8":24a4mgnz said:
As you can see from the picture, its just that one spot and that heifer chose it to try to drink from. The others, as you can see are on dry ground and can drink easily. We don't have a problem with this tank, was not the reason for this post. Just to show that just a few steps out of that hole, the heifer could drink easily.... get it....
I swear you guys cant see a joke or anything humorous . You few just have to be right, or smarter, or just like to start trouble... God, why do I even try...

Okay...I'll laugh then :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Ha ha, yeah.... I have a chicken laying bum eggs... I have 11 chickens and are still laying lots of eggs. But this one chicken lays a shelless egg and always does on top of nice clean eggs. I've tried hanging around to see who's doing it but aint nobody got time for dat.... I have some other cages, so now that its cooler, i'll do it slowly one at a time by isolating them. Sure makes me mad to go out and gather my eggs that are all sticky dirty...ugh

Latest posts