And now we wait

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I just had a cow eat a partial loaf of bread, including the wrapper. Sucked the whole thing down in seconds. Called the vet and he said if we can get her in the chute we could drench her with half a gallon of mineral oil but she's a mile away so getting her in is unlikely. Plan B was to give her some alfalfa to hopefully act as a softener, which she is currently devouring. He didn't think it was necessary to do anything else unless it was clear she's having problems.

Any other suggestions or similar experiences, preferably with a good outcome?

Well, with any luck the wrapper won't cause a problem. I would be more concerned about the plastic bag than I would about the bread.

Right now, it doesn't sound like it's "stuck" or blocking anything. Is it possible for you to pour a large amount of oil on/in her alfalfa? Just a prophylactic lubricant for the plastic?

With any luck she'll be fine. I have plucked plenty of plastic grocery bags out of our pastures, that have blown in from roadsides or neighbors. I often wonder how many I may have missed (with calves etc) along with mylar balloons, that may have been consumed and 'pooped out' with no issues.

You will know if it is a problem if she 'goes off feed' and fails to "burp" up her cud. That would indicate that the plastic bag has gotten 'stuck' and causing a blockage.

Good luck.

Good idea, pouring the mineral oil directly on the alfalfa. Thanks! The bread isn't a concern, they used to get it all the time when I'd clear out the week-old racks at the Hostess Outlet (prior to their bankruptcy). Ohhh, I may even try to soak some bagels in mineral oil (she's partial to cinnamon raisin :)). I'll definitely notice if she goes off feed - she's never missed a meal.

They've probably eaten plastic grocery bags and even the mylar balloons before and we just didn't know it because we find them in the pastures all the time (as well as beer cans, beer bottles, food wrappers, etc. :mad: ).

TCRanch":ha20xeof said:
Good idea, pouring the mineral oil directly on the alfalfa. Thanks! The bread isn't a concern, they used to get it all the time when I'd clear out the week-old racks at the Hostess Outlet (prior to their bankruptcy). Ohhh, I may even try to soak some bagels in mineral oil (she's partial to cinnamon raisin :)). I'll definitely notice if she goes off feed - she's never missed a meal.

They've probably eaten plastic grocery bags and even the mylar balloons before and we just didn't know it because we find them in the pastures all the time (as well as beer cans, beer bottles, food wrappers, etc. :mad: ).

How's she doing today?

Perfectly normal, begging for cubes, in the middle of the herd, grazing (I haven't seen her belch). She wasn't on board with the mineral oil on the 2nd bale of alfalfa or bagel (I don't blame her) but I would think by now it should have passed. Will still keep an eye on her but fairly optimistic. Thanks for checking!

Latest posts