And Now the POTUS and his wife are tested positive...

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used this website that documents all new covid cases and deaths each day. From my county to the state to the n national level. Hope it can shed some light on where we are and where we might be going.
You are the man in your own mind, believe me it doesn't go any farther than that, except ole buck.

Here the statistics have remained pretty consistent. About 5% of those tested have a positive test. They have tested nearly 14% of the county's total population. And of course who is most likely to go get a test? Those people who feel they have symptoms or were exposed to it. So far there are zero hospitalizations from those who tested positive. Unfortunately there have been two deaths from it. A 84 year old woman and a 91 year old man. Both were in a nursing home and suffering from "underlying health issues". I feel good results come mainly from two things. This is a sparsely populated area where people naturally social distance. This is also a very outdoor population which I feel helps. The sun light provides vitamin D which helps to fight any virus. And ultra violet light helps to kill any virus. It certainly isn't from masks. Although some people appear to wear them regularly there is also a good portion of the population who don't wear them at all.

Data matters. Facts matter.
0-19 years old - COVID survival rate: 99.997%
So why aren't schools open full-time?
20-49 years old - COVID survival rate: 99.98%
But please, by all means, wear a mask everywhere you go.
50-69 years old - COVID survival rate: 99.5%
Age 70+ - COVID survival rate: 94.6%
WHAT THE HECK ARE WE DOING? Obviously, this is not really about a virus. Lockdowns or masks don't work.

And that is the survival rate of those who get the virus. There are very obviously things out there which are much more deadly.... like driving your car down the freeway.

So why aren't schools open full-time?
20-49 years old - COVID survival rate: 99.98%
But please, by all means, wear a mask everywhere you go.
50-69 years old - COVID survival rate: 99.5%
Age 70+ - COVID survival rate: 94.6%
WHAT THE HECK ARE WE DOING? Obviously, this is not really about a virus. Lockdowns or masks don't work.

And that is the survival rate of those who get the virus. There are very obviously things out there which are much more deadly.... like driving your car down the freeway.
Small risks add up to huge impacts when applied to a large population. If 0.1% of flights ended in a deadly crash, that would mean roughly 45 deadly plane crashes in the US every day. If 45 jets fell out of the sky tomorrow, would you be complaining that they shut down the airlines despite 99.9% of flights being safe?

Well 3 out every 10,000 people under the age 19 would contract the virus will die. On the other hand in Mississippi (the highest rate of traffic fatalities in the country) 2.2 people per 10,000 will die in traffic accidents. Do we shut down all the roads in Mississippi? And pretty much everyone drives or rides in a vehicle. Not everyone catches corona.

Well 3 out every 10,000 people under the age 19 would contract the virus will die. On the other hand in Mississippi (the highest rate of traffic fatalities in the country) 2.2 people per 10,000 will die in traffic accidents. Do we shut down all the roads in Mississippi? And pretty much everyone drives or rides in a vehicle. Not everyone catches corona.
It's noteworthy that you chose the most dangerous state for driving and the lowest risk age group for Covid, and Covid is still more dangerous. Maybe that means something?

It means that in Mississippi driving is nearly as dangerous for young people as covid is. But we sure don't shut down driving to save all these people. For people under the age of 70 the death rate is somewhere between 3 and 5 people per 10,000. To figure the exact rate you would need to know the exact number in each age group. So for easy figuring lets say it is 4.4. That means covid is twice as dangerous as driving. We have shut down businesses, schools, and making everyone wear a mask because of covid. But people are still driving. I am certain there are things more dangerous than driving it was just an easy one to look up.
I fell timber for a living for 20 years. The on the job death rate back then was +/- 10 per 10,000 depending on the year. Commercial fishing was right there with timber falling. So both of those occupations were twice as deadly as the covid. People braved both of those jobs.

Dave your not factoring in that before Corona virus nobody in the US died of anything. We all lived forever. If we cower in our homes or cover our mouths with hankerchiefs we would go back to all living forever. Plus money is no object nobody needs it and the govt can pay for everything.

Is our year to date death toll in the US up 200,000 plus? That is really how the impact is measured is how many people that maybe wouldn't have died have? A fair amount of these Covid deaths were terminally ill or on borrowed time health wise. In the end it basically boils down to life goes on. Viruses, wars, plagues and famines. Some will survive some will not. Nobody wants to be the not but sooner or later we all are.

A quick search shows that the death rate world wide is roughly 7.5% of the population and in the US it is roughly 8.75% every year. Covid is going to be just a very small part of what the world dies from based on those numbers.

Is our year to date death toll in the US up 200,000 plus? That is really how the impact is measured is how many people that maybe wouldn't have died have? A fair amount of these Covid deaths were terminally ill or on borrowed time health wise. In the end it basically boils down to life goes on. Viruses, wars, plagues and famines. Some will survive some will not. Nobody wants to be the not but sooner or later we all are.

The answer to your question is yes, the US death toll is up well over 200,000 deaths from average since Feb 1st of this year, so we can set aside the notion that lives are only being shortened by a couple of months.

It means that in Mississippi driving is nearly as dangerous for young people as covid is. But we sure don't shut down driving to save all these people. For people under the age of 70 the death rate is somewhere between 3 and 5 people per 10,000. To figure the exact rate you would need to know the exact number in each age group. So for easy figuring lets say it is 4.4. That means covid is twice as dangerous as driving. We have shut down businesses, schools, and making everyone wear a mask because of covid. But people are still driving. I am certain there are things more dangerous than driving it was just an easy one to look up.
I fell timber for a living for 20 years. The on the job death rate back then was +/- 10 per 10,000 depending on the year. Commercial fishing was right there with timber falling. So both of those occupations were twice as deadly as the covid. People braved both of those jobs.
Timber fellers and commercial fishermen are a small population of people who all choose that position. If every American workplace suddenly assumed the mortality rate of a commercial fishing boat, you can bet we'd shut it down until something changed.

Also noted is that the increase exceeds the number of Covid deaths. So what's killing the rest of them? If this country continues to shut down how many will die as crime increases, food decreases and mental health declines at record rates. You got all the answers Buck so let's have the solution.

There was a 4% increase in suicides during the Great Depression. That's a higher number than any age bracket except 70+ of Covid deaths. Only marginally less than that.

edit to add death rate for farming in 2017 was 2.4 per 10,000 should that have been shut down? Yes these are people who choose to take on the risks of the occupation. Covid is just another risk in this world and people should be free to choose wether to take on the risk or not.

Last edited:
It is not just loggers and fishermen. There are 4 occupations more deadly than covid is to 50-69 year old people. There are 7 occupations deadlier than covid is to 20-49 year olders. Then 13 more deadly than covid is to the 19 and under group. The next 7 completing the top 20 (which includes farming) have a death over 2 which is barely under the young peoples rate of deaths to covid.

I have no idea where you live and the experiences you have had. But I will list a few that I have experienced. I have carried the dead bodies of 3 guys I knew out of the woods. And another one who was talking to us as we packed him out who died on his way to the hospital. In my 20 years of cutting timber there was one guy who I had worked with at one point or another who got killed in the woods. I worked on the fishing boats a little. And knew and know a lot of people who did it as a life long occupation. Taking some time thinking about it I knew 8 who had their life cut short. The Corona virus is so far down on the list of things that worry me that it doesn't even get honorable mention.

Well 3 out every 10,000 people under the age 19 would contract the virus will die.
10,000 x .00003 (.003%) = 0.3 people under 19 not 3 people

You got all the answers Buck so let's have the solution.
Many bring forth a problem, but few bring forth a solution.

Here the statistics have remained pretty consistent. About 5% of those tested have a positive test. They have tested nearly 14% of the county's total population. And of course who is most likely to go get a test? Those people who feel they have symptoms or were exposed to it. So far there are zero hospitalizations from those who tested positive. Unfortunately there have been two deaths from it. A 84 year old woman and a 91 year old man. Both were in a nursing home and suffering from "underlying health issues". I feel good results come mainly from two things. This is a sparsely populated area where people naturally social distance. This is also a very outdoor population which I feel helps. The sun light provides vitamin D which helps to fight any virus. And ultra violet light helps to kill any virus. It certainly isn't from masks. Although some people appear to wear them regularly there is also a good portion of the population who don't wear them at all.
The underlined part. Glad you mentioned it. It plays a huge part in the transmission (or lack of it) in many areas of the country. Simply because of our rural lifestyles, locations and work, we naturally are more 'socially distanced" and were even before the pandemic began.
But, the majority of our nation's population doesn't fit within that demographic. My own state's population is spread out far and wide but the total cases are mostly within counties in or near the 5 or 6 major population centers and the extreme South Texas population center near Brownsville/Laredo..
DFW
Houston
San Antonio
El Paso
Austin
Corpus Christi
Cameron and Webb counties in South Tx

There have been 863,169 cases in Tx and 621,974 of those have been in counties near those population centers.
Point is, what works for those of us out in the countryside will not work for the estimated 1/3 of the state's population that live in the more populous areas.

Attachments

• covidcasesbycounty.jpg
    covidcasesbycounty.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.