And now for something completly different............

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you think of gender when reading posts?

• Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always

• Never

• Usually

• Seldom

• Total voters
Michelle Pankonien":16yxbyfw said:
It is an OLD stereo type that we just can't shake,

My hubby answeres the phone, and people want to ask cattle questions, he says you have to talk to the other half thats her thing, so he patches them through to my cell phone, I am usually on the road

My husband always sais I am mean, because I cut sorry bull calves, until I made him help once and he realized there was very little blood and took less than two or three minutes and they get up and run off as if nothing ever happened

He does sharpen my knife though, for the removal of the bottom inch or two of the scrotum, I use emasculators and there is no blood at all, and I have not had one bleed to death as can happen with just the knife,

I usually wait till they are 250-350, slip a halter on them, then when they pitch a fit, and fall over, I sit on them and go

I also have had several customers (men) ask to come help so that they could learn to do it that way, I don't have the muscle so I have to use leverage to get it done with out getting hurt, and most men find it takes a lot less effort but gets the job done just the same

Note to self: Be nice to Michelle.

Craig-TX

Ha - got to thinking I'd better edit this one. Michelle, the "be nice" was typed that way. It was not changed by board from somthing like "@#$% to Michelle". Let me be clear. I'm being nice to you. :D :heart: :D Further, after reading your post above, please let me know if I ever start irritating you. LOL

Craig-TX

I only consider gender when I'm trying to picture the poster either there at the computer or out working. For some reason I always try to visualize that person while I"m reading those posts.

In my mind dun is an older white haired roughskinned man, Lloyd is middle aged with a few grays that we've caused on here :) and I had always pictured Txag as a deeptanned middle aged man but I guess that's gotta change now too.

Michelle Pankonien":tqs45nr9 said:
It is an OLD stereo type that we just can't shake,

My hubby answeres the phone, and people want to ask cattle questions, he says you have to talk to the other half thats her thing, so he patches them through to my cell phone, I am usually on the road

My husband always sais I am mean, because I cut sorry bull calves, until I made him help once and he realized there was very little blood and took less than two or three minutes and they get up and run off as if nothing ever happened

He does sharpen my knife though, for the removal of the bottom inch or two of the scrotum, I use emasculators and there is no blood at all, and I have not had one bleed to death as can happen with just the knife,

I usually wait till they are 250-350, slip a halter on them, then when they pitch a fit, and fall over, I sit on them and go

I also have had several customers (men) ask to come help so that they could learn to do it that way, I don't have the muscle so I have to use leverage to get it done with out getting hurt, and most men find it takes a lot less effort but gets the job done just the same

Many years ago I had never cut a pig. A guy down the road raised pigs and sent his daughter down to show me how. I held the pig while she cut. She said her dad has to hold the pigs because she wans't strong enough that's why she wielded the knife. She was 10 years old and had been cutting them for several years.

dun

dun":11ah5yoj said:
Many years ago I had never cut a pig. A guy down the road raised pigs and sent his daughter down to show me how. I held the pig while she cut. She said her dad has to hold the pigs because she wans't strong enough that's why she wielded the knife. She was 10 years old and had been cutting them for several years.

dun

Good illustration of points above and interesting insofar as cutting a pig requires more skill than cutting a calf.

Craig-TX

I must admit, I used to get upset that everybody thought that hubby was the one doing it all. But as the years have went by, I've come to be amused by it more than anything.
People calll and ask for him, I give him the phone and it ends up right back to me --they either want a cow bred or are looking to buy something.

Hubby is the biggest softie anyone has ever seen -- short of being a raving Animal Rights Activist. If it were up to hubby, none of our animals would ever leave this place or be butchered. I try to keep him away from animals that are being raised for meat -- he gets too attached, or maybe the problem is with differenciating between animals that ARE pets and animals that have other purposes, he tends to think of all domestic animals as pets.
The funny thing is that Hubby is an avid hunter and butchers all of his own game (deer, elk, buffalo, etc) without a second thought.

Hubby wanted rabbits for meat. We got rabbits, nice meat breed too, Satins. I raised the litters, butchered them, cooked them, and he wouldn't eat them! I still have the rabbits, started very successfully showing them a few years ago, and still butcher a lot of rabbits -- but I sell most of the meat now, and feed the rest to the dogs.

Same with ducks & turkeys, he had to have them for meat -- I raised them, butchered them, cooked them, and he wouldn't eat them. He won't even allow me to sell butcher birds now! He's made pets out of them and we're overrun with ducks & turkeys! Those darn birds eat more grass than the cattle do!

He's almost as bad with the cattle. We had a big argument last year over sending an old broken-mouth Jersey cow to auction. The old cow was done, she was dry and didn't cycle anymore, and he wanted to let her "retire" (all the while complaining about the feed bill, of course -- a good portion of which is DUCK & TURKEY feed)

I butcher my own beef, pull the carcass up in a tree in my backyard. While Hubby does eat and enjoy our home-raised beef, he disappears on butchering day.

Our current argument is over a yearling Red Angus steer -- he'll be ready to butcher sometime in October. But this time hubby wants to send this gorgeous, no-antibiotic, no-implant, corn-fed steer to auction -- and use the proceeds to buy beef at the grocery store!
I don't think so!

He needs to be reminded that that was our initial purpose in moving out here -- milking a few cows and raising/butchering our own beef.
Still not sure quite how I ended up doing all of it, but I'm not complaining, I enjoy spending my days with the animals -- much better than a having *real* job. I may not make that much, but I've managed to almost elimimate buying food, which makes up for it.

Ann B

Latest posts