P8090077.jpg

the following have a bit of limi blood in the dam

P8090081.jpg

P8040091a.jpg

this girl has the perfect amount of ear, dam was high % brahman

P8090078.jpg

this one I have some reservations about, she's not "for sure" yet

P8090075.jpg

The one with the truck in the pic looks real good. I like them with their rear not turned up as much. Thats a real nice looking heifer.

I like numbers two and three...need a bit of hair for our part of the country though...we'll start getting cold in another six weeks. dave mc

The ones that have just a little to much ear, their calves will have just the right amt of ear. The ones that have just the right amt of ear now , their calves will have enough for feedyard conditions.

i like them all except 3. and 5 is iffy for me too. 3 looks like she has attitude problems. i'm not sure what i dont like about 5. are you going back with an angus bull or hereford bull? or waht...

They look good. You can't tell which will be the best until they wean their first calves, so I say put a good Hereford or Angus bull on all of them and cull bad ones (if any) at weaning next fall. Nice set of commercial heifers.

Also, I've seen heifers (and bulls for that matter) that have a higher rump than shoulder as short yearlings that ended up with level toplines as adults. Don't worry about that yet, IMO.

For those who asked, all of these heifers will be put with a red angus bull for first breeding. 5 and 6 will stay in this herd with the red angus bull. 1 thru 4 will probably wind up in our other herd with a brahman herd (yes, we obviously like ear).

The "butt in the air" pose of 1 and 2 may be due to the fact they were grazing. I had to whistle and wave my arm to get them to lift their head long enough for a shot. #4 is from another set of pictures I took last week. She simply would not cooperate this time and pose for picture in that soft evening light. I finally got tired of following her around.

Beefy":2hyo8qrv said:
i like them all except 3. and 5 is iffy for me too. 3 looks like she has attitude problems. i'm not sure what i dont like about 5. are you going back with an angus bull or hereford bull? or waht...

3 and 4 are not as sedate as the rest (could be that limi blood, ya think?) but entirely tolerable. If they get more high strung later on then they're gone.

Kent":315s7tea said:
They look good. You can't tell which will be the best until they wean their first calves, so I say put a good Hereford or Angus bull on all of them and cull bad ones (if any) at weaning next fall. Nice set of commercial heifers.

Also, I've seen heifers (and bulls for that matter) that have a higher rump than shoulder as short yearlings that ended up with level toplines as adults. Don't worry about that yet, IMO.

When buying youngstock I always like to see them walking downhill a bit.
Ive always taken that as an indication of growth potential.
We clip young cattle to exagerate this for showing over here, especially in the baby beef classes..

Great looking cattle, the only thing that would make them better would be if they were black - just kidding! :cboy:

Billy