Ancient Tobacco Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Following are pictures of an old tobacco barn near the frontage road on my farm. Too broken down to justify repairs. Construction is "post and pin" for those interested. Notice the posts are axe hewed. I expect it to fall soon. I have considered giving the wood to anyone who would dismantle it but thought it might be dangerous. It is leaning more now. Pictures were taken in the fall. Oddly, it is tiered off with 4x4 rails, older barns like this usually have tier poles. Bigfoot knows what I mean.

al1y6g.jpg

ka01ut.jpg

1z1btkp.jpg

qqu0x4.jpg

2eoh64x.jpg

i had one like that but about 2-3 times the size.. it was leaning real good. i had to yank about half the posts out with the tractor for it to fall over.. got it on video..

ddd75":1t5vz1qw said:
i had one like that but about 2-3 times the size.. it was leaning real good. i had to yank about half the posts out with the tractor for it to fall over.. got it on video..

The neighbor keeps telling me it will stand another 10 years. Lol

This one is 5 bins by 3 bins.

I would probably try to see if somebody wanted those hewed logs. The country side isn't littered with those any more. It'd be nice to know they lived on somewhere.

TexasBred":2mamd6i1 said:
Looks like the frame is still in good shape.

That's what I was thinking. It don't look like the same condition from the outside.

You should try and get someone to reclaim some of the wood. Hate to see all the oldtimers hard work go to waist.

Those are worth a good bit of money in my neck of the woods. Several places buy the old wood. It goes to Nashville or N.C. to get made into high end flooring. The hewn logs also have dollar value. It has become a big problem in my area with old barn siding being stolen. Several barns have had whole sides taken off the back side you can't see from road by the meth heads. I see people going down the road all the time headed toward the local buyer. They have it sticking out of trunks or top of vans it crazy. This has taken the place since scrap iron went down. You could sell that standing here pretty quick. Where are you located?

littletom":wjeuxn0p said:
Those are worth a good bit of money in my neck of the woods. Several places buy the old wood. It goes to Nashville or N.C. to get made into high end flooring. The hewn logs also have dollar value. It has become a big problem in my area with old barn siding being stolen. Several barns have had whole sides taken off the back side you can't see from road by the meth heads. I see people going down the road all the time headed toward the local buyer. They have it sticking out of trunks or top of vans it crazy. This has taken the place since scrap iron went down. You could sell that standing here pretty quick. Where are you located?

50 miles northeast of Lexington. Near Blue Licks State Park.

I have a few around but they are taller and made of logs. Had a guy drop by today wanted to take them down for me. Been there and done that and all I got was nails in the cow's feet. If I take one down again its going in a deep hole.

I know they buy it in Greensburg and Sulphur Well Ky. I would think you could get the good on one big load. Could probly get you some numbers if you wanted to haul it 3 hours south. I would think there would be a buyer closer. You could sell it standing too but some guys don't come back after the get what they want.

littletom":3mliqlko said:
I know they buy it in Greensburg and Sulphur Well Ky. I would think you could get the good on one big load. Could probly get you some numbers if you wanted to haul it 3 hours south. I would think there would be a buyer closer. You could sell it standing too but some guys don't come back after the get what they want.

Thanks. When it gets dry, I am taking it down. There is a guy who will remove the tin for the scrap value. I would appreciate knowing where to take it to in Sulphur Well or Greensburg. Thanks.

There is a lot of reclamation value there, way more than you think.

I have one like that, and keep going round and round on how to deal with it.

My fear, as Jo mentioned, nails and such.

I want to take mine down to the poles (old power poles) and make a covered shed. Mine was maybe built in the 50s, with less skill that went into your barn.

QUESTION:

Look at third picture down. That is a driveway through the barn. Has anyone seen a barn where the poles set on beams laying on the ground like That? If so, I assume it was a way to deal with the slope. This barn looks to me like it was built to fit the slope rather than leveled. Very odd construction strategy. I know they had early scrapers pulled by horses. Dad had one and I assume my older brother still has it.

HDRyder: Yes. I assume the final cleanup would be my responsibility. I am prepared to do that.

Bright Raven":pvba6dii said:
QUESTION:

Look at third picture down. That is a driveway through the barn. Has anyone seen a barn where the poles set on beams laying on the ground like That? If so, I assume it was a way to deal with the slope. This barn looks to me like it was built to fit the slope rather than leveled. Very odd construction strategy. I know they had early scrapers pulled by horses. Dad had one and I assume my older brother still has it.

HDRyder: Yes. I assume the final cleanup would be my responsibility. I am prepared to do that.
Is it possible it was a threshing set-up? Could be the framework the posts are setting on for a threshing system?

reeler":2j2cblfl said:
Bright Raven":2j2cblfl said:
QUESTION:

Is it possible it was a threshing set-up? Could be the framework the posts are setting on for a threshing system?

No. Only an old tobacco barn.

I'll be going through there in a few days. Shoot me a p m if I forget. Place in Greensburg is right by river

Latest posts