Ancestry

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
My bunch got into that for curiosity.
They wanted to know their makeup, I told them my side was Lilly WASP.
The funny part was their mom came back Scotch/Irish.
I told them we were Scotch and Scandinavian. That is what it came back. Two things I found extremely interesting is the migrations that Ancestry came back with. It was extremely accurate to family history scary accurate. Secondly our surname is one of the rarest in the USA.

Caustic Burno":h8vblxhc said:
I told them we were Scotch and Scandinavian. That is what it came back. Two things I found extremely interesting is the migrations that Ancestry came back with. It was extremely accurate to family history scary accurate. Secondly our surname is one of the rarest in the USA.

Sasquatch.......... :lol: :lol: :hide:

Caustic Burno":1tkjy34p said:
I did the same thing thought all time we were Irish. Came back European My wife sir name was cannon she came back about the same makeup as me. Cousin did the test and came back Italian. My Aunts had honky- tonks around Fort Leonard in Missouri. This cousins mother was there when she was younger and probable met a solider that was Italian. Cousin never really knew his father. I also was amazed about the migration from Europe and also all across the USA. His mother was there in 1943 the same year as his birth.

TexasBred":1emdggyj said:
Caustic Burno":1emdggyj said:

More rare that that.
If I remember right 165 families with the surname.

I've considered doing that, but if some of my ancestors aren't who they're supposed to be I don't want to know about it.

Mine came back just as I thought, but a cousin of mine had done it the old fashioned way years before the internet, and both matched back to medieval times as far as Richard Plantagenet and Cecily Neville. English.
Before that, the surname was different and thought to be of French origin.
My mother's side tho is very convoluted..too common and too many variables with several prefixes attached in previous centuries. Mc/Mac etc.

Many genealogy searches run into roadblocks at the civil war. A generation or two just 'lost' especially in the south, as a family member was killed "somewhere" of unknown causes on an unknown date and buried....'maybe'.. at ?????. and the widow remarries..sometimes to a relative of the deceased husband. It gets hard to sort out.
My great great grandfather, from Notasulga Alabama, died somewhere in Tennessee of Cholera while a confederate soldier, but his burial location (some cholera victims bodies were burned) and place of death is not recorded.

My aunt was nearly heartbroken when she found out her ancestry wasn't 100% pure German.
A great great grandfather married a Dane making her a touch Danish and probably where my sweet tooth comes from. :)

slick4591":3mok4sur said:
Any recommendations of a lab to use for this?
I did mine through ansestry.com , they send you a tube in the mail. Spit in the tube to the line, send it back

Caustic Burno":34w16hh7 said:
TexasBred":34w16hh7 said:
Caustic Burno":34w16hh7 said:

More rare that that.
If I remember right 165 families with the surname.
Who did your test CB??

It will also give you clues to other people that might be related. All the way down to fifth cousins. These people have to be in the data base where their DNA was recorded. I have e-mailed cousins that showed up and they were surprised as how we were related.

For those of you who know where you come from from way back, was that information handed down, or did your research it?

Are any of the online sites worth paying for?

Latest posts