Ancestry DNA test

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":3dfjobq1 said:
cowboy43":3dfjobq1 said:
My ancestors owned slaves in Virginia , who knows who's out their I may be kin too, michelle obama ancestors were slaves, shore don't want to be kin to her. :hide:
I wouldn't want to be in the same town with her... I'm surrounded by ancestors of slaves..

Is your place haunted, or did you mean descendants?

I haven't had it done and don't intend to but a very close relative did.
Said he was predominantly English and some Scandinavian.
Not surprising considering our surname is the same as this county's largest city.

Rafter S":2lglwsk2 said:
If the people I think are my ancestors really aren't I don't want to know about it.

Mine would probably come back with one word description ........."heathen".

Rafter S":18z0cr6w said:
ALACOWMAN":18z0cr6w said:
cowboy43":18z0cr6w said:
My ancestors owned slaves in Virginia , who knows who's out their I may be kin too, michelle obama ancestors were slaves, shore don't want to be kin to her. :hide:
I wouldn't want to be in the same town with her... I'm surrounded by ancestors of slaves..

Is your place haunted, or did you mean descendants?
house is only a few year old,hasn't really had time to be haunted... But I think there might be a redneck ghost haunting it.. I come in sometimes andtheres beer cans and tater chips on the coffee table and the TV set on nascar...

I haven't had it done and probably won't. My grandma has traced our family back as far as she can--my dad's side back to the early 1600s out of Scotland, Ireland, and Netherland and my mom's side back to the early 1800s in South Carolina. She has spent the better part of 30 years going to libraries, court houses, and cemetaries to track down what you can do on the websites in a matter of mo ths or years. Its all very interesting stuff. I kind of agree with your first statement that it is some gimmick to get a file on everybody easily. But I also think that to believe the gov doesnt already have that is naive. I remember reading somewhere that during the early parts of the war in Iraq the us built just such a database on insurgents by establishing a trash pick up company there and collecting DNA from the house hold trash. Makes sense they did it here too years ago.

Edit: on further reading my mom's side is back to the mid 1600s out of virginia and kentucky

jedstivers":zun633hf said:
If your parents and your kids had it done does that nort show they are related? If they are that means you are your parents child.

That was my thinking. That's what I have been taught. But apparently I am wrong and that is not the case. Supposedly by the time the children get tested, it is too diluted to know for sure. :???:

Craig Miller":1keb1d5l said:
I haven't had it done and probably won't. My grandma has traced our family back as far as she can--my dad's side back to the early 1600s out of Scotland, Ireland, and Netherland and my mom's side back to the early 1800s in South Carolina. She has spent the better part of 30 years going to libraries, court houses, and cemetaries to track down what you can do on the websites in a matter of mo ths or years.

Edit: on further reading my mom's side is back to the mid 1600s out of virginia and kentucky

My father did a similar project. Even went to Germany a couple of times, researching (his side). He was able to go back to the early 1500's with some of the folks on his side and at least the early 1600's on my mom's side.

Craig Miller said:
I haven't had it done and probably won't. My grandma has traced our family back as far as she can--my dad's side back to the early 1600s out of Scotland, Ireland, and Netherland and my mom's side back to the early 1800s in South Carolina. She has spent the better part of 30 years going to libraries, court houses, and cemetaries to track down what you can do on the websites in a matter of mo ths or years. Its all very interesting stuff. I kind of agree with your first statement that it is some gimmick to get a file on everybody easily. But I also think that to believe the gov doesnt already have that is naive. I remember reading somewhere that during the early parts of the war in Iraq the us built just such a database on insurgents by establishing a trash pick up company there and collecting DNA from the house hold trash............They may have changed after they picked up my neighbors trash,that's what makes it to the road..most of it winds up in the yard....

This topic is timely for me, I have always said I wouldn't do that test, but recently found out that someone that was distantly related had done it. They thought it was very interesting and recommended it. My ancestry has always been something that I wondered about, because some people have thought when I was a child I was Oriental, and as an adult some have thought Hispanic. I had come to think that there was some African ancestry due to some of the stories that have been told. Anyways I did the test and the results were somewhat surprising. 42% Irish, 31% from Great Britain, I am guessing mostly Scotland. Small percentages of other European areas, including 8% from the Iberian Peninsula, and 1% each of African and Native American.

Workinonit Farm":2thq3pf4 said:
Craig Miller":2thq3pf4 said:
I haven't had it done and probably won't. My grandma has traced our family back as far as she can--my dad's side back to the early 1600s out of Scotland, Ireland, and Netherland and my mom's side back to the early 1800s in South Carolina. She has spent the better part of 30 years going to libraries, court houses, and cemetaries to track down what you can do on the websites in a matter of mo ths or years.

My father did a similar project. Even went to Germany a couple of times, researching (his side). He was able to go back to the early 1500's with some of the folks on his side and at least the early 1600's on my mom's side.

Mamaw would love to go over there to research.....if she didn't have to travel to do it. They think they're too old to travel anywhere with her being 82 and him 88.

Craig Miller":3ghhnjwd said:
Workinonit Farm":3ghhnjwd said:
Craig Miller":3ghhnjwd said:

Mamaw would love to go over there to research.....if she didn't have to travel to do it. They think they're too old to travel anywhere with her being 82 and him 88.

My dad had done this, sometime back in the 1970's and 80's. We still have some cousins in Germany. :)

The DNA test on tells you half the story. Mitochondrial DNA passes mother to daughter. I have my mother's DNA but my daughters do not have it nor do my granddaughters etc.

We are up to something like "18 daughters of EVE" now in that all humans trace back to 18 or so women. I remember when it was the 9 daughters of Eve. About every thousand or so years a woman will have a mutated DNA and the cycle will start. But only if she has daughters to pass it on to. For instance my middle sister had only sons. If she was a carrier of mutated mitochondrial DNA, it went to the grave with her.

Your DNA tests put you back to one or more of these "daughters of EVE" CG8 your grandfather may have been Native American but the DNA trace is just not there.

It gets way more complicated but there's no need to go into page after page here. Research for your self bearing in mine that the experts disagree.

Dogs and Cows":3chrw4jw said:
Workinonit Farm":3chrw4jw said:
jedstivers":3chrw4jw said:
If your parents and your kids had it done does that nort show they are related? If they are that means you are your parents child.

That was my thinking. That's what I have been taught. But apparently I am wrong and that is not the case. Supposedly by the time the children get tested, it is too diluted to know for sure. :???:

Way over simplified explanation...it all depends on the specific markers that they use to determine a persons background. Generally they use markers that can be seen for many generations. For example, they can tell if someone has Scandinavian history that could go back over a thousand years. The use of multiple markers is very advantageous here. The slow generation time of humans lends itself to fairly accurate analysis. Europeans coming to this continent that subsequently have native american ancestry would not be diluted out...unless I am mistaken and Elizabeth Warren truly is Pocahontas.

What you are saying here, is what I had been taught. This is my understanding as well. This is what I was referring to, in my original post.

Somehow, now, we are wrong. :roll: :???: :?

Did anyone see South Park....lol.
My dad started a big family tree, back in the day when all you had was limited internet. He said he traced us back to Pocahontas...lol....

Latest posts