Do you like goats?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Never been around them

• Total voters
We've got a guy south of here that owns a sheep ranch and he has a few goats now, seems like more every year. We have 15 or 20 sheep right now including lambs and all they are cheap weedeaters, I can't stand the things because any way I look at them they're still maggots. Had one break its leg last year and that was awful good meat but it was still really young and if it had been much older the meat woulda been tougher than heck.

Anonymous":bhn6wxee said:
Goats used to bring $5 at the sale barn period. Any type any size.
Now we have a large influx of hispanic folks movin into our area.
I've seen goats bring over $100 in the last couple of years.
They must taist good? Dont think I'll try it.
Hillbilly
Goat Meat is Dam'n good eating if you CharcoalGrill it over a very hot fire to about medium rare.
Eat it right off the grill. Don't give it chance to cool off. We would stab it off the grill with a fork and start eating.

Goat ain't bad ! We used to use them for roping practice. Seems like every week or so one of em would get smart, as he came out of the calf shoot he would run up under the horse and run along so you could not rope him. It became sort of a reverse Darwinism. The smarter ones were tossed on the coals Sunday evening.

Those were some good times.

:)

Lloyd is right --- cabrito is damn good. As with any type of meat it needs to be cooked properly. We've always used mesquite, which I'd guess is what the folks down in Mexico use. And for those that haven't been raised around it, note that generally it is the young goats that are eaten as cabrito. I'm not certain, since I've never been brave enough to try an old one, but really old goats might best be tossed into a deep hole as Dun suggested. Probably the same comparisons could be made with respect to eating lamb versus eating an old worn out sheep.

I think Alejandro de la Garza posted some months ago that goat raising was very profitable for him down in Mexico, and is a viable complement to cattle raising.

WOW! The automatic "BE NICE" word censorship has really taken hold here.

On a somewhat related related note, I'm sure glad good ole Dick Cheney didn't feel compelled to let political correctness force him to apologize for using the F-word to Leahy.

Arnold Ziffle":3g6mqfxd said:

On a somewhat related related note, I'm sure glad good ole Dick Cheney didn't feel compelled to let political correctness force him to apologize for using the F-word to Leahy.
I agree with you on that, Arnold. Dick Cheney, that is

la4angus":gsr0widq said:
Arnold Ziffle":gsr0widq said:

I agree with you on that, Arnold. Dick Cheney, that is

Agree with both of you. Very refreshing change from the normal kiss my distinguished colleague's tail Senate routine. You can always count on Cheney to be all man on things that need doing or saying. Truly a great leader in his own right.

Hi, I,ve always liked goats but didn't have a place to raise them now i do plus my wife really likes them. Does anyone have a suggestion on web sites for goats?

Kev

I've raised goats, mostly dairy, on and off of r25 years. Also barbado sheep. They are both delicious. The older ones make fine hambuger or sausage, especially if mixed with pork. We have lots of feral hogs so that is easy enough. Or raise a domestic hog or buying a bit of pork to mix with an old goat is easy. You can have the sausage seasoned however you like. Young animals are good anyway you fix them but sell faster than you can raise them down here as cabrito kids. I milk, make butter etc, have meat, weed eaters and don't see how that reduces my "credibility". I have Livestock Guardian Dogs (Great Pyrenees) Australian Shepherds and a herd of donkeys and have not had a goat death from a predator in about 8 or 10 years. We live in the wild country were there are cougars, wolves and coyotes. Having the right dogs help. I have found the worst problem to be roaming domestic dogs that kill. Just keep your shotgun handy if you don't have good guard animals. My goats ran free for yrs. without any fencing on the ranch until some neighbors moved in to the next ranch and they were a bit too close for my many roaming goats and Barbados. That ended my lovely free ranging and "park-like pastures".

Ellie May":1olm103t said:
I was wondering if anybody has any ideas. We had 7 kids born last week. And 3 of the youngest died. They were nursing & looked good when I left I didn't get to check on them till today (that means one day I didn't check on them) I found 3 dead just curled up in the hay in the barn/shed. I was thinking it might of been too cold, but never had a problem with them being too cold. It was only about 40 degrees.
Ellie May

Are you giving them selenium? white muscle would be my first guess, why all 3 I don't know. Are you sure the doe had milk, and the plugs were out of the ends of her teats? I wouldn't even consider it too cold at 40̊F. I kid & calve in March. The daytime temps here are usually in the 40's at that time of year.

:lol:

Well I have a lot of brush and weeds.I heard goats are good about cleaning that up. What kind of fencing works best and is affordable?

guest":3ra9jihm said:
:lol:

Well I have a lot of brush and weeds.I heard goats are good about cleaning that up. What kind of fencing works best and is affordable?

multistrand electric with alternating hot and ground strands

dun

I would have to vote a BIG NO! 2 years ago I had trouble with rats on an old farm I bought. Neighbor said buy a goat. No wonder he smelled terriable, and the next day I pulled into the yard he was out eating the siding off the house. I threw him back in the truck and took him back where I got him!

Anonymous":ffcnzhdw said:
I would have to vote a BIG NO! 2 years ago I had trouble with rats on an old farm I bought. Neighbor said buy a goat. No wonder he smelled terriable, and the next day I pulled into the yard he was out eating the siding off the house. I threw him back in the truck and took him back where I got him!

Bucks do stink during the breeding season. AFter a while it almost gets to be a pleasent perfume. As with anything else, you gotta have the facilities BEFORE you bring the critters home.

dun

Yeah when you smell a buck you should be happy that means he is doing his job. http://www.goatworld.com is a great place has alot of alot of info. I reccomend 4x4 pig/goat/woven wire. It's great they can't jump it, can't go under it and best of all can't get there head stuck. The squares are too small.
Thank you,
Ellie May

Latest posts