Anatolian Shepard

Help Support CattleToday:

HSTexas

Reaction score
I think this is the dog I would like to have once I have livestock. If it's a girl dog its Margo .

HSTexas":1wm9zgmc said:
I think this is the dog I would like to have once I have livestock. If it's a girl dog its Margo .

Sir, you will be wearing that dog for clothing after we take the shirt off your back in damage claims.

We have a Pyrenees/Anatolian mix, Buddy. Male, 4 years old and about 110 lbs, goes everywhere on the farm with my wife. He trots along beside the Gator. Nothing or nobody is going to mess with her.
He thinks the place belongs to him and we all just live there. He does a perimeter patrol around the 40 acre pasture at the house at least once daily.

OleScout":2u11zlh9 said:
We have a Pyrenees/Anatolian mix, Buddy. Male, 4 years old and about 110 lbs, goes everywhere on the farm with my wife. He trots along beside the Gator. Nothing or nobody is going to mess with her.
He thinks the place belongs to him and we all just live there. He does a perimeter patrol around the 40 acre pasture at the house at least once daily.
Have always heard that cross is better than either breed pure bred. Had a couple of pyrenees over the years and they too would make that perimeter trip ever afternoon, woofing about every 30 seconds and peeing about ever 100 feet :nod: Great with kids but he// on coyotes and anything else that came int he pasture.

We used to just call dogs that bark when something comes around and that would run predators off just, well...dogs.
Nowadays tho, if you want to be a 'real' farmer, you gotta have an "LGD". A Livestock Guard Dog.
Wanna sell a noisy dog? List it as an 'LGD' and the world will come a knockin with fistfulls of $$ in hand.
A whole industry has sprung up around this new age phenom and people are making tons of cash off it.

A dang ol blue eyed lep or yella cur will do the same thing but they don't count because they ain't among the anointed breeds of the cool and man bunned hobbyist....gotta be a pyr or anatolian or it just ain't squat.
Biggest marketing gimmick since CAB.

greybeard":3stn6bpk said:
We used to just call dogs that bark when something comes around and that would run predators off just, well...dogs.
Nowadays tho, if you want to be a 'real' farmer, you gotta have an "LGD". A Livestock Guard Dog.
Wanna sell a noisy dog? List it as an 'LGD' and the world will come a knockin with fistfulls of $$ in hand.
A whole industry has sprung up around this new age phenom and people are making tons of cash off it.

A dang ol blue eyed lep or yella cur will do the same thing but they don't count because they ain't among the anointed breeds of the cool and man bunned hobbyist....gotta be a pyr or anatolian or it just ain't squat.
Had a couple of those old yella cur dogs try to cross my pasture. That big male Great Pyrenees (LGD) not only chased them down but turned them into buzzard bait. I never really called mine a LGD but he was big and he would guard the animals and he was a dog. They don't just bark.Actually mine seldom bark. :mrgreen:

greybeard":l7rduurw said:

I respectively disagree. You can see the adoption and protection nature in the animal. Both of mine are GP/AS mix, siblings. One looks GP (male) and one looks AS (female).

They make a perfect team. He is bigger and stronger, hangs back out of sight but there at a moments notice when she calls. She stays with the sheep almost always and runs like the wind.

They are pure entertainment when they wrestle each other. You can see how they practice their fighting skills. He is north of 110, she is about 90. Less than two years old.

The old ladies Anatolian barks all night. He barks at his own shadow. They claim he chases the deer off but he will be out in the pasture barking while the deer are in the yard eating their roses. The only livestock they have is 9 Llamas and 4 donkeys, all which don't need any guarding.

Dave":me3bj3yr said:
The old ladies Anatolian barks all night. He barks at his own shadow. They claim he chases the deer off but he will be out in the pasture barking while the deer are in the yard eating their roses. The only livestock they have is 9 Llamas and 4 donkeys, all which don't need any guarding.
May he is telling you to get some real livestock

greybeard":3euf88bh said:

I heard HSTexas was a weekender/city slicker so that's probably why he's interested in those breeds. May even have a man bun...

M-5":3uuqh4fl said:
Dave":3uuqh4fl said:
May he is telling you to get some real livestock

He doesn't have to tell me anything. Right after offering to shoot the dog, I offer to haul off the Llamas and donkeys. When the wife bought this place she gave the old gals a life time estate to live in the big house and use half the pasture.

Latest posts