Anaplasmosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Was at the coffee shop and a man said one of his cows died of anaplasmosis. I read the piece on this site about it and remember about it from school. My question is has anyone else had it and what is your best guesse on how your animal got it? This man says flies got his cow. I know they can carry it but we have not had any flies for a few months. I asked if he had given any shots and he said not in a while. No open wounds or any of that. Vet suposedly diagnosed this.

Scotty

We had it here back in the early nineties. One of the ways that the cattle get it is through horse flies, (there are always horse flies around), biting an infected animal and passing it along. The only thing that we had die from it was bulls and bull calves. Most of the heifer's and cows that came down with it pulled through. We vaccinate all for it now.

There are not any wounds or anything. The vet does a blood test. The blood is a yellow tint, almost like water with a litte yellow coloring.

Haven't had it around here in years, knock on wood.

If it's a concern, you can also feed a commercially prepared mineral supplement that helps prevent it with low doses of antibiotics.