Anaplasmosis

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Got an email from my neighbor this morning that one of her cows as diagnosed with advanced Anaplasmosis. Says it can be spread from flies and ticks or something. Never heard of it, should I be worried and if so what preventative measure should I take?

Have seen several cases of Anaplasmosis come through the diagnostic laboratory here over the last 3 weeks or so.
It's fairly common here in KY/TN, but distribution is spotty; I see cases almost every fall - but I never saw a case in the five years I was in veterinary practice in southern middle TN, back in the 80s - but colleagues 60 miles away saw it regularly.

Took in one last Friday evening - the owner had noticed this cow off to herself, and moving slow. He gave a dose of LA-200, and she walked about 30 ft and fell over dead. He called me on Saturday morning to tell me he'd had another one that fell over dead right after treating her, and was concerned about whether it was something he was doing wrong, or if something might be wrong with his LA-200.
I'd explained to him on Friday night that some of these cows might be teetering right on the brink of death due to anemia, and that just the stress of getting them up in the corral to work them might push them 'over the edge' - and warned him that some of these cows can become quite belligerent/aggressive, as their brains become 'starved' for oxygen.
Gotta treat 'em. I've always injected with a long-acting tetracycline, but in some instances, a lower-stress option might be feeding a ration with CTC(chlortetracycline) in it - if you can get high enough levels of the drug into them.

aplusmnt":zyojgq9b said:
Got an email from my neighbor this morning that one of her cows as diagnosed with advanced Anaplasmosis. Says it can be spread from flies and ticks or something. Never heard of it, should I be worried and if so what preventative measure should I take?
I lost a cow to it three years ago but since then I startet to keep out the medicated Anaplas meal or blocks some time both,seems some cows will eat one but not the other and they have to eat it for it to do them any good I put it out in spring when flys come out and leave it till first frost have not had any problems since I started doing this

About 3 years ago, bull was acting funny, by himself, and no energy. Next day, I called vet and they said to bring him in quickly. Also asked how bull was behaving and to be extremely careful because some get very aggressive. Saved bull, but didn't treat cows, and that was the mistake. Vet said to watch cows and if any symptoms we should treat herd. I have a small herd, and lost a cow while out of town. Later, we found out that about 20% of cows were out of the spring calving cycle and calving as late as November. Discussed with vet and he said that antiplas could be the cause, as some cows will abort to fight it. It will be at least 2-3 years before I can get the November cows back to spring calving, might be easier to just cull them. Looking back, I would gladly pay to treat herd rather than mess up the game plan. Vet also said that bull would need 2-3 months before being in top breeding form.

rjk":3qahbejd said:
we found out that about 20% of cows were out of the spring calving cycle and calving as late as November. Discussed with vet and he said that antiplas could be the cause, as some cows will abort to fight it.

???? Has anyone else ever heard of this ?
From what I am reading ,if I understand you ,there was no other signs just abort the calf then the cow was ok. Does not sound like the anaplasmosis that I have seen most if not all I have seen will get wild, mean & act crazy that is just 1 sign there is other signs to look at.

Bryant,
Some of my colleagues in the profession will spout BS just as readily as some of the posters on this board.
Can anaplasmosis cause abortions? Sure - if that cow is so anemic that she's not getting enough oxygen to the calf, she'll abort - but she'd probably be noticeably sick, and maybe even dead.
I've seen plenty of dead anaplas cows that still have a calf inside 'em - and never saw an abortion that I could chalk up to anaplasmosis.
I'm not saying that your vet was absolutely wrong about anaplas being the cause of 20% of the herd being out of synch with the normal calving season, but there's a whole bunch of other problems I'd be looking at before I'd hang my hat on anaplas.

Latest posts