Anaplasmosis

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms

Reaction score
I lost a cow with probable anaplasmosis today. Anyone had any experience with this? What are best preventions and treatments? Thanks in advance.

alexfarms":2jz9x43g said:
I lost a cow with probable anaplasmosis today. Anyone had any experience with this? What are best preventions and treatments? Thanks in advance.

Normally caused by "blood suckers". Ticks, flies, mosquitoes, etc. Treat with tetracycline. Some feeds are made for the purpose and will have a very high level of CTC in them. One company use to make an anaplasmosis "block" you could put out for the cows to eat. Don't know if they still make them or not.

alexfarms":x6n2n1y8 said:

I deal with it quite often, just had a bull with tick borne anaplasmosis last week.

I treat with Forray 65 (because gallsickness and redwater (babesiosis) are almost indistinguishable in the early stages), followed up by long acting oxytetracycline, followed up every 72 hours for 10 days. Inject with Phosamine Stimulans (Vit B complex and phospahte to restore the energy pathways) every day 20cc IM for a cow 30cc IM for a bull, untill the animals starts eating on its own.

Cattle get constipated, very anemic and basically jaundiced because of the anaplasmosis. If you drench them with 1 litre vinegar, 1 kg sugar, 0.5 kg Epsom salts and 1 cup brewers yeast diluted 3 litres lukewarm water it deals with the constipation as well as get the rumen started again. The first bowel movement are usually pitchblack from all the gall.

Bulls are usually infertile for 6 weeks afterwards because of the high fever associated with anaplasmosis.

TexasBred":1lwvn8fi said:
Normally caused by "blood suckers". Ticks, flies, mosquitoes, etc. Treat with tetracycline. Some feeds are made for the purpose and will have a very high level of CTC in them. One company use to make an anaplasmosis "block" you could put out for the cows to eat. Don't know if they still make them or not.
There is still a block you can buy also a anaplas meal I have used both I perfer the meal just make sure they will eat it there is more than one brand where I live but my cows eat the one made by purina and seem to like it and so far I have had good luke with it.

I forgot to mention there is a very effective vaccine for anaplasmosis available here, I'm sure you'll have an equivalent.

Ragland and Purina both make anaplasmosis blocks that my cattle find very likable, easy to put out and they eat it better than the mineral I was putting out, even the little ones like it.

I give the animal a shot of anti inflammatory for three days aswell as this aids the stiffness associated with the disease.

KNERSIE":3j4i6i0f said:
I forgot to mention there is a very effective vaccine for anaplasmosis available here, I'm sure you'll have an equivalent.

As far as I know there is no vaccine here. I checked both pbs animal health and valley vet to no avail. If you know where to find it definitely let us all know.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":rkgudjcf said:
KNERSIE":rkgudjcf said:

As far as I know there is no vaccine here. I checked both pbs animal health and valley vet to no avail. If you know where to find it definitely let us all know.

Onderstepoort animal Health Research centre makes the vaccine.

KNERSIE":1xk2a10c said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":1xk2a10c said:
KNERSIE":1xk2a10c said:

Onderstepoort animal Health Research centre makes the vaccine.

The research centre above's official name appears to be Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute

Here is a USA based website that has a anaplasmosis vaccine
http://www.anaplasmosis.com/

when you notice they have it they are usually so weak that if you try to get meds into them the excitement will kill them. many times they will charge you and act crazy. have killed some by trying to get them caught. they claim if you leave them alone many will recover on their own. aureomycin mixed in the minerals will keep them from getting it & if you have some brahman influence they are not as likely to get it. i use the areo from june when pinkeye starts til some time in sept.

There are 2 types of vaccines that are available that my vet gets for us:

1. For animals older than 14 months never vaccinated = 1 shot thats boosted each year, killed vaccine

2. For animals less than 14 months = 1 shot that you never have to boost again, modified live vaccine and our vet has it shipped directly to our house in a refrigerated package... it's a timed delivery so it is scheduled 2 to 3 days before you give the shot, the vaccine is marked to only be "effective" for 1 week after they thaw it out to ship to you.

...ask your vet to set you up - it's a prescription, not an over the counter purchase.

Latest posts