Anaplasmosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Good video, thanks for sharing. I go to a lot of classes/BQA certification sponsored by our local sale barn & the K State Extension and Dan Thompson is almost always a keynote speaker.
The following link is an article about anaplasmosis at the Division Ranch last year. I know Jason, he grew up ranching and is an incredible manager; just goes to show you can do everything "right" and still end up with a train wreck. Makes me consider using the anaplas vaccine, which is approved in KS.
https://www.drovers.com/article/anger-over-anaplasmosis

Fire Sweep Ranch":3189c0u8 said:
Don't give credit to who threw you that bone Ron! <shaking my head>

Lol. This video came to you by the good graces of Fire Sweep Ranch. Thank you Kris.

Bright Raven":1j7ytoo3 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":1j7ytoo3 said:

Lol. This video came to you by the good graces of Fire Sweep Ranch. Thank you Kris.

Ron, does your mineral contain anything to prevent anaplas? I talked to a mineral guy today and he was pushing it pretty hard.

TennesseeTuxedo":105sbg7j said:
Bright Raven":105sbg7j said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":105sbg7j said:

Ron, does your mineral contain anything to prevent anaplas? I talked to a mineral guy today and he was pushing it pretty hard.

No. And it does not work. The amount of chlorotetracyline required to be effective far exceeds what is available in any mineral.

Bright Raven":63ccjemu said:
TennesseeTuxedo":63ccjemu said:
Bright Raven":63ccjemu said:

No. And it does not work. The amount of chlorotetracyline required to be effective far exceeds what is available in any mineral.

I am glad to hear you say that. Thank you.

TennesseeTuxedo":387zxvam said:
Bright Raven":387zxvam said:
TennesseeTuxedo":387zxvam said:

I am glad to hear you say that. Thank you.

Dr. Darin Stanfield gave an hour long presentation on Anaplasmosis in Maysville. He used some calculations based on CTC levels in minerals to demonstrate they did not achieve the levels necessary to combat Anaplasmosis.

TennesseeTuxedo":18cvkolf said:
Bright Raven":18cvkolf said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":18cvkolf said:

This is the first year I haven't used CTC (at least so far), primarily based on what happened at Division. When you take into consideration there may be a 30% variable coupled with the likelihood not all cattle are going to consume the recommended amount it doesn't seem to make financial sense - and mineral w/CTC has gone up.

TCRanch":1bfjbcev said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1bfjbcev said:
Bright Raven":1bfjbcev said:

This is the first year I haven't used CTC (at least so far), primarily based on what happened at Division. When you take into consideration there may be a 30% variable coupled with the likelihood not all cattle are going to consume the recommended amount it doesn't seem to make financial sense - and mineral w/CTC has gone up.

Waaaaay up.

OK so we know there is a problem what do we do to protect them ?????????
has anyone used the mineral with garlic in it, suppose to keep ticks and flies off ???
I fought anaplaz a few years ago its some bad stuff.

Bryant,
I have been feeding Heat mineral, from Vitaferm. It has garlic (for flies) and another ingredient for the fescue (capsaicin - chili peppers, cinnamon and cloves) which helps with the circulation. We have almost no fly or tick problem, and do not pour, but we also used Long Range wormer earlier this spring.
I hope that helps some...

Fire Sweep Ranch":26frb5jh said:
Bryant,
I have been feeding Heat mineral, from Vitaferm. It has garlic (for flies) and another ingredient for the fescue (capsaicin - chili peppers, cinnamon and cloves) which helps with the circulation. We have almost no fly or tick problem, and do not pour, but we also used Long Range wormer earlier this spring.
I hope that helps some...

What does Heat run a bag approximately? I just bought Purina W/R Fly Control medicated 5600 this morning and it was $35.50/bag I believe.

I'd have to look at my last receipt, but if I remember correctly, it is about $70/100. I buy 100 pounds at a time. So comparable.

No, need a vfd.

I just called for one the other day. But, I'm mixing my own. Vet gal said she had only talked to one other producer for that. Everyone else is buying pre mixed. I am used to mixing mine, since Purina didn't offer it with hi mag until the vfd came out. I guess they figured you didnt need ctc when you also needed hi mag. I feed hi mag yr round.

The last pallets of heat I bought ran me 30.50 without ctc. I buy 3 pallets at a time, so get a small discount. The medicated was around 37$ a bag, I decided it wasn't worth it. My vet has told me the amount they consume from the mineral does nothing anyways.
We will see how that works out this year, flys and ticks are already out in full force.

Latest posts