An urgent question

Help Support CattleToday:

Popa Cosmin

Reaction score
I have a pregnant heifer 3 years old that can't ruminate. She is not full with air. But her stomach doesn't want to function. It is blocked. She eats and drinks water. The problem appeared 3 days ago.
We gave her some antibiotics and the vet gave her caffeine, some beer yeast and vinegar. She is sad and I feel that she is suffering.

I had a similar problem a few months ago. The cow died. The stomach (dissection) was hard as a rock. She was on pasture so I didn't know she was sick…

What is the cause of this problem? Alimentation? Insufficient minerals?

What can I do now?

Cosmin :(

Google displaced abomasum. See if that fits any of the cows symptoms.

When my husband, Van, had a calf at the vet's clinic the other day, the vet was doing surgery on a cow that had that problem.

Alice

Is this what your Vet told you that she had a blockage, or did he say her stomach was twisted? Two very different things. Twisted stomachs are displaced abomasums, either left or right, corrected with surgery, a blockage I think would be very serious. Is her stomach very distended, where it is effecting her breathing? I'd call a different Vet for more advice.

GMN

Popa Cosmin":1q3l6ylf said:
I have a pregnant heifer 3 years old that can't ruminate. She is not full with air. But her stomach doesn't want to function. It is blocked. She eats and drinks water. The problem appeared 3 days ago.
We gave her some antibiotics and the vet gave her caffeine, some beer yeast and vinegar. She is sad and I feel that she is suffering.

I had a similar problem a few months ago. The cow died. The stomach (dissection) was hard as a rock. She was on pasture so I didn't know she was sick…

What is the cause of this problem? Alimentation? Insufficient minerals?

What can I do now?

Cosmin :(

This is fairly common in animals which are receiving inadequate nutrition, such as eating straw. They can impact and seem full, yet be getting insufficient to eat. You can do a rumen transfaunation (juice from the rumen of a freshly killed animal, pumped into the sick animal) while it is still warm...but it just plain may be too late. Ensure you have enough quality in the feed, as this will happen to every one of your herd.....in time.

Popa Cosmin":2scarnxa said:
Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. The heifer is fine. :)

Cosmin

Did you find out what the casue was. Im very curious.

Latest posts