An Update In Defense of AHA

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
I've done my share of complaining, but let's give credit where it's due:

CHB sales this year were up from 2.9 million pounds last year to 4.4 million pounds this year, just in the foodservice sector, with an overall increase of 1.4 million pounds.

84% of calves registered were by Total Performance Records breeders, and 107,521 cows were enrolled in TPR.

Increased acceptance and use of Hereford bulls by AI studs. ABS Global reported a 56% increase in Hereford semen sales.

Over the last five years there has been a 5,000+ head increase in AI use, with 19.4% of the total Hereford calf-crop being the result of AI. (I have mixed feelings about this, but it has been a point of criticism for our breed by some.)

A change I heartily approve of was the shift from an IMF EPD to a marbling EPD.

The designation of Sire of Distinction and CHB sire of distinction allows you to see the track record of the sires in a bull's pedigree pertaining to producing outstanding cows, or exceptional carcass performance.

There is ongoing research at Harris Ranch, Circle A Ranch, University of Missouri, and Amana Farms. The Circle A and U of M data is supporting the claim of Hereford efficiency that has been proven by the first year Harris Ranch studies.

The CHB thing is gaining momentum, I visited with the new Food Service Director at a recent food show, they have targeted some major food service wholesalers to carry the CHB line, I was very impressed with their prices, he was telling me a few ideas he has for the program, if they could ever get 1 major burger chain to promote it would be big.
As far as semen usage the breeders are more to blame than the AHA.
look at other breeds prices for semen and then certificate prices $15-20 semen $30 certs are pretty common and a distributor friend tells me that breeders are hard to deal with, most distributors like 50/50 and handle advertising, storage, money etc. A few breeders he has tried to hook up with in past wanted to give them $2-5 a straw he told me its getting better now but we lost a lot of use in past.

Wait until you see next year's CHB numbers. They should tank. However, I believe they will capture market share from CAB which should also tank.

KMacGinley":p5j95d7b said:
Why will CAB tank?

Reduced consumer spending of the consumer credit crisis related to the financial crisis meltdown and deleveraging, consumer credit card debt, and consumer mortgage defaults. Beans are an excellent substitute source of protein for the masses. The middle class is expected to downgrade to non-CAB beef as it is less expensive.

HerefordSire":3vhveccc said:
The middle class is expected to downgrade to non-CAB beef as it is less expensive.[/i]

Or CAB can just cut it's prices. For example SAM's Club sells only it's own house brand Angus Beef.

I am being trying to be humorous in the following.....

...or we can implement a sin tax (glutten) for obese persons similar to cigarettes and alcohol and further reduce demand for CAB. We could use the proceeds for road repair and health care costs.
:mrgreen:

Latest posts