An Ugly Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Today when I was looking at cows I found a heifer I haven't seen/found for a couple weeks in my cow checks...I was kind of worried about her because she is named after my oldest granddaughter....She was one of the few that came early this spring/winter because I had bred the cows early- matching the cows up with certain bulls- and almost forgot about it until I found her in the middle of a bunch of cows on a minus 27 degree chill factor morning- born almost 2 weeks early...

Lazy Bar B Leinie (sire Bannon of Wye 730T out of a Strategy/Miner Tribute 705 cow) as she looked when she was 10 days old....
Calves2-12-09004.jpg

How she looks today...Growing great- but missing ears and 1/2 a tail- which makes me feel guilty- but also tells me she has a couple of qualities to make a good cow- vigor at birth and the will to live...And her dispostition is great as since she got special attention when she was little- I had to nudge her with a foot to get her up to pose for the picture...Not hardly enough ear to even get a tag to stay- barely got a W tattoo to fit- but I figure I can tell who she is-- even tho I have a few others with somewhat similar ear defects...
July112009015.jpg

I have a couple like that. Born at -38 it is tough. I put them in the warm up box and dry completely before going back with the cow. Still, hard to keep the extremities from freezing. I worry about ankles and legs. noses etc. Sometimes getting that cold will effect overall performance and might cause problems during future cold weather.
She looks to be doing good. You know? If she is other wise healthy, better off to keep her. Will be culled out at the sale, or in the least bring down the price of her herd mates. Or fatten her for kill. Won't make any difference on the grill.

Rustler9":18dd8vrf said:
Well, she should make a good cow for you. Looks like she grew well. Gonna hang on to her?

Oh yeah we will keep her and see what kind of cow she turns into....I've kept a lot of these no eared- and no tailed- and never had a problem with them...I have a couple more heifers that were AI daughters to N Bar Prime Time that have parts of ears missing that we will also be saving as replacements...

Here's a pic of my not-so-ugly heifer. :) She has all her pieces parts, but was born 18 days early. When we saw her momma had calved so early, we expected to find a dead calf. But she's done pretty well, I think. Midland X Krugerrand-Ext cow.

vacation015.jpg

Every year it seems I get one with the lost ears. The one I had from last calving season I pulled her 15 mins. after she was born and threw her in the calf hutch in the shop. Despite wearing a toque for a few days when she was put back out with mom the ears fell off.

Latest posts