An Ironhide

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
This is a bull I sold to a User on this board. Sold as a cow and calf pair. The calf was born in September 2017. He took possession I think in February. Calf is sired by Ironhide. I am posting a picture he sent me. I will not identify him as some folks may not want to have their name associated with my cattle. Lol. But this boy is a beast. Buyer said he is 1000 pounds at 9 months.
szajq1.jpg

Edited to add: I don't know if he is being grained but suspect he is.

Edit 2: owner just text me. He is on grass and 10 pounds of feed per day.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":9lq5vbyl said:
He looks good. Did you have several Ironhide calves?

Yes. They all look good. I saw the bull at Genex in Springfield, MO where he was collected. At the time, he was suffering a rupture - type where the intestine enters the scrotum. He has since been put down. Semen is now $50 per straw. I only bought 5 straws but I got 4 calves and one due this fall.
2niadlt.jpg

Nice stout calf. I flushed a cow to him but didn't get any pretty disappointed :cry2:

I thought genex had him as a 6 in there book. The ones we have had aren't overly tall but stout as heck.

Bright Raven":22cko1zj said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":22cko1zj said:

Yes. They all look good. I saw the bull at Genex in Springfield, MO where he was collected. At the time, he was suffering a rupture - type where the intestine enters the scrotum. He has since been put down. Semen is now $50 per straw. I only bought 5 straws but I got 4 calves and one due this fall.
2niadlt.jpg

You are confusing two different bulls Ron. Wide Track had a scrotal hernia, after being allowed to live cover cows at Owen Brothers farm. He then had a false positive for a genetic disease, which was his death sentence. They later showed it was a false positive, but he had already been disposed of.
Iron Hide was out with cows in the fall, and his scrotum got stepped on. When they went to collect him at Genex, they discovered his injury and could not get anything out of him. He has been disposed of. YES, his semen went up to $50 a straw.

Hope that straightens things up....

Fire Sweep Ranch":3dpv2x68 said:
Bright Raven":3dpv2x68 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3dpv2x68 said:

2niadlt.jpg

You are confusing two different bulls Ron. Wide Track had a scrotal hernia, after being allowed to live cover cows at Owen Brothers farm. He then had a false positive for a genetic disease, which was his death sentence. They later showed it was a false positive, but he had already been disposed of.
Iron Hide was out with cows in the fall, and his scrotum got stepped on. When they went to collect him at Genex, they discovered his injury and could not get anything out of him. He has been disposed of. YES, his semen went up to $50 a straw.

Well. We all can't be perfect. Oh great one!!!

Bright Raven":234oeosm said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":234oeosm said:
Bright Raven":234oeosm said:
2niadlt.jpg

Being a Genex delegate, I know my bulls.....!!!!! lol

Fire Sweep Ranch":1pjl4wb6 said:
Bright Raven":1pjl4wb6 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":1pjl4wb6 said:

Being a Genex delegate, I know my bulls.....!!!!! lol

You didn't have to be rude. :lol:

True Grit Farms":1ayg5ufk said:
Sounds like longevity could be a serious problem. The truth is, only believe half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.

In the case of Ironhide - it was an accident. Unless one of the cows was mad at him.

Grass lunnings sold a flush on an ironhide cow this February and she had a beautiful udder on her so I think if cows are culled it won't be because of that.

True Grit Farms":pnaz1ud3 said:
Sounds like longevity could be a serious problem. The truth is, only believe half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.

He is in the top 20% for for STAY, which means his offspring will be around for awhile....

Bright Raven":r9d9jqwf said:
True Grit Farms":r9d9jqwf said:

In the case of Ironhide - it was an accident. Unless one of the cows was mad at him.

You said he had a rupture at first, you only know what you've been led to believe. Look at how many young AI Sires are deceased in all breeds, coincidence? I don't buy it.

True Grit Farms":2yrdecg1 said:
Bright Raven":2yrdecg1 said:
True Grit Farms":2yrdecg1 said:

You said he had a rupture at first, you only know what you've been led to believe. Look at how many young AI Sires are deceased in all breeds, coincidence? I don't buy it.

It pays to be cautious but you need to guard against being too skeptical.

Several years back, we bought one cane of Triple C Singletary... steers were good, daughters were nice, but we only ended up with two of them. Wanted some more, but he was off Genex's list... they claimed he was dead... but I later heard that there were more calving difficulties with his calves (we didn't have any) than they were comfortable with and dropped him... but the bull was still alive and servicing cows at Wicks Cattle in ND.
So... I don't always buy the official line on why a bull falls off the list of offerings.

Latest posts