An idea on possibly selling bull calves...

Help Support CattleToday:

WagaAgeyv

Reaction score
I know some of you may have thought of it but I would like your opinion.

Because Kelly is showing and loves to show off the babies, I thought if we halter break both bulls and then take them to shows and makem look good. Then we can put a "For Sale" sign on the trailor and we will load them and wave them gone.

Just a thought, what do you all think?

Here they are a week apart hard to choose which to keep or to sell. Want to give them each a chance.

Frockle.jpg

Bully.jpg

I'm guessing that you'd do this after they're weaned, right? Do you have shows all year round? What happens if someone from out of state wants one? Unless you want to keep one, you could take both if you have trailer space. Both are very nice calves...second one is the older one?

What about keep one a bull and one a steer? Then he could show both. Just a thought. But putting a sign up saying one or both are for sale wouldnt be a bad idea either.

Yes the bottom one is only 3 days older but the top one is bigger now. The older one has bigger buttons though. I have thought of that too. They both have great potential.

If we sell one out of state we could use our networking to deliver. We, (Longhorn breeders), have bought cows and had them taken by another breed to their farm, because you didn't intend to buy anything and just couldn't pass on a good deal, and then you arrange to get them unless you have another breeder or yourself is heading in that direction.

I just would rather try and get the most out of them before we decide. We are still small enough we don't have a lot to sort yet. So we may cut or keep don't know yet waiting to see pics of older ones sire yet to see if he may have lots of potental. We will see.

Thanks for the help, any other ideas pass them along.

WagaAgeyv":26v1fj1j said:
I know some of you may have thought of it but I would like your opinion.

Because Kelly is showing and loves to show off the babies, I thought if we halter break both bulls and then take them to shows and makem look good. Then we can put a "For Sale" sign on the trailor and we will load them and wave them gone.

Just a thought, what do you all think?

Here they are a week apart hard to choose which to keep or to sell. Want to give them each a chance.

They're way too young to make decisions on using them for breeding bulls. Will you guarantee him as a breeder when you do sell one? If so, you may be opening yourself up to having to buy him back if he turns out to be a nonbreeder. If you don't guarantee him and the new owner doesn't take good care of him and he won't breed, you could be putting your reputation on the line. Just some thoughts.....

Latest posts