An article in local paper about cattle identification

Help Support CattleToday:

John IN

Reaction score
The article below was in my local southeastern Indiana paper, what do you think.

Disease expert seeks national cattle identification program

A national cattle identification program would help combat spread of mad cow disease, according to a Purdue University animal disease expert. But an international trade expert said the damage to the American beef industry is done at least through 2004.
Leon Thacker, Purdue veterinary pathologist and director of the Indiana Animal Disease Laboratory, said a national cattle identification system is necessary so state and federal authorities can pinpoint the origin of animals. This would allow the farm and geographic origin of animals to be traced when necessary, whether for disease or any other reason.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has established federal requirements for meat inspection. States may have their own regulations for meat inspection, but federal law requires they be at least as stringent as USDA standards. However, almost haft of all states currently don't have their own inspection agencies.
Thacker also can discuss the need for consistent inspections during slaughtering and processing.
Purdue agricultural economist Philip Paarlberg said he doesn't expect beef exports levels to return at all in 2004.

I think that anyone who wants to sell their beef for human consumption is going to need to ID their cattle in the next year or two. We've needed a national ID system for a long time, but the BSE infected cow got the attention of the government and it's going to happen. We all saw video of the F&M outbreak in Britain a few years ago. Figuring the size of the US, and how cattle are moved from region to region, how would we ever trace an outbreak of F&M if we had one here. The NCBA has been working on a voluntary program but no one has paid much attention to it until recently. Hopefully, an ID program will fall under Homeland Security and there will be some Federal money available to help offset the costs.

I stated last year, that all the crap of the Mad Cow was only a goverment's stragety so everyone accept the National ID system, if you check Cattle's Today poll around 30% of us were in favor of the ID system, now everyone need to be in it.

Frankie":1o2otrq4 said:
I think that anyone who wants to sell their beef for human consumption is going to need to ID their cattle in the next year or two. We've needed a national ID system for a long time, but the BSE infected cow got the attention of the government and it's going to happen. We all saw video of the F&M outbreak in Britain a few years ago. Figuring the size of the US, and how cattle are moved from region to region, how would we ever trace an outbreak of F&M if we had one here. The NCBA has been working on a voluntary program but no one has paid much attention to it until recently. Hopefully, an ID program will fall under Homeland Security and there will be some Federal money available to help offset the costs.

I'm all for the National ID system. It may have a negative effect on the "backyard Farmer", but it should offer some protection for commercial producers.

I have no problem with an ID program as long as it was set up as a National system and was combined with a Country of Origin Labeling. Every piece of beef should be traceable back to ranch or ranches (ground beef) of origin and each should be labeled as to country of origin: USA- Canada- Mexico- Australia- Brazil- or labeled as mixed (ground beef).

The American consumer should have a right to make a decision on the meat they buy- buy American or buy imported.