An Angus question?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
Can anyone tell me whether Vermillion Yellowstone is any good? He has been siring the top priced bulls sold so far her in Australia this year.
We have used an 036 bull with lots of calving problems but we get very few when we use an Australian bull with little or no Canadian or US influence.

Colin

Australian Cattleman":1vhowh0z said:
Can anyone tell me whether Vermillion Yellowstone is any good? He has been siring the top priced bulls sold so far her in Australia this year.
We have used an 036 bull with lots of calving problems but we get very few when we use an Australian bull with little or no Canadian or US influence.

Colin

Gee, he must be good if his sons are selling so well. ;-)

"an 036 bull" Does your 036 son have EPDs? We've used 878 (an 036 son) with no problem at all. What kind of cows are you breeding him to and what's his dam's pedigree? No bull is perfect, but we've never had a problem with 036 or 878. There are also a lot of 1407s being born here in OK and I've not heard of any particular calving problems. But no bull is perfect.

If you like big framed cattle he would work. They are also very long. His BW is pretty darned big. I wouldn't use him due to mature size, but some would.

he will add some frame to the replacements but I would say he'd be a good bull to use in your circumstances. He would also add some muscle. Ought to make one heck of a terminal cross or even probably make some pretty good females...

Australian Cattleman":2y2i3gc6 said:

Colin
Perhaps you should investigate the EPD's on all of your cows for Calving Ease and Birth Weights! EPD's really DO make a difference in Herd management technics in making improvements within your herd! :eek: :eek:

Australian Cattleman":29stxubd said:

Colin

I have heard these kinds of comments for Aussies before. Kind of makes me wonder about the maternal calving ease of Aussie cows. Are Australian cows kind of small?

i had a 036 son never pulled a calf ....have kept close to 20 daughters from the 036 son and have never pulled one of them either.....one my heifers was breed i guess thought the fence calfed at 16 months no problem i thought there would have been but had a great little bull ...only sold him because i kept to many daughters..john

just to answer Tod. Our cows are nicely framed cows and should never have trouble calving especially to an Angus bull. These days there is so much "other breeds" added to some supposedly pure breeds that caution is needed.
Angus is not the only breed that I refer to. Poll Herefords, Herefords and South Devons as well that were imported from the US and Canada a few years ago did a lot of damage with calving problems and doing ability in our tough country.
Our cattle have to survive without having to check whether mature cows have survived calving.
As I've said before on this board I don't trust EPDs and Breedplan they are only as good as the honesty of those submitting the details.
Colin

Frankie":2zzf6glr said:
Australian Cattleman":2zzf6glr said:

Colin

"an 036 bull" Does your 036 son have EPDs? We've used 878 (an 036 son) with no problem at all. What kind of cows are you breeding him to and what's his dam's pedigree? No bull is perfect, but we've never had a problem with 036 or 878. There are also a lot of 1407s being born here in OK and I've not heard of any particular calving problems. But no bull is perfect.

Frankie- I have been using some halfbrother bulls- sons of 878 (MGS- Homestead Blockbuster) on both heifers and cows and haven't had a problem one- also had one 1407 son I used last year....Heifers calves were all up and sucking when I found them- the way they should be...........

Oldtimer":3nrscz30 said:
Frankie":3nrscz30 said:
Australian Cattleman":3nrscz30 said:

Colin

Frankie- I have been using some halfbrother bulls- sons of 878 (MGS- Homestead Blockbuster) on both heifers and cows and haven't had a problem one- also had one 1407 son I used last year....Heifers calves were all up and sucking when I found them- the way they should be...........

I think you like those Angus cattle, too, Oldtimer. :D A fellow in Texas told me they had a real wreck using 036 on some Braunvieh heifers, so I know he's not magic. But we never found another bull with the combination of calving ease, growth, gain, and carcass qualities that 036 gave us. We've got a nice 036 bull calf out of a Krugerrand/EXT heifer from last fall that's looking pretty good. IMO, the jury is still out on 878. We haven't used 1407, but he's been used a ton here in OK and cattlemen seem to like them.