ammonia sulfate vs. ammonia nitrate

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
I'm having problems getting ammonia nitrate. My local distributor can't get it any longer. He is trying to turn me on to ammonia sulfate instead. I don't know anyone who has used sulfate or if there are potential problems with it.

Any ideas?

J Baxter

Fertilizers: N (Nitrogen) - P (Phosphorus) - K (Potassium). The number shown on the N-P-K analysis represents the % of that element in the package (or per 100# of weight).

Now: Ammonium Nitrate is 33-0-0; Ammonium Sulfate is 21-0-0. Ammonium Sulfate has a little Sulphur in it which helps to counteract excess alkalinity in soil, beit very slow acting.

You would use about 33% more AS over the AN forumlation to be about equal.

One issue with Ammonium Nitrate is that in late spring and early summer lot of Ag fertilizing going on which may account for any "shortage." Additionally Ammonium Nitrate is used in manuf. of dynamite and nitroglycerine. It is also a favorite with terrorists who assemble car/truck bombs along with diesel fuel. Something to think about! It may also be an issue of WHO is an appropriate person to sell Ammonium Nitrate to....

Apparently the company my dealer works for decided not to carry nitrate because of the potential liability associated with making these bombs. Is the sulfur anything to be concerned with? I have cattle grazing on this pasture.

If your looking for a nitrogen fix, urea is 46-0-0. I use it to yield 60 lbs N per/acre in the spring. It is a cheaper source of N but a little riskier. It's a bit volatile, so rain is necessary within a few days of putting it out. Check grazing restrictions for post application.

Now: Ammonium Nitrate is 33-0-0; Ammonium Sulfate is 21-0-0. Ammonium Sulfate has a little Sulphur in it which helps to counteract excess alkalinity in soil, beit very slow acting.

Actually, Ammonium Sulfate has more than "a little" sulphur. It would be written on the label as 21-0-0-24.

Sulfur a big problem down here. Our soil is naturally acidic. For bahia pastures the acid is OK, but if we want legumes and high protein forages they require about 6-7 ph. Normal ph in my area is 5-5.5, so dolomite or lime is necessary for those crops. Sulfur would compound the problem.

Latest posts