ammonia smell in a protein lick tub?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I noticed the other day the one tub I tried smells like ammonia. Lost the tag and don't remember what brand it is.
What's the smell from and is it harmful?
Supposed to be there or did the cows pizz in it?

greybeard":1a08m2zt said:
I noticed the other day the one tub I tried smells like ammonia. Lost the tag and don't remember what brand it is.

Probably just the funky smell of molasses once it's mixed with all the other ingredients but could also be an indication of the inclusion of urea in the formula.

greybeard":l1cbopdh said:

My friend - if you have decent hay, free choice mineral and water available for your cattle this tub is a waste of dollars.

Stop buying them and put the cash towards something for yourself

If you really want to feel good you can throw each cow a pound or two of grain now and then - but it is not truly required - the money you have left over will still buy you a decent bottle of your favourite and the wife will never notice the money spent.

My best

Bez

:D

A waste fer sure--they've hardly even looked at it, much less licked on it and it's been out there for over a month. Thought I'd try one--just to see what all the hoopla was.

greybeard":2muwpk0q said:

A waste fer sure--they've hardly even looked at it, much less licked on it and it's been out there for over a month. Thought I'd try one--just to see what all the hoopla was.

Talk about a fool and his money parting that is what a lick tub is good for.
You pay 700 dollar's a ton for nothing, the same 700 dollars would have bought 14 rolls of quality hay equaling 7 ton's.
Again the same 700 dollars spent this spring on pasture would produce even more tonnage of quality feed over several acres depending on your grass.

Jogeephus":qkajfhs0 said:
Yeah, don't lick the wheel on a mollasses tank else you might get quite the surprise.

Dang sure don't taste as good as it usually smells.....even if you've got a biscuit to go with it. :shock:

Caustic Burno":953t7swf said:
greybeard":953t7swf said:

Talk about a fool and his money parting that is what a lick tub is good for.
You pay 700 dollar's a ton for nothing, the same 700 dollars would have bought 14 rolls of quality hay equaling 7 ton's.
Again the same 700 dollars spent this spring on pasture would produce even more tonnage of quality feed over several acres depending on your grass.
I bought one 200 lb tub--not 10. $70-not $700.
Wished I had logged on early this morning and saw this to start the day with --it's always such a joy to read your glowing, cheery, and upbeat analysis of things CB.
It's a Tough room to work here at CT, where ya get hard, straight answers and commentary----that's why I stay and the way I like it.

Anytime GB just call em like I see em.
Like it the same way back can't stand a fellow stradlin the fence get on one side or the other.
Stand for something.

Now GB you only paid a 70 dollar stupid tax don't feel bad as we all pay stupid taxes from time to time.
That should brighten your day.

Latest posts