Ammo shortage again

Help Support CattleToday:

If you are talking about Mourning Doves, there have been fewer and fewer here in Western Montana the last 5 or 6 years and not many young ones. The Eurasian Collared Doves seem to be increasing though. It might be a good idea to shoot the collared doves and leave the Mourning Doves.

A few years ago on the field after we would chop sileage the doves would come in droves. I don't see many anymore. My dad would let two guys from the next county up pop around free a day every year in the field. One year they brought their 7 buddies and helped their self in. They were all shown the gate and none of them to return. Give and inch and some people will take a mile. Seems this year a lot of bird populations are off in numbers.

Walmart actually had shotgun ammo when I went through today.
Dove season opens Wednesday and for some odd reason very few birds .
Need a front to push some in, there are not many in my haygrazer field.
My parents were in town last week and saw some federal shells but they were $10 a box. I got 1 case of 8s. Yesterday they were there again and academy had the remington sure shots for $9 so I got another case of 8s. I have a couple cases at the house still but I dont want to get low. With my 15 yr old son if we get birds he will go through some shells.

Academy had probably 30 or 40 cases according to my dad and they were limiting it to one case per person.

Thank you. I can't get anybody concerned... newest thing people here is "I don't watch the news it's all fake" I'm like I don't watch it I read it. They don't want to know. They still all believe Biden is great cause they are getting checks. 🤦🏽‍♀️ I've tried to explain child credit check are their tax money they won't get tax time. They act like I'm stupid. Some people going to be mad as heck when they don't get their big income checks they expect cause they don't understand they are getting with the child credit monthly.
Scary when one these foreign people run for president. People will be like with Biden think it's wonderful. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be racist. I don't believe someone that just came in the country should be president.
Nor do I believe we should have open boarders when people here are homeless and don't have jobs already. It's going to lead to huge problems. We have people panhandling sleeping in the streets.
I agree pretty much with you but just can't go along with your views on Chevrolets

I agree pretty much with you but just can't go along with your views on Chevrolets

😍 And that is okay, I'm fine with that. It's one of the great things about living in America...for now anyways. You are free to choose what you want to drive, what you choose works for you, and a what you can afford. I'm not mad, I'll sure joke about not liking Fords. Really if that's what you like just drive it and be happy. 😊 I'm no hater. I'm happy for others.

A few years ago on the field after we would chop sileage the doves would come in droves. I don't see many anymore. My dad would let two guys from the next county up pop around free a day every year in the field. One year they brought their 7 buddies and helped their self in. They were all shown the gate and none of them to return. Give and inch and some people will take a mile. Seems this year a lot of bird populations are off in numbers.
You got that correct. I couldn't find a single bluebird anywhere around our place this year. I still haven't seen one, not even migrating bluebirds. There were very few swallows and swifts also. They eat a lot of flying insects, so are good to have around.

No shortage of swallows here but we did have fewer bluebirds this summer. Very few cardinals. I think that late winter real hard freeze adversely affected a lot of animal and plant life here in East Texas. Very little road kill this summer, and we usually have loads of suicidal possum and coons.

Seems this year a lot of bird populations are off in numbers.
Late freeze and a 50 year drought will do that. Good news is we won't need many shotgun shells... I am stocking up on broad heads.

Dakotas are trying really hard to lure out of state hunters back, increasing marketing slogans instead of bird habitat.

Starting to see some stuff coming back that I haven't seen in over a year. Bass pro has 30-30 Saturday and Scheels had Remington cor-lok 30.06. Nice to see those green & yellow boxes back on the shelf.

A comical (sort of) story regarding ammo. The young couple nearest me has been living there now for a year. Neither has any firearm experience and they own no firearm..nothing at all, for home defense. I had the husband over a few months ago to shoot my rifles and shotguns, taught him the basics of safety and how to sight. He enjoyed the .22 and the shotguns, the .270 and sks not so much. I lent him the old Remington nylon66 .22 and the mossberg 20ga for a couple of days so his wife could try each out and they settled on buying a shotgun.

Last weekend, he and his cousin walked down to the house, bringing a Chinese pos pellet gun that had a pellet jammed in the bore (2 actually) and once I cleared those out, he asked if he could buy a box of.22 rounds to shoot in a rifle his cousin had brought along to do some plinking and target shooting.. I went and got him a box of .22lr, and then asked if he was sure it wasn't a rifle that would take only .22 shorts and he had no idea so cousin walked back to the house and came bringing a lever action rifle and he wasn't being really careful with it as far as dinging it around. . It was his father's, that an old friend had gifted to his dad upon the friend's death.

I picked it up, looked it over for a second and then quickly set it back down ..gently. Wiped my oily hands off before I picked it up again.

It was a Henry silver eagle in impeccable condition. Not a scratch or mar on it. They had no idea the value of the rifle, or 'who/what ' a Henry rifle was.
Had to explain to them that this wasn't the original Henry but still not the kind of rifle one uses to plink and knock around with and besides, it was a .22 mag and he couldn't use the .22lr ammo in it. He dropped his jaw when I told him he could have bought dozen of my rifle back in the day for what the henry cost.
After they left, I wondered, if 'dad' knew the youngun had his rifle out to do some plinkin with.

A comical (sort of) story regarding ammo. The young couple nearest me has been living there now for a year. Neither has any firearm experience and they own no firearm..nothing at all, for home defense. I had the husband over a few months ago to shoot my rifles and shotguns, taught him the basics of safety and how to sight. He enjoyed the .22 and the shotguns, the .270 and sks not so much. I lent him the old Remington nylon66 .22 and the mossberg 20ga for a couple of days so his wife could try each out and they settled on buying a shotgun.

Last weekend, he and his cousin walked down to the house, bringing a Chinese pos pellet gun that had a pellet jammed in the bore (2 actually) and once I cleared those out, he asked if he could buy a box of.22 rounds to shoot in a rifle his cousin had brought along to do some plinking and target shooting.. I went and got him a box of .22lr, and then asked if he was sure it wasn't a rifle that would take only .22 shorts and he had no idea so cousin walked back to the house and came bringing a lever action rifle and he wasn't being really careful with it as far as dinging it around. . It was his father's, that an old friend had gifted to his dad upon the friend's death.

I picked it up, looked it over for a second and then quickly set it back down ..gently. Wiped my oily hands off before I picked it up again.

It was a Henry silver eagle in impeccable condition. Not a scratch or mar on it. They had no idea the value of the rifle, or 'who/what ' a Henry rifle was.
Had to explain to them that this wasn't the original Henry but still not the kind of rifle one uses to plink and knock around with and besides, it was a .22 mag and he couldn't use the .22lr ammo in it. He dropped his jaw when I told him he could have bought dozen of my rifle back in the day for what the henry cost.
After they left, I wondered, if 'dad' knew the youngun had his rifle out to do some plinkin with.
Looks like they are $750-$850 new. Ya nice gun but not a plinkin gun

I haven't been able to find .204 ruger ammo that I shoot for at least a year. Beautiful rifle and love the caliber but one of those deals where I wish I had gotten a more common cartridge (.223).

You'd think that if you kept importing ammo from russia, it could cause a shortage in russia, no?

Around here they pulled russian vodka off the shelves... that they already paid for obviously.. like that's going to help!
1646858359515.png

Latest posts