Ammo shortage again

Help Support CattleToday:

J Hoy

Reaction score
If you are talking about Mourning Doves, there have been fewer and fewer here in Western Montana the last 5 or 6 years and not many young ones. The Eurasian Collared Doves seem to be increasing though. It might be a good idea to shoot the collared doves and leave the Mourning Doves.

jltrent

Reaction score
A few years ago on the field after we would chop sileage the doves would come in droves. I don't see many anymore. My dad would let two guys from the next county up pop around free a day every year in the field. One year they brought their 7 buddies and helped their self in. They were all shown the gate and none of them to return. Give and inch and some people will take a mile. Seems this year a lot of bird populations are off in numbers.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Walmart actually had shotgun ammo when I went through today.
Dove season opens Wednesday and for some odd reason very few birds .
Need a front to push some in, there are not many in my haygrazer field.
My parents were in town last week and saw some federal shells but they were $10 a box. I got 1 case of 8s. Yesterday they were there again and academy had the remington sure shots for $9 so I got another case of 8s. I have a couple cases at the house still but I dont want to get low. With my 15 yr old son if we get birds he will go through some shells.

Academy had probably 30 or 40 cases according to my dad and they were limiting it to one case per person.

klm3030

Reaction score
Thank you. I can't get anybody concerned... newest thing people here is "I don't watch the news it's all fake" I'm like I don't watch it I read it. They don't want to know. They still all believe Biden is great cause they are getting checks. 🤦🏽‍♀️ I've tried to explain child credit check are their tax money they won't get tax time. They act like I'm stupid. Some people going to be mad as heck when they don't get their big income checks they expect cause they don't understand they are getting with the child credit monthly.
Scary when one these foreign people run for president. People will be like with Biden think it's wonderful. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be racist. I don't believe someone that just came in the country should be president.
Nor do I believe we should have open boarders when people here are homeless and don't have jobs already. It's going to lead to huge problems. We have people panhandling sleeping in the streets.
I agree pretty much with you but just can't go along with your views on Chevrolets

FarmerShell

Reaction score
I agree pretty much with you but just can't go along with your views on Chevrolets

😍 And that is okay, I'm fine with that. It's one of the great things about living in America...for now anyways. You are free to choose what you want to drive, what you choose works for you, and a what you can afford. I'm not mad, I'll sure joke about not liking Fords. Really if that's what you like just drive it and be happy. 😊 I'm no hater. I'm happy for others.

J Hoy

Reaction score
A few years ago on the field after we would chop sileage the doves would come in droves. I don't see many anymore. My dad would let two guys from the next county up pop around free a day every year in the field. One year they brought their 7 buddies and helped their self in. They were all shown the gate and none of them to return. Give and inch and some people will take a mile. Seems this year a lot of bird populations are off in numbers.
You got that correct. I couldn't find a single bluebird anywhere around our place this year. I still haven't seen one, not even migrating bluebirds. There were very few swallows and swifts also. They eat a lot of flying insects, so are good to have around.

greybeard

Reaction score
No shortage of swallows here but we did have fewer bluebirds this summer. Very few cardinals. I think that late winter real hard freeze adversely affected a lot of animal and plant life here in East Texas. Very little road kill this summer, and we usually have loads of suicidal possum and coons.

gitnby

Reaction score
we had plenty bluebirds here....they been poopin on everything with a mirror all summer

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Seems this year a lot of bird populations are off in numbers.
Late freeze and a 50 year drought will do that. Good news is we won't need many shotgun shells... I am stocking up on broad heads.

Dakotas are trying really hard to lure out of state hunters back, increasing marketing slogans instead of bird habitat.