American Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

Oddly enough, the most "American" tractor you can buy is a Versatile. Assembled in Canada, using many, many US cast/built parts. But owned by the Russians.

In this multi-national world, you can forget about trying to find "Made in the US" ag equipment. The big ones AgCo, Case-IH and JD are simply not using much in the way of US grown parts. AgCo still has an assembly plant in the US making small tractors. Of the big three, AgCo probably uses the most US made parts, but even then, its a low percentage. JD has one or two plants assembling largely Indian and Chinese parted tractors. Case/NH has a US side plant, but I'm not sure what they're assembling these days. They're also using a healthy chunk of Indian/Chinese parts.

On the haying side though, Hesston is probably the most home-grown of all the manufacturers with a fair bit of US foundry steel in them. JD and Case/NH balers/mowing equipment are built overseas. Or at least were as of two years ago.

Rod

I think it would be great if everything were made in the US. It upsets me that so many pieces come from overseas. However, one must consider why so much has been moved outside the US borders. The biggest reason, as far as I am aware, is the cost of production. Americans want top notch pay. We can produce things far cheaper internationally than if everything were built domestically. In the end, I think I would rather have cheaper goods.

So many green, red, orange and blue tractors are made out of country that one never knows anymore.

India and France are two of the largest JD manufacturers - I am not sure about the others

Engines and gear boxes and Hyd pumps are often made there as well - often making that Deere, Case and Ford a truly international machine.

In fact I could be very wrong - but I do not believe there is one tractor made from start to finsish in the US of A

Where it is made is no longer an issue when it comes to quality in my mind - and most of us would never be able to afford a completely North American built tractor of more than 100 HP

Employment wise is an entirely different matter - but try to get someone to do the manufacturing job at 8 bucks an hour - never happen and none of us want to pay much more when we hire people either

As previously stated - the Versatile is likely the highest North American content - and I did NOT know it was foreign owned

Basically ll the other majors have contracted out to the world

All one has to do is a search on tractor manufacturers and their plant locations - it will be an eye opener.

Regards

Bez+

On the haying side though, Hesston is probably the most home-grown of all the manufacturers with a fair bit of US foundry steel in them. JD and Case/NH balers/mowing equipment are built overseas. Or at least were as of two years ago.

Rod[/quote]

Nope. JD balers have always been made in Ottumwa, Iowa. JD mowers are made by Kuhn thus made in France.

Brute 23":1k5sg4is said:
The old NH place told me that John Deere was in talks to buy out NH and Massy Ferg.

<chuckle> I don't think so. AgCo is the world's largest farm equipment manufacturer/distributor, and Massey is its flagship line. Case/NH is the world's second largest equipment manufacturer. If anyone was buying anyone, it would be AgCo or Case/NH buying JD.

JD might be big news in North America (somewhere around 50% market share), but worldwide, they're pretty small potatoes. Take Rostelmash, a name virtually unknown in North America, but 1 in every 5 combines worldwide is a Rostelmash and their parent company just bought Versatile "because they needed a tractor in the line-up". They're now selling 375HP Ag tractors for $150,000 Cdn, which is around $50-75,000 less than anything Green, Case Red or NH Blue. With the current development in Mongolia and other overseas areas, I think we'll see a radically different farm machinery landscape in 30 years. Case/NH is now owned by a Dutch company. AgCo and JD are both still US companies, but most of their equipment comes from France, Italy, Germany and India and Agco does most of its business in Brazil, so its only a matter of time until they're sold off.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":9w1duvj0 said:
Brute 23":9w1duvj0 said:
The old NH place told me that John Deere was in talks to buy out NH and Massy Ferg.

<chuckle> I don't think so. AgCo is the world's largest farm equipment manufacturer/distributor, and Massey is its flagship line. Case/NH is the world's second largest equipment manufacturer. If anyone was buying anyone, it would be AgCo or Case/NH buying JD.

JD might be big news in North America (somewhere around 50% market share), but worldwide, they're pretty small potatoes. Take Rostelmash, a name virtually unknown in North America, but 1 in every 5 combines worldwide is a Rostelmash and their parent company just bought Versatile "because they needed a tractor in the line-up". They're now selling 375HP Ag tractors for $150,000 Cdn, which is around $50-75,000 less than anything Green, Case Red or NH Blue. With the current development in Mongolia and other overseas areas, I think we'll see a radically different farm machinery landscape in 30 years. Case/NH is now owned by a Dutch company. AgCo and JD are both still US companies, but most of their equipment comes from France, Italy, Germany and India and Agco does most of its business in Brazil, so its only a matter of time until they're sold off.

Rod

Fiat Group owns CNH Global (which includes Case Construction, Case IH, Flexi-Coil, Kobelco, New Holland, New Holland Construction, and Steyr); and Fiat-Hitachi Construction. CNH is the second largest agricultural equipment manufacturer in the world after Deere & Company. It is also the third largest producer of construction equipment after Caterpillar Inc. and Komatsu. CNH accounts for around 20% of revenues.[7]

Ken, your numbers are dated or you are using something other than raw sales numbers (perhaps your numbers are gross profit?). Agco is currently the largest and has been for at least two years straight. I could be wrong about JD being behind CNH, but I don't think so. My numbers come from last years farm dealer Expo.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1irl1kha said:
Ken, your numbers are dated or you are using something other than raw sales numbers (perhaps your numbers are gross profit?). Agco is currently the largest and has been for at least two years straight. I could be wrong about JD being behind CNH, but I don't think so. My numbers come from last years farm dealer Expo.

Rod

I spent several minutes with Google and could not come up with a ranking of tractor manufacturers. If anyone has a link, I'd be interested.
Total sales. Unit sales. That sort of stuff.

DiamondSCattleCo":2i945jus said:

Rod
Rod
the way it was explained to me is AGCO is the largest when you consider all of their brands combined but JD is the largest single brand

Angus Cowman":1kda9rvg said:
the way it was explained to me is AGCO is the largest when you consider all of their brands combined but JD is the largest single brand

Oh definitely Angus. But the original statement that prompted my response was that JD was going to buy Massey, and quite frankly, JD just doesn't have the resources to even remotely think about it as the Massey name is AgCo's biggest seller, as such, JD would in effect be buying AgCo.

Edit: Or at least buying most of AgCo's brand recognition. They'd be nuts to sell.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":19my1v4t said:
Angus Cowman":19my1v4t said:

Oh definitely Angus. But the original statement that prompted my response was that JD was going to buy Massey, and quite frankly, JD just doesn't have the resources to even remotely think about it as the Massey name is AgCo's biggest seller, as such, JD would in effect be buying AgCo.

Edit: Or at least buying most of AgCo's brand recognition. They'd be nuts to sell.

Rod
I agree with you Rod
I don't foresee it happening just like CNH selling off NH it isn't likely to happen

Latest posts