America has CAB, Canada has...???

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":1z5bl5ru said:
But the right Angus genetics can help improve marbling in the product.

At the low percentage in a registered black Lim?

Wewild":1fl9kp4z said:
Frankie":1fl9kp4z said:

I don't know what percentage Limi can be registered. Some Angus are very high marbling and could IMPROVE marbling, but not necessarily produce a high quality cut of beef.

Frankie":3tpplcd3 said:
Wewild":3tpplcd3 said:
Frankie":3tpplcd3 said:

I don't know what percentage Limi can be registered. Some Angus are very high marbling and could IMPROVE marbling, but not necessarily produce a high quality cut of beef.

Let's say it's 93% for the purebreds. ????

Likewise, the right Char, Hereford, or any other breeds genetics can help improve marbling too.

Oh yes, we have purebred Char cattle that grade "Prime".

Sure hope there's not a "Cholesteral" backlash when we get all this marbling in cattle. :lol:

Wewild":3sa9hjcl said:
Frankie":3sa9hjcl said:
Wewild":3sa9hjcl said:
Frankie":3sa9hjcl said:

Let's say it's 93% for the purebreds. ????

Let's say paying attention to marbling in any breed will help improve marbling in your end product. While the Angus breed is known for marbling, they doen't have the highest marbling of any breed. But if you select an Angus bull for positive marbling by using the IMF EPD, along with the other EPDs, you will get cattle that have marbling. How much marbling will depend on the makeup of the cows you're breeding him to. Angus aren't magic. If you crossbreed with an animal that doesn't have marbling, you're not going to get much marbling, no matter what the Angus bull carries. But you will likely get more marbling than if you bred the same cows to a bull with a negative EPD for IMF. Since we don't know the makeup of your black Limi bull, no one can say whether he'll produce high quality beef of not. Ultrasounding him MIGHT help. Just being black doesn't mean much, except he might bring more money at the sale ring because of CAB.

If only 1 out 7 of angus cattle will hit the CAB target, the Lims might be better off without the angus influence. :lol:

MikeC":3mlbe3kw said:
If only 1 out 7 of angus cattle will hit the CAB target, the Lims might be better off without the angus influence. :lol:

Angus cattle hit the CAB target at a higher rate than that. Some producers hit it at 50%. GENERIC black cattle don't do as well.

If the Limi didn't have Angus infuence it would be red and not eligible for CAB anyway.

You're pitiful, Mike. Apparently you find anything good to say about your own breed of cattle. That's pretty sad.

Frankie":2gck82fk said:
MikeC":2gck82fk said:

Angus cattle hit the CAB target at a higher rate than that. Some producers hit it at 50%. GENERIC black cattle don't do as well.

If the Limi didn't have Angus infuence it would be red and not eligible for CAB anyway.

You're pitiful, Mike. Apparently you find anything good to say about your own breed of cattle. That's pretty sad.

I could have sworn that one of the latest CAB reports showed that only 14% of angus influence cattle out of the 13.1 million indentified hit the CAB target.

Or are you gonna tell me that they "identified" angus cattle that weren't really angus? :lol: :lol:

Have a Merry Christmas, "Sweetie"! :heart:

Oh, another little tidbit:

Implications

Utilization of Charolais sires was effective in increasing feedlot performance but there was no significant leanness advantage for carcasses of Charolais sired cattle nor was there any significant carcass quality advantage for Angus-sired cattle in the present trial. Although early weaning would be effective in allowing cows the opportunity to increase their body condition, decrease their maintenance costs, and improve feed efficiency of their calves, carcass advantages associated with early weaning were not realized in the present experiment.

Literature Cited

Arthington, and Kalmbacher. 2003. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1136-1141.

Fluharty et al. 2000. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1759-1767.

McBeth et al. 2002. Okla. Agr. Exp. Sta. Res. Rep. P-993:22.

Myers, et al. 1999. J. Anim. Sci. 77:300-310.

Schoonmaker et al. 2001. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1074-1084.

Schoonmaker et al. 2002. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2247-2254.

Schoonmaker et al. 2003. J. Anim. Sci. 81:843-855.

Story et al. 2000. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1403-1413.

Copyright 2004 Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station

Authors

McBeth, L.J. – Graduate Student

Looper, M.L. – Dale Bumpers Small Farms Research Center

Krehbiel, C.R. – Assistant Professor

Step, D.L. – Assistant Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine

Ball, R.L. – Herd Manager

MikeC":muor0v7u said:
Frankie":muor0v7u said:
MikeC":muor0v7u said:

I could have sworn that one of the latest CAB reports showed that only 14% of angus influence cattle out of the 13.1 million indentified hit the CAB target.

Or are you gonna tell me that they "identified" angus cattle that weren't really angus? :lol: :lol:

You're exactly right 14% of ANGUS INFLUENCED CATTLE, not Angus cattle. Apparently a black limi bull can only have 7% Angus (or other breed) blood to be registerable. That's why I say Angus aren't magic. ANGUS cattle (from retained ownership programs, steer feedout programs, etc) hit the CAB target at a much higher rate. That's one reason I think one day all CAB will come from AngusSource tagged calves. There has to be some expense involved in running generic black cattle that won't hit the target down a CAB grading line. The AngusSource program is growing. Right now they're concentrating on the CAB Natural line, but we'll get there. :)

You can snipe and nit pick all day, but the demand for high quality beef is growning. A good Angus bull with the ability to pass on marbling is pretty valuable today. Keep some of his heifers and breed them to another Angus bull with marbling. Heck, first thing you know, you'll have a herd that can hit the CAB market reguarly. If that's the market you want to hit, of course.

Or a producer can select a breed with a lot of baggage: hard calving, low fertility, size, lack of marbling. Being different is more important to some people than being profitable.

MikeC":17d39drk said:
Frankie":17d39drk said:
MikeC":17d39drk said:

Oh, another little tidbit:

Implications

Utilization of Charolais sires was effective in increasing feedlot performance but there was no significant leanness advantage for carcasses of Charolais sired cattle nor was there any significant carcass quality advantage for Angus-sired cattle in the present trial. Although early weaning would be effective in allowing cows the opportunity to increase their body condition, decrease their maintenance costs, and improve feed efficiency of their calves, carcass advantages associated with early weaning were not realized in the present experiment.

Literature Cited

Arthington, and Kalmbacher. 2003. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1136-1141.

Fluharty et al. 2000. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1759-1767.

McBeth et al. 2002. Okla. Agr. Exp. Sta. Res. Rep. P-993:22.

Myers, et al. 1999. J. Anim. Sci. 77:300-310.

Schoonmaker et al. 2001. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1074-1084.

Schoonmaker et al. 2002. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2247-2254.

Schoonmaker et al. 2003. J. Anim. Sci. 81:843-855.

Story et al. 2000. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1403-1413.

Copyright 2004 Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station

Authors

McBeth, L.J. – Graduate Student

Looper, M.L. – Dale Bumpers Small Farms Research Center

Krehbiel, C.R. – Assistant Professor

Step, D.L. – Assistant Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine

Ball, R.L. – Herd Manager

Got a link? I've always said Angus aren't magic. There are Angus bulls that aren't especially high marbling bulls. Note that your article (without a link of course) says "nor was there any significant carcass quality advantage for Angus-sired cattle in the present trial." Maybe previous trials have shown there to be Angus advantage? Let's see the link.

Don't want to miss this either:

"there was no significant leanness advantage for carcasses of Charolais sired cattle....."

I didn't miss a thing.

From the same study:

Story In Brief

Our objective was to evaluate the effects of Charolais vs Angus sires and the effects of early weaning using a forage-based growing system on subsequent feedlot performance and carcass characteristics. Utilization of Charolais sires was effective in improving live weight, carcass weight, average daily gain and feed efficiency of heifers vs heifers sired by Angus sires.

MikeC":34o13dtw said:
I didn't miss a thing.

From the same study:

Story In Brief

Our objective was to evaluate the effects of Charolais vs Angus sires and the effects of early weaning using a forage-based growing system on subsequent feedlot performance and carcass characteristics. Utilization of Charolais sires was effective in improving live weight, carcass weight, average daily gain and feed efficiency of heifers vs heifers sired by Angus sires.

And still no link. I think you're just making thngs up, Mike. :shock:

Frankie":38jzevpx said:
MikeC":38jzevpx said:
I didn't miss a thing.

From the same study:

Story In Brief

And still no link. I think you're just making thngs up, Mike. :shock:

Not a chance.

MikeC":7eitvw4a said:
Frankie":7eitvw4a said:
MikeC":7eitvw4a said:
I didn't miss a thing.

From the same study:

Story In Brief

And still no link. I think you're just making things up, Mike. :shock:

Not a chance.

So why no link? Could this be some Charolais propaganda from the breed association? :eek: Note that it doesn't say utilizing a Charolais sire improved YIELD grades or quality grades over the Angus sired calves. Hmmmm. All that blustering you've been doing about little Angus ribeyes doesn't seem to have been verified in this study, does it? I'll argue all day long about feed efficiency and ADG. We can use the Auburn bull test in that discussion. Angus will hold their own with any breed in that category, plus offer calving ease and fertility. :D

More:

"Upon arrival at the feedlot steers were heavier (P<.05) than heifers while Charolais heifers were heavier (P<.05) than Angus heifers (Table 1). These effects for body weight were maintained throughout the finishing period and were also present for hot carcass weight at harvest. Steers and Charolais-sired cattle had greater (P<.05) daily gains than Angus-sired heifers throughout the finishing period."

;-)

MikeC":6zdb9xry said:
More:

"Upon arrival at the feedlot steers were heavier (P<.05) than heifers while Charolais heifers were heavier (P<.05) than Angus heifers (Table 1). These effects for body weight were maintained throughout the finishing period and were also present for hot carcass weight at harvest. Steers and Charolais-sired cattle had greater (P<.05) daily gains than Angus-sired heifers throughout the finishing period."

;-)

Let's let everyone read it. They can make their own decisions about the advantages or disadvantages of either breed.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/2004rr/09/09.htm

Frankie":15alfr7w said:
So why no link? Could this be some Charolais propaganda from the breed association? :eek: Note that it doesn't say utilizing a Charolais sire improved YIELD grades or quality grades over the Angus sired calves. Hmmmm. All that blustering you've been doing about little Angus ribeyes doesn't seem to have been verified in this study, does it? I'll argue all day long about feed efficiency and ADG. We can use the Auburn bull test in that discussion. Angus will hold their own with any breed in that category, plus offer calving ease and fertility. :D

Black, black, lack, lack, ack, ack,..... yak , yak, yak! :p :lol2: :nod:

Merry Christmas Frankie! ;-)

1848":34x72zog said:
Frankie":34x72zog said:

Black, black, lack, lack, ack, ack,..... yak , yak, yak! :p :lol2: :nod:

Merry Christmas Frankie! ;-)

I think you're confused. Charolais are white. This is Mike's discussion. I'm only defending my breed. Merry Christmas to you, too.