Ambulance chasers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
1
Location
South Georgia
The ads in the media selling legal services seems to be getting more frequent. I really don't know what the answer is but it seems everyone is looking for a check.

Just a few weeks ago my wife, who is a nurse, told me about a lawsuit they just got served with concerning the wrongful death of one of their patients. The ironic thing about this is one of the CNA's caught wind of the lawsuit and informed them that this was her uncle and he wasn't dead but was living in Florida. The facility's attorneys checked in on this and found it to be true and questioned the law firm doing the suing how they proposed to sue them if they didn't possess a death certificate.

This firm is going back to the drawing board and have requested all the patient's records because they intend to sue but they just don't know what for just yet. My wife should know what they are suing for in a few months but in the mean time she had to spend her time making copies of the records rather than doing her job. Is this insane or what?
 

snoopdog

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2017
Messages
1,810
Reaction score
166
Location
ne oklahoma
Yeah , it's disturbing , I think I read somewhere that the average payout for a cmv accident was 100k, even if the cmv is not at fault . Cheaper to pay than a court battle . It seems as if right and wrong is unimportant.
 

Craig Miller

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
2,241
Reaction score
8
Location
Nw Alabama
Our company was sued 2 years ago because some people claimed they were owed overtime on their bonus checks....they lost. Also were sued at the same time by some of our salaried employees claiming they worked more hours than what that got paid for....they also lost. No telling how much the company spent in lawyer fees to fight them
 

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
8
Location
Kentucky
I get 3 TV channels out of Lexington. About 50% of the advertising is law firms that specialize in some form of tort law.

For example: if you used XYZ herbicide and you are ill, please call us.

Or if you were in an accident and you have neck or back pain, please call us.

It goes on and on. Everything from malpractice to anything that happened during employment. In Eastern Kentucky several law firms made a lot of people rich suing for blacklung disease. None of this is new, being going on for years. The difference is - they dominant the advertising.
 

D2Cat

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 12, 2012
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
1,504
Location
50 miles south of Kansas City
A lawsuit is indirectly the reason I came to this forum!

I have 50 acre farm and bought it to get away and take our horses there to ride. Neighboring farmer wanted to rent the grass for some calves, so I agreed. Then he put 2000 bales of wheat straw in the barn because he had a contract with the KC zoo, which was not agreed to. The second year, in the fall, I was off loading a manure spreader from a trailer with mounted ramps.

He was there giving range cubes to the calves and came over to see what I was doing. After some visiting I told him I needed no help, but he jumped up on the trailer and somehow the spreader wheel hit the ramp and the tongue came over and hit his ankle.

Long story short, he sued me. So I told him to get his property off of mine and decided owning some cattle would be cheaper than jacking with someone like that.

Turns out he and his brother farm several farms and had a party around Thanksgiving time and his injury became part of the BS discussion. One of the guys there was an attorney and his son was also an attorney and said he should sue, they would handle it.
 

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
8
Location
Kentucky
D2Cat":9pxwk75c said:
A lawsuit is indirectly the reason I came to this forum!

Liability insurance is your best friend if you got anything to lose!

People can be downright evil. I bought my farm when I was living in Montana in about 2004. I allowed the previous owner to continue to run cattle on it. There were some oral stipulations - never do that again, in this world a charitable act will result in being run over. To make a long story short, I fundamentally had to threaten to blow his head off before he would get his cows off my farm.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,558
Reaction score
375
Location
Central Texas
Ryder":2ajl0s2z said:
Sad to say this seems to be the American way.
Wouldn’t say it’s the American way.....but we have more people looking for a way to enrich themselves by any other means than work than ever....
 

jltrent

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
5,488
Reaction score
1,434
Location
Virginia
Lawyers need cases and some will take anything it seems. This is one of the big reasons robots, computers, technology, Mexicans etc. are taking a lot of jobs, as a lot less lawsuits.
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,916
Reaction score
31
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
Jogeephus":2xil8u5c said:
The ads in the media selling legal services seems to be getting more frequent. I really don't know what the answer is but it seems everyone is looking for a check.

Just a few weeks ago my wife, who is a nurse, told me about a lawsuit they just got served with concerning the wrongful death of one of their patients. The ironic thing about this is one of the CNA's caught wind of the lawsuit and informed them that this was her uncle and he wasn't dead but was living in Florida. The facility's attorneys checked in on this and found it to be true and questioned the law firm doing the suing how they proposed to sue them if they didn't possess a death certificate.

This firm is going back to the drawing board and have requested all the patient's records because they intend to sue but they just don't know what for just yet. My wife should know what they are suing for in a few months but in the mean time she had to spend her time making copies of the records rather than doing her job. Is this insane or what?
they'll figure out what to sue for pretty quick.. Just need a little time to get creative...
 

D2Cat

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 12, 2012
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
1,504
Location
50 miles south of Kansas City
Oh yes, we had insurance policies. But it aggravates me I have to go to depositions, etc and in the end the ins. co. pays off to eliminate the cost of trial. And he wasn't "really" hurt, it was just an opportunity for some easy money. And the fact I did not need his help and told him so several times made little difference, and he told me several times, "s-it happen, it's not your fault" ....he got hurt and I had to pay!

At the deposition in KC, with both attorneys there, I told his attorney he better have the straw out of my barn by (one week) or I would remove it. Made him aware it was not in our agreement and I was done with him using my barn as a "mouse house". His brother was there with his big JD with the square bale grapple and loaded it out in a few hours. He knew I would destroy it as I removed it, and it was too valuable to argue about for him.
 

Bestoutwest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2012
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
37
Location
Idaho
My favorite TV lawyer is the Binder & Binder the SS Disability advocate. I can't imagine how many of our tax dollars he's pulled in on bogus claims.
 

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
8
Location
Kentucky
D2Cat":20i1171w said:
Oh yes, we had insurance policies. But it aggravates me I have to go to depositions, etc and in the end the ins. co. pays off to eliminate the cost of trial. And he wasn't "really" hurt, it was just an opportunity for some easy money. And the fact I did not need his help and told him so several times made little difference, and he told me several times, "s-it happen, it's not your fault" ....he got hurt and I had to pay!

At the deposition in KC, with both attorneys there, I told his attorney he better have the straw out of my barn by (one week) or I would remove it. Made him aware it was not in our agreement and I was done with him using my barn as a "mouse house". His brother was there with his big JD with the square bale grapple and loaded it out in a few hours. He knew I would destroy it as I removed it, and it was too valuable to argue about for him.

Everyone should make sure their farm liability insurance is high enough that your insurance company is motivated to prevent a large pay-out. That is their incentive for fighting for your interests.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,832
Reaction score
350
Location
Heart of Texas
Got a nephew that's an ambulance chaser. Millionaire many times over but will never have enough. Has testimonials on his website....it's laughable. Has huge house, his own chapel on the grounds, an antique car collection and not 3 friends in the world but he's a liberal democrat so doesn't worry about morals, ethics are having friends.
 

TCRanch

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
5,952
Reaction score
1,977
Location
Winfield, KS
Bright Raven":17tm5fg1 said:
D2Cat":17tm5fg1 said:
Oh yes, we had insurance policies. But it aggravates me I have to go to depositions, etc and in the end the ins. co. pays off to eliminate the cost of trial. And he wasn't "really" hurt, it was just an opportunity for some easy money. And the fact I did not need his help and told him so several times made little difference, and he told me several times, "s-it happen, it's not your fault" ....he got hurt and I had to pay!

At the deposition in KC, with both attorneys there, I told his attorney he better have the straw out of my barn by (one week) or I would remove it. Made him aware it was not in our agreement and I was done with him using my barn as a "mouse house". His brother was there with his big JD with the square bale grapple and loaded it out in a few hours. He knew I would destroy it as I removed it, and it was too valuable to argue about for him.

Everyone should make sure their farm liability insurance is high enough that your insurance company is motivated to prevent a large pay-out. That is their incentive for fighting for your interests.


Precisely why we have a ridiculously huge umbrella. We were thiiiis close to getting sued by parents of a kid that was not only trespassing, but riding his 4 wheeler. He didn't see a barbed wire fence through the high grass and ended up breaking his shoulder. He's lucky he didn't lop off his head! We're also fortunate to have a no-nonsense Sherriff that told the parents to drop it.
 

slick4591

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
10,449
Reaction score
70
Location
Farmersville, Texas
Lawyers are an overpopulated species around here. Started happening back in the late 90's when we had a flood of them hanging up shingles. They were cut throat at first because lots were starving. Hundred dollar uncontested divorces, 100 dollar wills...etc. I heard more older lawyers cussing the young ones more back then than I ever had during that time. Each one wanted to establish a reputation and they'd cut the legs out from under anyone to get that done.
 

Dave

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
10,454
Reaction score
2,463
Location
Baker County, Oregon
Years ago I saw an article on the number of lawyers that the schools were pumping out each year. It compared lawyer numbers to doctors, engineers, etc. We simply don't need that many lawyers.
 

D2Cat

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 12, 2012
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
1,504
Location
50 miles south of Kansas City
What's interesting about insurance companies is, I had to meet in KC at their office and discuss the circumstances of the accident. They needed to know if the truck was hooked to the PU at the time? Was the PU at the farm? (I asked them if the hitch was disconnected, and the trailer jack was on the ground, which one would cover that? What if the trailer lights were still connected to the truck? It put them in a quandary)

I became aware the ins. co. actually was several companies. One covered the PU. one covered the farm, one covered our home, then there was an umbrella policy. They had to determine which one would cover the cost.

I was covered no matter what they decided, but they needed to know by whom!
 

pdfangus

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
4,818
Reaction score
14
Location
Beaverdam, virginia
Dave":3cqbazvd said:
Years ago I saw an article on the number of lawyers that the schools were pumping out each year. It compared lawyer numbers to doctors, engineers, etc. We simply don't need that many lawyers.

But if we limit the lawyers where on earth are we going to find qualified crooks to fill all the political positions in this country...
 

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
8
Location
Kentucky
pdfangus":52zk41mv said:
Dave":52zk41mv said:
Years ago I saw an article on the number of lawyers that the schools were pumping out each year. It compared lawyer numbers to doctors, engineers, etc. We simply don't need that many lawyers.

But if we limit the lawyers where on earth are we going to find qualified crooks to fill all the political positions in this country...

Having been a lawyer is a prerequisite for the professional politician. They promise you what ever they think you want to hear.
 

Latest posts

Top