Amazon narrows list.........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I'm thinking either GA, TN, OR NC because of the east central location, but it may boil down to who offers the most.

Amazon said Thursday it narrowed the list of potential cities for its second headquarters to 20 cities.

Amazon said it will spend $5 billion in the city where it builds its second headquarters, and will employ 50,000 there.

The cities are:

Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Columbus, OH
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Indianapolis, IN
Los Angeles, CA
Miami, FL
Montgomery County, MD
Nashville, TN
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
Northern Virginia, VA
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Raleigh, NC
Toronto, ON
Washington D.C.
The e-commerce giant received 238 proposals from cities in North America, many with lofty tax incentives and unique offers directed at CEO Jeff Bezos.

"Getting from 238 to 20 was very tough – all the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity," Holly Sullivan, an executive with Amazon Public Policy, said in a statement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... li=BBnb4R7

I'm betting on Nashville. It's liberal and only a couple hours from Memphis. Largest truck to rail hub around and FedEx hub at the airport.

Craig Miller":6nfnnp7t said:
I'm betting on Nashville. It's liberal and only a couple hours from Memphis. Largest truck to rail hub around and FedEx hub at the airport.

was going to write "no airline hub but didn't realize it was a Fedex hub.

shaz":244c4f43 said:
Craig Miller":244c4f43 said:

It doesn't matter. Their shipping facilities aren't associated with their headquarters. My bet is Boston. People can live in Maine or New Hampshire (cheaper housing) and take the train right into the city. Major airport, on the ocean. May be a bit too liberal with taxes being a bit too high, but you never know. It will be interesting if Toronto gets it. That'll be quite the blow to America, but of course, people won't stop shopping there. Got to have their low priced crap!

Bestoutwest":2zsjcvxc said:
shaz":2zsjcvxc said:
Craig Miller":2zsjcvxc said:

It doesn't matter. Their shipping facilities aren't associated with their headquarters. My bet is Boston. People can live in Maine or New Hampshire (cheaper housing) and take the train right into the city. Major airport, on the ocean. May be a bit too liberal with taxes being a bit too high, but you never know. It will be interesting if Toronto gets it. That'll be quite the blow to America, but of course, people won't stop shopping there. Got to have their low priced crap!

Electricity is really high and Logan was a pretty small airport last time I was there ...1998.

Hope it's not in Atlanta. Then I'd have to start paying sales tax on the stuff I get from them. I think it'll be in Philadelphia.

Craig Miller":3n51ftpr said:
Bestoutwest":3n51ftpr said:
people won't stop shopping there. Got to have their low priced crap!

Hey I represent that

I do all the time. There's no other place to buy books, movies, etc. It sucks, but they've put a lot of places out of business.

ga.prime":2x6iy3x7 said:
Hope it's not in Atlanta. Then I'd have to start paying sales tax on the stuff I get from them. I think it'll be in Philadelphia.

Time to put a 10% Federal surcharge tax on all Internet transactions as well as allowing states to collect taxes on all Internet sales within their borders. If Trump wants to stick it to his arch enemy Bezos this would do it.

TennesseeTuxedo":14t2uqyu said:
ga.prime":14t2uqyu said:

Time to put a 10% Federal surcharge tax on all Internet transactions as well as allowing states to collect taxes on all Internet sales within their borders. If Trump wants to stick it to his arch enemy Bezos this would do it.

You would make a phenomenal liberal Canadian. They love to tax the living shyt out of everything a person buys. Tax a tax upon a tax.

Aaron":29gqjxs6 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":29gqjxs6 said:
ga.prime":29gqjxs6 said:

You would make a phenomenal liberal Canadian. They love to tax the living shyt out of everything a person buys. Tax a tax upon a tax.

There was a time when the Internet was a fledgling enterprise that special consideration vis a vis preferential tax treatment was justifiable. That time has passed. There is no excuse for sales online to go untaxed when businesses in local communities are forced to collect them. I'm sorry you can't process that. Too much cold air perhaps.

TennesseeTuxedo":2vty52of said:
Aaron":2vty52of said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2vty52of said:

There was a time when the Internet was a fledgling enterprise that special consideration vis a vis preferential tax treatment was justifiable. That time has passed. There is no excuse for sales online to go untaxed when businesses in local communities are forced to collect them. I'm sorry you can't process that. Too much cold air perhaps.

Taxing online purchases is not going to save the mom and pop stores. They can't begin to compete on price even without tax. Brick and mortar stores will eventually all go away, big and small all require too much investment and upkeep.

I come from the school of thought that less tax is always better, not advocating for more of it.

Aaron":3e8jjdj8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3e8jjdj8 said:
Aaron":3e8jjdj8 said:

Taxing online purchases is not going to save the mom and pop stores. They can't begin to compete on price even without tax. Brick and mortar stores will eventually all go away, big and small all require too much investment and upkeep.

I come from the school of thought that less tax is always better, not advocating for more of it.

Time will tell but I think the future is going to be hybrid stores. Basically you can order online but there is store front to pick up, touch, feel, return, etc if need be. It will be like ordering take out pizza IMO.

It will be interesting to see.

I order quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. Avoiding sales tax has nothing to do with it. Not one thing I buy from Amazon can be bought locally and most of it I wouldn't even know where to find it if I had to. Maybe in a store 100 miles from here, maybe not. Just about anything you can think of can be found on Amazon and delivered to your back door in 2 days with no shipping charges and if it ships from anywhere other than Ga., there's no sales tax. I think it's great.

ga.prime":1k7k7hfs said:
I order quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. Avoiding sales tax has nothing to do with it. Not one thing I buy from Amazon can be bought locally and most of it I wouldn't even know where to find it if I had to. Maybe in a store 100 miles from here, maybe not. Just about anything you can think of can be found on Amazon and delivered to your back door in 2 days with no shipping charges and if it ships from anywhere other than Ga., there's no sales tax. I think it's great.
I do the same for the same reason

dun":7cbqhmlf said:
ga.prime":7cbqhmlf said:
I do the same for the same reason

I have used amazon for something's but typically they are priced higher than others places like parts but other things are cheaper like boots or some clothes. I do far more ordering online than I feel I should have to but the parts houses have to order what I need most of the time so I just cut out the middle man .

Aaron":28xprmgm said:
TennesseeTuxedo":28xprmgm said:
Aaron":28xprmgm said:

I agree, let's repeal all local sales taxes. Or....level the playing field and everybody pays the same tax.

ga.prime":28q8h4eu said:

I also agree with you but there should be sales tax collected and forwarded to the Georgia Dept of Revenue.

Latest posts