Amazon narrows list.........

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":3rv1fj0o said:
ga.prime":3rv1fj0o said:
I order quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. Avoiding sales tax has nothing to do with it. Not one thing I buy from Amazon can be bought locally and most of it I wouldn't even know where to find it if I had to. Maybe in a store 100 miles from here, maybe not. Just about anything you can think of can be found on Amazon and delivered to your back door in 2 days with no shipping charges and if it ships from anywhere other than Ga., there's no sales tax. I think it's great.

I also agree with you but there should be sales tax collected and forwarded to the Georgia Dept of Revenue.

I am taxed on all online purchases, it went through our state legislature. And I live in one of the reddest states in America! Taxes....they're coming for you, too! :lol2: I don't mind paying it, honestly, b/c the prices are still cheaper and it pays for essential services (what I tell myself so I can sleep at night). And it sure beats the taxation rate in Europe and Canada! :banana:

Bestoutwest":3orh2exz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3orh2exz said:
ga.prime":3orh2exz said:
I order quite a bit of stuff from Amazon. Avoiding sales tax has nothing to do with it. Not one thing I buy from Amazon can be bought locally and most of it I wouldn't even know where to find it if I had to. Maybe in a store 100 miles from here, maybe not. Just about anything you can think of can be found on Amazon and delivered to your back door in 2 days with no shipping charges and if it ships from anywhere other than Ga., there's no sales tax. I think it's great.

I also agree with you but there should be sales tax collected and forwarded to the Georgia Dept of Revenue.

And it sure beats the taxation rate in Europe and Canada! :banana:

Sounds like you're well on your way to joining us! Congrats! Must not be many red states left - more like purple. :D

001-minefield-warning-signs.jpg

I do a lot of shopping on Amazon and don't mind paying the tax. I use them mostly for convenience and availability. The problem is not just the competition for Mom and Pops. Without the tax to the local governing bodies, who us going to pay the Police and Firemen and all the other services we expect in this country.
Disclaimer: This is not to say that we always get the Bang for our Buck.

I can't understand how Amazon can sell some items so cheap. I was the car audio buyer where I work before we completely quit the line.
We were supposedly set up to buy direct from manufacturers at the best price.
In reality, I could buy Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer from Amazon free shipping and no tax cheaper.
One of the last straws for me for even selling car audio was i had a customer needing a specific subwoofer box. I put together a 2000.00 order to get prepaid freight called it in and was told would take two weeks.
I happened to look on Amazon and the specific box was 20.00 cheaper than my cost and could have in two Days.

I cancelled the whole direct order . Bought from a Amazon and sold to customer. Also canceled dealer agreement with audioenhancers . Went with a different brand but eventually just quit, now there are no car audio stores within 100 miles of town.

Today, after my last post, I drove down a major road in a mid-size city and observed the following: In all of the small to medium shopping centers there were real estate signs showing properties for sale and vacant bldgs. The only businesses I saw were nail parlors,eating establishments (no one cooks any longer), and used car lots. Many former retail shops were buttoned up. Many of these were family businesses that were established by "refuges" or hard working immigrants from the old country. The others were young entrepreneurs who busted bu** to get a business started and had to fold. This was the American Way, but it no longer can survive with technology. I will definitely think hard before clicking Amazon again.

A side note: A doctor told me this today....

We think Robots are the problem with unemployment.
Wait until they invent Mexican Robots!

bbirder":tzt8bof6 said:
Today, after my last post, I drove down a major road in a mid-size city and observed the following: In all of the small to medium shopping centers there were real estate signs showing properties for sale and vacant bldgs. The only businesses I saw were nail parlors,eating establishments (no one cooks any longer), and used car lots. Many former retail shops were buttoned up. Many of these were family businesses that were established by "refuges" or hard working immigrants from the old country. The others were young entrepreneurs who busted bu** to get a business started and had to fold. This was the American Way, but it no longer can survive with technology. I will definitely think hard before clicking Amazon again.

A side note: A doctor told me this today....

We think Robots are the problem with unemployment.
Wait until they invent Mexican Robots!
Well, to be fair, it's been that way long before Amazon or the internet came along.
The world, especially the business sector of America has been constantly re-inventing itself for many decades.
Even more so with small business. In my area, in several different towns I've lived near or in, and in the town I grew up in, businesses close and another opens in it's place in the same building, but there are just too many businesses vying for the same customers for many to stay in business for a lengthy period of time.
Such, is the thinly sliced pie of American capitalism.

you walk into a local place.. 80% of the time they don't even say hi anymore.. don't thank you for what you bought.. and if they do have what you're looking for its 50% marked up.

I don't have a problem with local shopping, but I do have a problem putting a bunch of money in someones pocket for no reason other then convenience. It's too easy to drive another 15 minutes and get that 'deal' or just click online and have it shipped right to me for a cheaper price.

Bestoutwest":36s4lvga said:
TennesseeTuxedo":36s4lvga said:
ga.prime":36s4lvga said:

I am taxed on all online purchases, it went through our state legislature. And I live in one of the reddest states in America! Taxes....they're coming for you, too! :lol2: I don't mind paying it, honestly, b/c the prices are still cheaper and it pays for essential services (what I tell myself so I can sleep at night). And it sure beats the taxation rate in Europe and Canada! :banana:
While I agree our taxes are ridiculous, on the other hand a medical problem doesn't bankrupt people.. and the American medical system is the most expensive in the world compared to GDP
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... thcare.asp

ddd75":18v40zc1 said:
you walk into a local place.. 80% of the time they don't even say hi anymore.. don't thank you for what you bought.. and if they do have what you're looking for its 50% marked up.

I don't have a problem with local shopping, but I do have a problem putting a bunch of money in someones pocket for no reason other then convenience. It's too easy to drive another 15 minutes and get that 'deal' or just click online and have it shipped right to me for a cheaper price.
As long as online retailers don't get taxpayer subsidized "deals" on postage I'd say that's a free market