Amazing Pasture means Fat Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have 80 acres. Discounting infrastructure, hayfield and two small wooded areas the rest is clear wide open pasture. The forage is very diverse. Fescue constitutes approximately 50% of my forage. Lots of ledino, red, and Dutch white clover. Bluegrass, lespedeza, orchard grass and Timothy.

Before someone asks, yes they are eating grain. This is on my back 30 pasture. Meaning 30 acres. Once a week I dump 50 pounds of a 12 % protein feed in that homemade feeder. The purpose: If I need to move a cow to the front of the farm for treatment, I can put feed in that trough, hook it behind the Cub Cadet and drag the whole herd where ever I want them to go. There are 9 cows back there. I have the cows with spring calves in the north pasture and the fall replacement heifers in the breeding pasture. All the other cows look like this.
14llnvd.jpg

Look like they need to be on a diet. I feed my cattle about one time a month to keep them honest. Never seen the need to feed weekly just to keep them coming to a bucket. I believe I'd be adding some cows to my herd given the prices right now.

looks like you could feed a few more with no or minimal added expense

I added two cows to the back 30 this morning. So 11 head back there. I think it would handle more. I get different opinions on the stocking rate. I am gradually gaining experience on what my carrying capacity is. I am retaining two of my fall heifers and I bought two bred heifers from Fire Sweep Simmentals back in March.

They look like a lot of my girls. And yes, they get maybe a handful of cubes even in the summer but it's primarily for the calves; get 'em started young, we don't have to creep & weaning is easier.

This post sure makes me feel better-I get a Lot of flack for feeding my cows grain in summer. But, when I need to doctor them, it proves to be an invaluable practice! Case in point; had a calf that swallowed a hedge ball. Used the grain to get him & mama in the pens. Vet came out & used tube to push hedge ball down & thankfully, calf's ok.

reeler":a9qybyxe said:
This post sure makes me feel better-I get a Lot of flack for feeding my cows grain in summer. But, when I need to doctor them, it proves to be an invaluable practice! Case in point; had a calf that swallowed a hedge ball. Used the grain to get him & mama in the pens. Vet came out & used tube to push hedge ball down & thankfully, calf's ok.

Exactly! One of our bulls has had a slight limp so I hand fed him Sustain III boluses today, alternating with cubes. I'll watch a couple more days to see if that takes care of it but if I need to bring him in it's as simple as shaking the bucket. Most of our Spring calves are already hand feeders & it makes life so much easier if we have to doctor them, move them, etc.

Glad your calf is okay. Hedge balls terrify me!

Exactly! One of our bulls has had a slight limp so I hand fed him Sustain III boluses today, alternating with cubes. I'll watch a couple more days to see if that takes care of it but if I need to bring him in it's as simple as shaking the bucket. Most of our Spring calves are already hand feeders & it makes life so much easier if we have to doctor them, move them, etc.

Glad your calf is okay. Hedge balls terrify me![/quote]
Thanks for your response. How's your bull? I'm not familiar with Sustain lll blouses, could you give me more info on that? Get from vet? Thanks!

reeler":29khogzn said:

Glad your calf is okay. Hedge balls terrify me!
Thanks for your response. How's your bull? I'm not familiar with Sustain lll blouses, could you give me more info on that? Get from vet? Thanks![/quote]

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... b0d0204ae5

I get them through Valley Vet (above link) and in advanced cases of foot rot use them in conjunction with LA300 or Draxxon. I also always have a supply of Sustain Calf boluses for scours, pneumonia, etc. And Chester is doing much better already, thanks for asking :)

Thanks TC Ranch for info. Believe it or not, I had a cow limping, & used the bolus you suggested, along with meds. Cow is already doing better! A friend had the bolus pills, & used vet gun for meds. Heat was dangerously hot & couldn't get her to chute. Appreciate your help. Is Chester 100 percent? (Sorry, this probably isn't the "proper" way to respond on this post)

reeler":11cb0ucq said:
Thanks TC Ranch for info. Believe it or not, I had a cow limping, & used the bolus you suggested, along with meds. Cow is already doing better! A friend had the bolus pills, & used vet gun for meds. Heat was dangerously hot & couldn't get her to chute. Appreciate your help. Is Chester 100 percent? (Sorry, this probably isn't the "proper" way to respond on this post)

He is! I was watching him yesterday & couldn't remember which foot he was favoring, had to refer to my notes. Yay, no chute :) That said, it's possible he just tweaked it & needed a couple days. I generally do the "sniff test" on a cow in the pasture with a wonky foot either by pulling debris from between the hoof or inserting a stick/screwdriver; if it has the unmistakable, vile smell of foot rot I'll start with the Sustain - but I had no interest getting that up-close-n-personal with a bull, even a docile one, so was a little more aggressive starting w/Sustain instead of aspirin.