Am I the only one. . .

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I worked out a deal with a neighbor for there full line of silage equipment; New Holland 718 chopper, one row corn head, IH 56 blower, Gehl 1580 blower, Badger 950 wagon, and a Knight wagon. The chopper has probably had less than 500 acres through it.
The price; a years worth of square bales (600) for there show sheep.
So on the first 90° day of the summer I was riding a rack stacking bales, and I got to thinking. I'm I the only one dumb enough to work this hard, just to have equipment so I can work harder this fall?

Went to WI last week and bought a 790w hay head. Chopped ten acres of rye, worked like a charm. :D

You sound a lot like one of our neighbors. Former military sniper, Lineman for the electric company, farmer, has some cattle and will barter for almost anything, always working. Plus one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. But congrats on the new equipment!

Am I the only one dumb enough to leave the cushy corporate world so I can spend quality hours freezing in the winter, sweating in the summer, get the snot beat outta me and generally smell like a bovine?

We had a New Holland 718 chopper for several years, good chopper. Neighbor has a 717 NH chopper and some of the parts are no longer available. It is pretty scary on older equipment as companies sell and the new owners could care less about maintaining parts for older equipment.

Trading hay for equipment is not a bad ideal. For 600 square bales you did good.

O9275D.JPG

TCRanch said:
You sound a lot like one of our neighbors. Former military sniper, Lineman for the electric company, farmer, has some cattle and will barter for almost anything, always working. Plus one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. But congrats on the new equipment!

Am I the only one dumb enough to leave the cushy corporate world so I can spend quality hours freezing in the winter, sweating in the summer, get the snot beat outta me and generally smell like a bovine?

Isn't it GREAT!
My most tranquil relaxing time of day is feeding cows in the winter, just as the sun sets. With a little old tractor and feed wagon.

I'm not sure they could pay me enough to work in the corporate world.

Thanks, it's always more fun using your own "toys" to farm.

TCRanch said:

Well Oliver Wendell Douglas from Green Acres comes to mind except he had sense enough not to mess with cattle.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TCRanch said:

Well Oliver Wendell Douglas from Green Acres comes to mind except he had sense enough not to mess with cattle.

Ironically, the local paper wrote an article about us: Green Acres, Winfield Edition. :lol: Except hubby was a CEO instead of a lawyer and I had a job, stilettos and everything. I remember the day he said "Lets buy cows!" Say WHAT?!?! And yet, here I am.

... who wants to have fun tonight?
Is there anybody out there who wants to have a cold beer Kick it to the morning light
If I have to raise hell all by myself I will but y'all, that ain't right
It's time to get it on
Am I the only one who wants to have fun tonight?

:kid: Couldnt help it. I'm a counterfeit cow man... I know.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TCRanch said:

Been watching those reruns, and I gotta say, if he would have had cattle, probably still be on tv today!lmao!

I had retired and sold out on the Washington coast. We were temporarily living in south central Washington while searching for a place to buy. I got to helping a rancher who is a shirttail relative of the wife for something to do. It kept me from going crazy just sitting around the house. We found and purchased this place. People were asking our rancher friend why we (at our age, 66 & 65) were a ranch. He told them if he had to explain it to them they would never understand.

Latest posts