Am I lacking anything supplement wise for heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms":abqdh0z6 said:
I ask because I am curious and I'm just starting out. My dad always tells me it doesn't cost any money to ask, but if you ask and learn maybe it will help you out sometime.

j&l the cattle look good. I would get rid of all the blocks including the protein block, and buy a bag of good loose mineral with salt in it. Put it out so they have free access to it. Should be all they need. Trace mineral blocks are a complete waste of money, salt blocks in general don't allow them to get all the salt they really need.

You got yourself started. Keep working. We don't have a lot of the younger generation interested in cattle. It is refreshing to see someone getting into the business.

They have to be healthy enough to breed regularly and to raise a nice calf. Any supplement beyond that is too much, in my opinion. Just keep them healthy and earn a few nickels when you can.

Look I was in your same shoes a few years ago when I started. You will get very good info, very bad info, the guys that just like to start trouble, and the guys that will have something negative to say no matter what on this board. You will learn who they are and take it with the grain of sand that their opinion is worth. It doesnt do anything to dig your self a hole with some of these people. Trust me I have worn out many a shovel. Lose the block get good mineral and mix 50/50 with salt. Depending on the hay I will feed grain to keep them in good condition. Most on here will say only grass but until you have great genetics that do well on grass and great pastures keep feeding them what you want if your pocket can handle it. Most of the time the guys that criticize cow pics dont post any of there own. I wonder why. Enjoy the board and everyone on it.

Don't go too hard on Brute he's a smart kid and has his head on straight
He just needs a little help in the tact department

backhoeboogie":3okkcr14 said:
You got yourself started. Keep working. We don't have a lot of the younger generation interested in cattle. It is refreshing to see someone getting into the business.

They have to be healthy enough to breed regularly and to raise a nice calf. Any supplement beyond that is too much, in my opinion. Just keep them healthy and earn a few nickels when you can.
2X.

Look at the shape of the manure patties. If they mound up then supplement protein. If they make regular patties your ok.

Your grass will get growing pretty soon so just use a Hi_Mag loose mineral.
You can probably feed less often now that the heifers have adjusted to you.

J&L, Not to repeat what's been offered but I agree with Tom, Southern States has a decent mineral program for your area. Spring of the year you may want to consider their high mag with IGR (for flies). You need to start the IGR early for best results. It'll be about 22% salt. At that point you don't need any blocks out. I never use them.
Good Luck with the heifers.

fitz

shaz":1b0wkn23 said:
Look at the shape of the manure patties. If they mound up then supplement protein. If they make regular patties your ok.

Your grass will get growing pretty soon so just use a Hi_Mag loose mineral.
You can probably feed less often now that the heifers have adjusted to you.
Good suggestion on the hi mag with the lush green grass of spring.
If you aren't familiar with the why of magnesium (J&L) it helps prevent tetany. Comes on quick and by the time you notice it, it's really hard to do anything to keep 'em from dying. I don't worry much about it in the spring but I do when my fall/winter forage gets to growing fast. Depends on what kind of grass you have, fertilize schedules and what natural elements you may be lacking in your soil.

Don't get too worried about the way people here at CT answer--it's one of the few places on the web you are guaranteed to get straight, hard nosed answers and critiques, instead of a bunch of "Aw-- how cute--what are their names?" type answers that do little or nothing to address why ya posted in the first place. Cattle are expensive, and generally, we all want straight up no bs answers, even if they seem a bit harsh at 1st glance.
(I posted a pic of a young beefmaster bull once and was bluntly told:
"He missed his callin'--should have been a steer".
Guess what? It's worse than that--He should have been working but never showed no interest in anything other than my Charolais bull. queer as a 3 $ bill.)
Live and learn...

Latest posts