Am I lacking anything supplement wise for heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
I am just curious if yall feed anything extra I don't. I know everyone has different needs and requirements but I'm talking about in general. I have 4 angus heifers that will be bred this year sometime. Here is what I have out now:

Big 6 salt/mineral block:
Salt (min.) 96.0%, Salt (max.) 99.0%, Manganese (min.) 2,400 ppm, Iron (min.) 2,400 ppm, Copper (min.) 260 ppm, Copper (max.) 380 ppm, Zinc (min.) 320 ppm, Iodine (min.) 70 ppm, Cobalt (min.) 40 ppm.
I also keep a loose trace mineral mixing salt in the barn at all times.

Protein block:
37% block is normally always out

Feed:
I usually feed 1 gallon of a 12% medicated beef extender every other day.

Hay:
I keep a roll of hay out at all times made up of mostly fescue. I also give them a square bale once every few weeks that is a fescue alfalfa mix.

What do yall think about this? Am I missing anything or do I have too much of anything? What do yall give your cattle?

We winter all our cattle - outside in all weather conditions - on the following:

Round bales of hay - any type as long as it has at least 7-9% protein.

Free choice mineral

Blue salt block winter - brown block (hi-boot) in summer

Some corn - they only get this when I have it - if I do not have it they go without.

In the summer the only change is definitely no corn, and hay is replaced with grass.

If our cattle cannot make it on this I do not want them.

So, I would toss the fancy salt block - go straight blue in winter and brown in summer, toss the fancy beef feed stuff, toss the protein block - if your hay is any good (get it tested!!!) it will be enough and put the money you save in a box under the bed. Cow does not need anything more than 8-12% at the best of times. Much more than 12% or thereabouts and she just pizzes it out the back end anyways.

You need to stop spending so much money.

It might not be so much per day - but multiply this by 365 and what do you get?

In fact you can save a fortune and put it to your next vacation or another cow next year.

Best to you.

Cheers

Bez

Depending on the value of the hay nothing more may be needed, but again that depends on the hay.
Heifers have higher nutreint requirements to achieve appropriate size in order to calf without incident
I would caution to not over feed and get them too fat, which could be worse than under feeding.
But I would say the protein block is probably not doing much and 1 gallon(not much in a gallon) of feed ever other day it's not enough to harm.

You are really overdoing it. :)

You don't need the medicated feed, because you're not fattening them up on grain, so stop feeding that.

The protein block may be a bit much, if any a protein supplement of only around 14 to 20% is more than enough for these heifers. So, yep, out with the protein block.

I also agree with getting rid of the salt block that only has trace mineral. You're getting enough mineral as it is with the loose stuff.

Always remember, less is more.

I never seen your other posts, so how old are these heifers and what is their condition (body condition score)?

I spend a little more money than I have to, but I partly do this because when I first bought my heifers they were a little behind other peoples so I bumped up what I fed. Also they were extremly crazy so I started feeding them sweet feed to get them to trust me. Now they are at the point where I can get them in the barn if I need to, yet they are cautious enough of me that they stay far enough away I dont have to worry about getting kicked or them running me over to get to the feed. The feed is like $16/hundred and it lasts me about a month, the protein block is $7 and last me about 2 or 3 months and when it runs out I just buy it next time I have a few extra dollars, and the salt block is $6 and it will probably last me longer than I have these heifers as it stays dry in the barn. With that being said when grass starts growing again I plan on taking them off the extra feed as I don't think its neccessary(I think they eat lesss hay when I feed. Once I tested it and had to buy another roll a week sooner than usuall.)

These heifers are nearing 15 months. I dont know exactly because the guy I bought them from had no clue he just put hay out everyonce in a while and let them be cows. They are 800-900 pounds now. I have read some stuff about the BCS but I'm not familiar enough to give a number. If you look at some of my other post I have a picture of 2 or 3 of them on there. I believe it was the one about seeing if they were ready to breed yet.

j&lfarms":2zsuk2jq said:
I spend a little more money than I have to, but I partly do this because when I first bought my heifers they were a little behind other peoples so I bumped up what I fed. Also they were extremly crazy so I started feeding them sweet feed to get them to trust me. Now they are at the point where I can get them in the barn if I need to, yet they are cautious enough of me that they stay far enough away I dont have to worry about getting kicked or them running me over to get to the feed. The feed is like $16/hundred and it lasts me about a month, the protein block is $7 and last me about 2 or 3 months and when it runs out I just buy it next time I have a few extra dollars, and the salt block is $6 and it will probably last me longer than I have these heifers as it stays dry in the barn. With that being said when grass starts growing again I plan on taking them off the extra feed as I don't think its neccessary(I think they eat lesss hay when I feed. Once I tested it and had to buy another roll a week sooner than usuall.)

These heifers are nearing 15 months. I dont know exactly because the guy I bought them from had no clue he just put hay out everyonce in a while and let them be cows. They are 800-900 pounds now. I have read some stuff about the BCS but I'm not familiar enough to give a number. If you look at some of my other post I have a picture of 2 or 3 of them on there. I believe it was the one about seeing if they were ready to breed yet.

Then why even ask?

By the way if you cut out the things being discussed you will save around 250 bucks a year using your numbers.

If I put 250 one dollar bills on the ground in your front yard will you go and pick them up, or let them blow away?

When farming/ranching this is the type of expense you need to watch.

Put the money to your next vet bill because sooner or later you will have one.

Plenty big enough to breed at 8-900 pounds.

Bez

I ask because I am curious and I'm just starting out. My dad always tells me it doesn't cost any money to ask, but if you ask and learn maybe it will help you out sometime.

They got too much hair to really tell what condition they're in, but as was mentioned, even though you do want them to gain weight, they shouldn't gain too much otherwise it compromises their ability to breed on time.

They are a little on the plump size. Like a 6 maybe according to BCS. Keep in mind im not familiar with this scale. I'm just estimating based on reading the descriptions for each rating.

Sorry if this comes across harsh. It could be bad pics or an ackward stage but in all honestly, IMO, your trowing good money after bad. First thought that came to my mind is " more sub-par angus junk".

Hopefully I'm wrong but really scrutinize them. Those heifers look like they have plenty of feed. Its genetics holding them back now. I have been wrong before though so take that opinion for what its worth.

j&lfarms":1wk9b0er said:
I am just curious if yall feed anything extra I don't. I know everyone has different needs and requirements but I'm talking about in general. I have 4 angus heifers that will be bred this year sometime. Here is what I have out now:

Big 6 salt/mineral block:
Salt (min.) 96.0%, Salt (max.) 99.0%, Manganese (min.) 2,400 ppm, Iron (min.) 2,400 ppm, Copper (min.) 260 ppm, Copper (max.) 380 ppm, Zinc (min.) 320 ppm, Iodine (min.) 70 ppm, Cobalt (min.) 40 ppm.
I also keep a loose trace mineral mixing salt in the barn at all times.

Protein block:
37% block is normally always out

Feed:
I usually feed 1 gallon of a 12% medicated beef extender every other day.

Hay:
I keep a roll of hay out at all times made up of mostly fescue. I also give them a square bale once every few weeks that is a fescue alfalfa mix.

What do yall think about this? Am I missing anything or do I have too much of anything? What do yall give your cattle?

I will give you my thoughts since we are in the same area.

The Big 6 you are feeding is not much more than trace mineral. Copper is pretty low for our area. Southern States is close to you and you can get a better mineral, feed it and skip the loose trace mineral.

I would also skip the protien block myself.

On the feed if you are splitting a gallon of feed between the 4 you not over feeding. You may just want to do it a couple times a week. A treat once in a while keeps them gentle and helps with getting them up to work them.

I would keep decent hay available until grass gets good, I usually keep it out until they stop eating on it.

You didn't ask this but I will mention it.
Seen your other post about breeding them, lepto is common in our area so i would make sure you vaccinate them before breeding.

Others may disagree, my thoughts may only be worth what they just cost you.

I agree with what Tom said
I don't think the heifers are bad maybe not great and I'm sure you could get lots better but at what cost
I think they'll be fine and you can improve later after you learn what works best for you

I'm sure all of you had to start somewhere right? I, unlike some people in this world was not handed anything I have. I actually work for what I have and don't sit around waiting on handouts. With that being said I took my entire summers saving and bought these heifers. While other 17 year olds partied and drove around burning gas, I chose a little different pathway, a more productive one. So before you run my cows into the ground know that I am doing the best I can and that I had bought the best I could with what I had. And before this hurts anyones feelings and y'all run off and make a post about you having the right to give answers even when they are not what one wants to hear, I reserve the right to let you know how I feel about what you said.

j&lfarms":1h68n88m said:
I'm sure all of you had to start somewhere right? I, unlike some people in this world was not handed anything I have. I actually work for what I have and don't sit around waiting on handouts. With that being said I took my entire summers saving and bought these heifers. While other 17 year olds partied and drove around burning gas, I chose a little different pathway, a more productive one. So before you run my cows into the ground know that I am doing the best I can and that I had bought the best I could with what I had. And before this hurts anyones feelings and y'all run off and make a post about you having the right to give answers even when they are not what one wants to hear, I reserve the right to let you know how I feel about what you said.

They are a heck of a lot better than what I started with
I applaud you for what you are doing and remeber the only person you have to keep happy is you(until marriage then throw that out the window)
Your on the right path, keep doing what your doing

My rant was aimed only at one person in particular. I am very greatful for the other replies. Everyone thinks different and the more you ask the more you learn. There was one particular post that was wrote in a way that you could tell the poster was one of those people who is always right and thinks they are better than others. What I wanted to say has been said so i'll drop it.

I kind of thought that I could have been doing a little much so I posted this to see what I thought needed to be dropped based on the replies. I have consistent replies so now maybe I'll save a little money.

Latest posts