Am i feeding the proper feed???

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
I have 2 bred heifers, 3 steers that are yearlings which will be slaughtered next year, and 2 weanling heifer calfs. I am in vermont, so it gets windy, with freezing rain/sleet a lot, and we usually have snow jan through march. Temps usually not much below zero, but with the wind they are. Anyways, i have been free feeding my cows mostly timothy/grass mix hay, then they get beet pulp soaked in water (after its soaked up its a 5 gallon bucket full for all of them), then a even mix of alfalfa/timothy or alfalfa pellets, 12% pro all stock sweet feed (2.5% fat), and corn when its really cold. They have a salt block and a sweet lix mineral block. Are they getting the proper nutrition? They all look nice and fat to me.

VtMapleGal":2ot9x1nk said:
I have 2 bred heifers, 3 steers that are yearlings which will be slaughtered next year, and 2 weanling heifer calfs. I am in vermont, so it gets windy, with freezing rain/sleet a lot, and we usually have snow jan through march. Temps usually not much below zero, but with the wind they are. Anyways, i have been free feeding my cows mostly timothy/grass mix hay, then they get beet pulp soaked in water (after its soaked up its a 5 gallon bucket full for all of them), then a even mix of alfalfa/timothy or alfalfa pellets, 12% pro all stock sweet feed (2.5% fat), and corn when its really cold. They have a salt block and a sweet lix mineral block. Are they getting the proper nutrition? They all look nice and fat to me.

Do they have a windbreak, a fence or some trees where they can go to get out of the wind a bit? I am amazed at how comfortable cattle can be outdoors in cold and snow but they really need a place where the wind isn't as strong.

We hit about 25 deg F below zero a couple mornings in WI last winter and it didn't really seem to affect the cattle - as long as they can get out of the wind.

I am turning into an "outwintering" fan - but they do need a draw or trees etc as a windbreak. good luck.

All that my cows are getting is late cut grass hay, with mineral block. There doing very well with it and I'm satified with there condition as of now. When it get's colder I'll give them a little extra, but I do have two older ones I'll call in and give them 10 pounds of 12% grain daliy. There the oldest ones 10 and 8 and are on the skinny side.

are you feeding these calves all together as a group????

I would separate them by weight classes, first
Then I wouldnt be feeding those bred heifers like they were slaughter steers
then I would perhaps buy some feed at the Mill and stop the bag madness-- who is paying for your feed?
T

4CTophand":13ix63tt said:
are you feeding these calves all together as a group????

I would separate them by weight classes, first
Then I wouldnt be feeding those bred heifers like they were slaughter steers
then I would perhaps buy some feed at the Mill and stop the bag madness-- who is paying for your feed?
T

Tophand you're talking a lot of BS here for a 7 cow operation. If this setup is working I wouldn't change a thing especially if it's my cattle, my feed, my money and gonna be my meat in the freezer.

If this setup is working I wouldn't change a thing especially if it's my cattle, my feed, my money and gonna be my meat in the freezer.
Well Tex -- all different weight classes and differing life stages need to be fed separately-- you dont feed 500 lb calves in the same pen as 1000 lb calves -- but go ahead and watch the action and see which cattle are getting the feed and which ones are standing off to one side ---getting none --- as for bred heifers --- you dont want to feed them the same ration as you would feed a slaughter steer-- what are you smoking ovr there? Like you said it is your money, but I wasnt talking about your money and that isnt even the subject here-- try to stay on topic
T

Toby L.":33vygaaz said:
All that my cows are getting is late cut grass hay, with mineral block. There doing very well with it and I'm satified with there condition as of now. When it get's colder I'll give them a little extra, but I do have two older ones I'll call in and give them 10 pounds of 12% grain daliy. There the oldest ones 10 and 8 and are on the skinny side.

Colder? Up here I expect this Dec. as the coldest month of them all. brrrrrrrrr it has been COLD! If it gets any colder I am moving!

4CTophand":13khkp2x said:
If this setup is working I wouldn't change a thing especially if it's my cattle, my feed, my money and gonna be my meat in the freezer.
Well Tex -- all different weight classes and differing life stages need to be fed separately-- you dont feed 500 lb calves in the same pen as 1000 lb calves -- but go ahead and watch the action and see which cattle are getting the feed and which ones are standing off to one side ---getting none --- as for bred heifers --- you dont want to feed them the same ration as you would feed a slaughter steer-- what are you smoking ovr there? Like you said it is your money, but I wasnt talking about your money and that isnt even the subject here-- try to stay on topic
T

Well he said they were fat and sassy. Sounds like everyone is doing well with his method. And the reply was on topic dude. YOU asked who was paying for the feed. Loosen up, relax and learn. :nod:

I find it intersesting that you say you are paying for her feed-- when you dont even know that Maplegal is a gal ... Gonna have to call BS on ya Tex You are still off Topic but thats ok -- evidently you didnt read the first Post or even who made it whether they were male or female --but hey you are in TX --they may name dudes Gal there.. now Relax Tex Im sure it isnt the first time someone caught ya in a FUBAR and Im sure Maple Gal will be sending you a nice message for calling her a dude
T

4C.....I don't think "she" is upset that I missed her sex. Gender has nothing to do with the question. And I'm not paying for "her" feed...didn't even imply that. Fact is the cattle are doing well on the present feeding program. No need for any changes. :tiphat:

wow, didnt realize the post would cause a bitch fest. Yes im a girl, and yes i own and run my own farm. Mostly pigs, and horses, but am really getting into the beef cows. I already get a lot of **** for it. Im a 25 year old vet tech, so do most of my own work, and really have had to prove myself with some of the closes minded men that run the farms around here. Im used to it, and am not afriad to ask for help when im unsure. Because im a vet tech im pritty picky how my animals are kept (i see all sorts of abuse cases ect while at work we legally can not report, it drives me nuts). anyways...here is a list of my cows and who is getting what.

Girrlie- 2 1/2 year old Simmintal Heifer who didnt take to A.I. Last year, so she is being exposed to a bull right now.
She is getting free choice hay, 4 pounds 12% feed, and about 4 cups soaked beet pulp. On real cold days she also gets 2 cups alfalfa/timothy cubes soaked with the beet pulp, and an extra 2 pounds of grain.

Mayelline- 3Yr old Simmental heifer who also didnt take A.I. Last year, also being exposed to a bull right now. She is an easy keeper, built like a tank. She gets the same as Girrlie.

Pal- 1 1/2 year old Jersey steer. Being raised for meat. Gets free choice hay and 4 pounds of 12% grain 3 times a day, beet pulp once a day (about 4 cups) and when really cold the timothy/alfalfa cubes. Looks very good for a jersey, you cant see ribs or anything. Kinda has a big "hay belly"

Bullet & Snoopy- 1 1/2 year old Beefalo steers-for slaughter. They both get free chocie hay and 6 pounds of 12% grain once a day, but snoopy doesnt really care for his grain. Id say about 1/3 time he doesnt come for it. Neither like beet pulp, but i try to sneek it in. If its warm they will eat it. On really cold days they both get the hay cubes. Both are in excellent shape, if not heavy.

Jewel- 4 month old Beefalo Heifer. Will be a breeding cow. She was outside with the herd, and getting free choice hay, but didnt come for grain (she hung out with snoopy a lot), and was getting a big fat hay belly, so i brought her in the barn and now she gets 4 pounds of 12% grain a day. She is looking better. She also wont eat the beet pulp. She shares a stall with 2 Jersey steers (5 months old), and they all get about a bale of hay for the 3 of them. They get 8 pounds of 12% grain a day.

Sometimes on real cold days i also give them corn. I buy by the bag and not bulk because i dont have a way to store bulk feed, and there is VERY limited places to get bulk feed in vermont. Right now i pay $18 per 100 pounds for the 12%grain im feeding. They always have fresh clean water and a salt block. I also try to have a sweetlix vitamin and mineral block for them too, but i swear they would eat 10 a day if they could, and at 20 bucks a piece, they are limited on them. They have a tractor trailer box they can get in out of the wind and cold, and share it with 3 horses, so with all the cows and horses it gets pritty warm. Today its -3 out and very windy. Normally in vermont it doesnt get much below 0. Right now we have about 2/12 feet of snow on the ground.

Hope that helps!

Like I said before.....It's working for you so I wouldn't change a thing. Keep up the good work and best wishes. ;-)

I can have my feed store order some cattle minerals made by nutreena, but the problem with that is that my horses are out with the cows, and they cant have it i dont think. Ill try to post pics of everyone soon. Really my main concern are the cows who are getting bred or will be breeding stock in the future.

I am assuming everyone is saying push the grain to them to make them grow faster? In my neck of the woods "grass fed" is the thing thats hot right now. I honestly dont care how big they get, by the end of next summer they are going to be huge and im not going to have enough freezer space anyways lol.

VtMapleGal":nqsmgxta said:
I am assuming everyone is saying push the grain to them to make them grow faster? In my neck of the woods "grass fed" is the thing thats hot right now. I honestly dont care how big they get, by the end of next summer they are going to be huge and im not going to have enough freezer space anyways lol.
There are also nutritional requiremtns that in some cases mandate grain to just let them develop properly. Really poor quality hay is the main reason.

baxter78":2crejnvt said:
Keep doing what you are doing and dont listen to 4c or whatever his name is. His philosophies might work in an 80 cow operation but not in a 7 cow operation that is for danged sure.
another sod buster remark

VtMapleGal":361ndkxy said:
wow, didnt realize the post would cause a be nice fest. Yes im a girl, and yes i own and run my own farm. Mostly pigs, and horses, but am really getting into the beef cows. I already get a lot of be nice for it. Im a 25 year old vet tech, so do most of my own work, and really have had to prove myself with some of the closes minded men that run the farms around here. Im used to it, and am not afriad to ask for help when im unsure.

Good for you. You don't have to prove anything here. "Most" of us are here to try and help.

If what you are doing is working well, then it works. :nod:

Colder? Up here I expect this Dec. as the coldest month of them all. brrrrrrrrr it has been COLD! If it gets any colder I am moving!

What I consider cold is when your canadian air gets pushed down here, and it's 20 or 30 below for 2 weeks strait. Thats when things get interesting. The coldest I've seen this year was -32, that was on my way to work a couple of weeks ago. It's been staying around 0 latly , it was -11 a couple mornings ago, but it warmed right up to a balmy 7 dagrees by noon. :)

Toby L.":ng3uaplb said:
What I consider cold is when your canadian air gets pushed down here, and it's 20 or 30 below for 2 weeks strait. Thats when things get interesting. The coldest I've seen this year was -32, that was on my way to work a couple of weeks ago. It's been staying around 0 latly , it was -11 a couple mornings ago, but it warmed right up to a balmy 7 dagrees by noon. :)

What I consider cold is when the folks in MN feel they have to share the Canadian cold and it gets into the single digits. At least you do warm it up a bit before you ship it south though

Latest posts