Am I dreaming?

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Anyone else paying attention to the dairy markets? but I am seeing newborn holstien heifer calves selling around Lancaster Penna. for as much as $800! Yeeeeoooow! Wonder if this is a nationwide movement?

I got some 500-700 lb holstien heifers I gotta get up there quick before the market falls out :D

Plus I did see some grade Jersey bulls go for around $1.00 a lb at 700 lbs each. (Unheard of around here!)Good thing I didn't cut all those I been feeding for sooooo long.

Good grief!! That's unbelieveable. 15 years ago I rarely paid over $100 for a Holstein bottle calf. I realize that was a long time ago, but seems a hard way to make $$ at that price now!

A friend of mine lives in Illinois, I'll have to ask her what they're bringing at the barn.

Medic24":knczi66u said:
Anyone else paying attention to the dairy markets? but I am seeing newborn holstien heifer calves selling around Lancaster Penna. for as much as $800! Yeeeeoooow! Wonder if this is a nationwide movement?

I got some 500-700 lb holstien heifers I gotta get up there quick before the market falls out :D

Plus I did see some grade Jersey bulls go for around $1.00 a lb at 700 lbs each. (Unheard of around here!)Good thing I didn't cut all those I been feeding for sooooo long.

I recently went to the sale barn and seen about 20 head weighing around 200 lbs bring an average of $350.00 isnt that kind of avg?JHH P.S holsteins

no medic your not dreaming.for the last 2yrs.baby holstein heifershave been going from $400 to 800.here in texas.weaned calves holsteins $800 to $1000.open heifers up to $1500.bulls $400 to $1000.scott

Last week calves went for $270 and steers averaged .80-.85/cwt, not long ago you could get a week old bull calf for $50.00. Some folks up here are selling "finished" steers for 1.40 to 1.60 lb on the rail. We still get two bucks for real beef.
DMc

Medic24":1vl0nee7 said:

I hope the price of cattle and wheat goes up. I also hope fuel does down. It seems like everything you make an income off of has high demand BUT the prices are still low. Everything that is an expense has high demand also but prices are sky high. I just thought of something the other day in the coop; it is going to take farmers around here a bushel of wheat to pay for a gallon of farm diesel before to long!

The reason those baby girls is high is poor genetic selection. They used a line of bulls with very high milk and protien production that had poor foot and leg structure. They now have a majority of cows that are culled at 4 or 5 years because of unsound feet and legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts