Always something…. Eye problems.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
This has happened to many times… usually a fox tail but when I first encountered it last year I was treating it as pink eye. After a week of no improvement, I spoke with my vet again and he gave me some proparacaine drops to numb the eye (this was a case from last year).
C3BDC832-E1E2-41D8-A22A-B3D8D3A79193.jpeg
Pulled out a fox tail, but boy was it hard when she was clenching her eye shut so tight, I cannot imagine the pain. This is after adding dye to see the ulceration from the foxtail.
B6BA1856-2828-4DB6-81F1-29919EC35C3E.jpeg
So tonight checking cows, I stumbled upon another painful looking eye…UGH.
6FD8238A-23C4-421B-89E8-09D1EF6F9372.jpeg
Hope to not be having to deal with this every year.

I. Hate. Foxtails.

I had to pull a cereal rye head out of an eye a couple years ago. It was amazing and disturbing at the same time, hard to believe that it was hiding in there and had to be super painful. Hopefully this will be the extent of your dealings with this.

I had to pull a cereal rye head out of an eye a couple years ago. It was amazing and disturbing at the same time, hard to believe that it was hiding in there and had to be super painful. Hopefully this will be the extent of your dealings with this.
It is totally amazing and disturbing! Like I said I can't imagine the pain… so this morning I'm going to see what I can find in there.

View attachment 17187
Got her in the squeeze for a second time to look again as her eye looked better but still irritated. Pulled this swirl of hair off of her eyeball. Might have been contributing to an irritated eye? Anyway, she's much better now!
How do you tie up the head in the squeeze to get her to hold still enough?
Wow. Hats off.

That is an amazing operation....not even on my best lucky day could i take something out of the eye of my cattle. Tell me it was your fingers and not that needle-nose pliers. :unsure::D
It was a combo of my finger and pliers… it took a good while to get it out of her eye!

If you squirt a few cc's of lidocaine onto the eye (be about 4 inches away and be sure and take the needle off the syringe first) and wait 5 min, it is a lot easier -- mine don't resist much at all.

If you squirt a few cc's of lidocaine onto the eye (be about 4 inches away and be sure and take the needle off the syringe first) and wait 5 min, it is a lot easier -- mine don't resist much at all.
Yes I do apply proparacaine which helps a ton. You can get a better look at the eye and not have them clench it so tight.

Had one years ago that took a very surprising amount of pulling to get out, i couldn't believe it, thought i was going to pull her eye out. I think it may have been spear grass.

Had one years ago that took a very surprising amount of pulling to get out, i couldn't believe it, thought i was going to pull her eye out. I think it may have been spear grass.
Ugh it's awful. My vet told me to literally stick my whole finger in the eye for a good sweep. She was not kidding when she said you can literally put your entire finger in the eye socket.

Latest posts