Always one flighty one

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Saturday was the day to seperate out heifers to wean off and take over to a different place. Got everyone caught up, sorted, and hauled but one. This calf hasn't come close to the portable pens in 3 months, has a flight zone 100yds every direction, and is just a regular pia. So Sunday I took hay out to them, and put it in the pens. She wanted to go in but didnt want to get to close.
With dead eye still learnin how to move cows its been a bit of a challenge moving them and handling them but he's getting it. And with that heifer wanting to cooperate a little, he did real good and we got her caught up. By this time it was dark, so we ran home, got the trailer and went back. But as flighty as she is she didnt want even get close to the alley to the trailer. So, I roped her up in the darkness, and we pulled her into the trailer. Ran her the 20 minutes over to the other property and deployed her in the dark. It was 9 before we got back to eat supper.
But it was all worth it when dead eye looked at me, square in the eye, and said " I'm starting to get it huh dad"
Course the rest of the night he was all Punky and kept callin himself
"Big man" :lol2: i learned a few things last night too

Hope you put her in a pen . If not you might want to check and see what county she's in... :lol: :lol:

She's in a field surrounded by hog wire fence and 4 of her best friends. Haha

I believe I'd have kept her on the trailer and carried her to the sale barn. She will always be a problem child.

I believe I would have put her in a pen with a 6 foot tall solid wall around it or gone with Jo's method. I have had too many of those kind leap a hog wire fence with a single bound. And if she does stay..... how easy will it be to catch and load her next time?

Won't be hard to catch her if she gets out. Bullets are fast enough and I'm out of meat. Already decided that

Unless you have a strong willed lead cow nuts like this are infectious to the rest. Not that noticeable most of the time but when you need to work them their poison spreads fast.

Thanks Jo. If she shows any other signs of nuttiness ill move her on to the sale barn. Other than having a huge flight zone she's really laid back. The landowner of the field where they are at said they were playing this morning and she didnt make a sound all night. I'm wondering if she has an eyesight issue.

hooknline":30vracjd said:
Saturday was the day to seperate out heifers to wean off and take over to a different place. Got everyone caught up, sorted, and hauled but one. This calf hasn't come close to the portable pens in 3 months, has a flight zone 100yds every direction, and is just a regular pia. So Sunday I took hay out to them, and put it in the pens. She wanted to go in but didnt want to get to close.
With dead eye still learnin how to move cows its been a bit of a challenge moving them and handling them but he's getting it. And with that heifer wanting to cooperate a little, he did real good and we got her caught up. By this time it was dark, so we ran home, got the trailer and went back. But as flighty as she is she didnt want even get close to the alley to the trailer. So, I roped her up in the darkness, and we pulled her into the trailer. Ran her the 20 minutes over to the other property and deployed her in the dark. It was 9 before we got back to eat supper.
But it was all worth it when dead eye looked at me, square in the eye, and said " I'm starting to get it huh dad"
Course the rest of the night he was all Punky and kept callin himself
"Big man" :lol2: i learned a few things last night too

Good times there Hook, enjoy them while you can.
My oldest was my only help when I got in a wreck with a load calves when he 5 years old, I remember watching for the school bus so I'd have some help, He just turned 26, how time flies.

I hear brihop is lookin for heifers. Haha.
Hear what you guys are saying though.

haul her to town.as joe said she will mess your herd up.we had a tigerstripe that did the samething.we dont have her anymore though thankgoodness.