Always liked this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
This is Mack, he's almost 3 now. Sire and Dam comes from the Judd Ranch in Kansas. He's a registered Gelbvieh and as docile as can be. Always given us great heifer and steer calves. Big rumps and big shoulders on a his calves. Calf buyers always call us to ask about next year's calves. That's how we want it right?? We breed him on red/Black Angus cows in the spring and fall. We may keep a few of his bull calves from the fall and next springs groups and see how they do.

I like him too, our Arnold was a good boy too, don't know any of his family history but I'd have described him the same way you did.. he wasn't in-your-pocket friendly, but he never took off or pawed/snorted at you, and his sons and daughters have been great as well
He was kinda hard on that poor truck though
20140220_112206sm.jpg

Interesting bull. Lots of muscle but he don't tuck it down. Especially bold in the shoulders. Some say that is a bad indication for CE.

Raven his calves hit the ground at 72-78 lbs. Only had one bigger than that and it was 82 I believe. They grow like a weed Not one calf ever pulled from him. If I had bigger heifers I'd use him on them but I'm not sure about that.

Jeanne his calves are not hard on our cows at all. At birth they look "normal" if not a little slender. Within 60 days they are built real nice. Lots of muscle and growth. I've see pics of them off wheat after a few months and they look grown. Buyers like the added muscle.

Coosh71":388ti29y said:
Here's few calf pics I found from this spring. Like I said not monsters at birth but grow real good.

Nice calves. If you do not need to assist, the shoulders are not an issue. I like those calves. Stout little calves.

Any pictures of older calves? A bull is only as good as the calves he throws.

Holm, I'm not as good at taking weaning pics as I am when they are little but here's a few at weaning. Not flattering pics, but it's what I found

I see why they like them in the feedlot. Have you kept any heifers from him?

Yes we have, but due to spacing not many. We have room this year to keep basically all if we want. Probably cull a few, check the rest out next spring. Hopefully put our RA heifer bull on them and go from there

Coosh71":8ei8gquh said:
Yes we have, but due to spacing not many. We have room this year to keep basically all if we want. Probably cull a few, check the rest out next spring. Hopefully put our RA heifer bull on them and go from there
Have any calves out of those girls yet?

Yes we do. They look good. We haven't retained any of the calves but they grow real well and the heifers raised a first calf dang near as big as our cows. Good milk, and real gentle momma's.

We also have e a couple of his sisters that are about as good as it gets with disposition, utter etc. Just great all around cows

The pics of the calves were taken at about 8-10 months old running on stalks, grass and 20% cake supplement. I will post some pics of some calves on wheat if we get any to grow this winter.

Latest posts