Always good to get the first one under the belt

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
This time each year I start to wonder if I am still going to be up to breeding my cows. Today I started on my heifers and am pleased to report I was happy with the inseminations on the 5 I did today. I am thinking I might have to get some electrical tape to tape my little finger to my left hand, it sticks out when I try to get into the rectum. I have trouble differentiating the feel of the cervix with the grinding in my shoulder. I get nervous that I have all my gear right and ready. I always forget the thawing temp and have to look it up. Fortunately previous experience kicks in and compensates for the lack of dexterity and weakness in the old hands and arms. The remaining 5 heifers should be ready tomorrow, thank heavens they did not all come in at once. The cidrs come out of the first 11 cows on Saturday so norest for the wicked.

Ken

As long as you still enjoy what you are doing Ken, that is what is important. Hope you have a very successful breeding season this year. You could purchase an electric semen thermos that automatically keeps your water temp at the right temp. Good luck

I failed on a heifer late yesterday arvo (afternoon), a combination of being very restless and not being able to find the opening of the cervix. She was just starting to get ridden and thought I would like to get one into her as the morning is a long time away. I gave her another go this morning using some cheap semen of a young sire I am sampling. I have some very nice calves by him this year, he is a VAR Discovery son so not a wasted breeding, well I was successful twice, just to prove I could get her done. The 1st time the .25ml straw did not seal properly in the sheath and some of the semen ended between the sheath and the straw. I think this shows the benefit of biding your time. The reproductive tract can be so different 12 hours later. I also think their temperament changes when they are truly in standing heat and don't mind their backsides being played with. The one I did first up yesterday I was dreading it being the first one to do as she has been a bit up tight being handled, a lot of cranky kicking yet when I did her she was a dream to do, just stood there. I think they fancy a hand up the gringo when they are on heat.
Yes Ds, I do enjoy what I do and the challenge to get it done.

Ken

I've found a new way to heat detect. I freeze branded the heifers about a month ago and the brands have scabs on them. When they are in standing heat and the heifer mounting them gets the front legs around then it dislodges the scabs leaving the skin reddish and a bit raw. I use tail paint on them and it will often get scuffed with just playing around but if the brand looks raw I know they are truly on heat. The only problem is I'll probably never have the timing right again.

Ken

I think it's always a bit tricky when you don't have enough numbers to do to keep your practice and touch up. And wow, watching the embryologists do their thing is a whole other level, basically for us getting past the bladder is like them getting through the cervix.

Latest posts