Aluminum trailer floor traction

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
For those with aluminum stock trailers, what floor is in yours?
There are two options available to us. A straight floor and a floor like in pot trailers with a "hump" in the floor the length of the trailer in multiple spots. I'm a bit confused as to why the "traction" runs the length of the trailer and not the width.
What's your opinions on the floor options. I'm thinking straight floor at this point but want some opinions. We've always had steel trailers with wood floors so aluminum floor is new to us.

I have a Merritt aluminum with punch sides. Built same as their aluminum pot trailers. Diamond tread with fairly low longitudinal ridges. I bed it with pine wood shavings about 3-4" deep and clean it out and power wash it a couple times a year. The shavings will build up in the front corners and under the center gate hinge. Every few trips, I generally go in with a pitch fork and break up the corners and scatter it back out in the center. The shavings seem to provide enough traction and some cushion as well.

A straight floor and a floor like in pot trailers with a "hump" in the floor the length of the trailer in multiple spots. I'm a bit confused as to why the "traction" runs the length of the trailer and not the width.
The forward to back ridge is for strength, not traction.

I have an Eby with a floor like you mention and just use straw or shavings for traction, hay will work in a pinch but it's a pain in the butt to clean out. A pitchfork for the big clumps, then run a flat nose shovel down between the ribs and the pressure washer takes care of the rest.

The forward to back ridge is for strength, not traction.

I have an Eby with a floor like you mention and just use straw or shavings for traction, hay will work in a pinch but it's a pain in the butt to clean out. A pitchfork for the big clumps, then run a flat nose shovel down between the ribs and the pressure washer takes care of the rest.
Thank you. I was confused when the dealer tried to tell me it was for traction but ran the length of the trailer. He said maybe it's because cows stand sideways in the trailer. That didn't make sense to me.
I will be sure to have shavings or straw on hand. Thanks!

My Wilson has diamond plate flooring with ribs the run the length of the trailer. I have never had anything go down in it. And I have hauled thousands of head.

My Wilson has diamond plate flooring with ribs the run the length of the trailer. I have never had anything go down in it. And I have hauled thousands of head.
If you pack them tight enough, you'll have them go down. I don't care what kind of floor you have.

Is Wilson the better brand or is there a top tier of other brands to consider? I would like to look into an aluminum trailer in 2022.

Might look into some with the heavy rubber floors. They have ribs running in different directions and pretty well clean themselves out down the cracks between the rubber boards.
Thst being said i have pulled a Wilson for 20 years. But would consider a rubber floor if I bought a new one.

Is Wilson the better brand or is there a top tier of other brands to consider? I would like to look into an aluminum trailer in 2022.
I would say Wilson and Eby are definitely both top tier. Most any commercial hauler pulling a gooseneck or ground load here is one of those 2. Barrett was a great trailer back in the day too but now just make semi trailers. Exiss, Sooner and Keifer built are all good trailers too.

I would say Wilson and Eby are definitely both top tier. Most any commercial hauler pulling a gooseneck or ground load here is one of those 2. Barrett was a great trailer back in the day too but now just make semi trailers. Exiss, Sooner and Keifer built are all good trailers too.
Thanks.

We had Featherlite, used them hard, never had any issue. They are top-tier. We had a Wilson first, but had a problem with it being too low and dragging in places; and we had a problem with the brakes. However, I will never say they aren't a good trailer.

And with a Kiefer you can get delivery to your home or wherever you choose by a cranky old fart from VA. This week he has been to western Illinois, Georgia. and Ohio.

I am running a Featherlite and a 4 Star now. Only complaint with the Featherlite is the sliders are hard to operate. Not a great design on them. I left 4 Star off my list earlier but they are a great trailer also.

An older trailer salesman in Mississippi told me that there is a reason for them being called Featherlite. He said if you really use one he said you would understand. A good aluminum trailer must still have some weight to it.

An older trailer salesman in Mississippi told me that there is a reason for them being called Featherlite. He said if you really use one he said you would understand. A good aluminum trailer must still have some weight to it.
I would agree on the newer ones for sure. Mine is an 07 and has a good bit of aluminum in it. It has held up exceptionally well for where it has been. Sides on the new ones are about half as thick and not as corrugated so not as strong.

The man I bought my Wilson from says that they are the only aluminum trailer he will sell as they are the only make that will hold up to the places the cowboys take them. In this country they will drag a brand new trailer full of cows into places I don't like to ride a quad to.

Latest posts