Aluminum Cattle Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

rdp58

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a new cattle trailer. Looking at a WW RoustAbout and the Kiefer Kruiser. They are two different kinds of trailers, is there an advantage to one design over the other? I think I like the RoustAbout better. You can get the roustabout with two swinging back doors or one big door with 1/2 slide. What is the advantage of either? Thanks for your input.

The Kiefer makes a great horse trailer but have not seen any of their cattle trailers yet. They are built in Sneedville TN so have it built to your specks. The WW seems ok also and the owner of Kiefer sells WW also.

kenny thomas":2fff236h said:
Oh, for cattle the full door works much better. With slide, I also like a slide in the center cut gate.

Different strokes for different folks, I hate the sliders in cut gates. Went as far as to weld both of them shut on my current trailer to keep them from rattling.

Sliders on your cut gates gives you some options for sorting on the trailer. Sometimes I end up loading something that needs to stay at home.

Had to repair a lot of corrosion on airplanes, will aluminum trailers have a tendency to corrode from elements in the weather.

aluminum cracks,,iron rusts ...aluminum is way easier to fix....full door half slide..way better than butterfly's for cows...

I actually prefer butterfly gates, but very few aluminum trailers have those.

guess it depends on your setup they leave too much gap between the headcatch and the floor for em to get crazy...slide gate gets me inches from the headgate. having had both I prefer the gate

dieselbeef":x4ocprsy said:
guess it depends on your setup they leave too much gap between the headcatch and the floor for em to get crazy...slide gate gets me inches from the headgate. having had both I prefer the gate

You load by running them through the squeeze/headcatcher?

Bigfoot":1o0v3obu said:
Sliders on your cut gates gives you some options for sorting on the trailer. Sometimes I end up loading something that needs to stay at home.

This is my favorite method for loading a crazy. Put a calm one with in her, load both, then sort with the slide gate and let the calm one back out.

Also my rear door has a roll up instead of a slide. It is never in the way no matter how you load them. I pull a Wilson that I'd riveted instead of welded. After 15 years, 60,000 miles and several thousand head it has had no repairs except brakes and tires.

Stocker Steve":2azdnczq said:
True Grit Farms":2azdnczq said:
Bigfoot":2azdnczq said:
I actually prefer butterfly gates, but very few aluminum trailers have those.

I've had both and prefer the butterfly gates also.

Why?
Have never used them.

You just have a lot more options on how to load. That may not be a selling point if you load in the same place every time. You can load from either side. Open them in if need be. Open them out if need be. Open one in, and one out. They have a distinct advantage, if your loading one on the end of a rope. A cow can crash in to the one big swinging door, and spring it back. The saloon style doors can both be opened in, eliminating all of that.

It's probably a bad design, and I know it's a bad picture, but I load from here. It's also my sorting alley. It's 60' long, and ends here at 42". A swinging gate, your only option would be back perfectly straight in, and use the slider. I can back in at any angle, including straight back with saloon doors, and I'm still able to load.

Latest posts